No announcement yet.

Charm Ideas for Heirs to the Shogunate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charm Ideas for Heirs to the Shogunate?

I picked up the Sorcerer of the Scarlet Throne Kickstarter reward, which let me put a custom Charm in the Heirs to the Shogunate companion pdf. I had one in particular in mind, but when Vance sent out the mail this week, it turned out that someone else had already picked something quite similar. I do have other ideas, but since my top priority seems to be covered anyway, I thought I'd check the forum for ideas and suggestions I might not think of myself.

Feel free to present a concept you'd like to see in the pdf. I reserve the right to pick for myself in the end, but it can't hurt to think together a little.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

What idea did you have in mind?

Comment

A Wood Charm that let you pull plants and leaves from the forest to create instant clothes and finery. It'd allow you to move between the wild (or the backstreets) and into a high society social function with ease, while also giving you many opportunities to incorporate fun natural designs in your clothes. I also had an idea for them to start wilting and falling apart after a while, so you had to either reactive the Charm or find some way you could water them. That could make for a fun moment or dramatic hook during a social scene.

The other Charm was different, but still touched on the same overall idea of making instant clothing, so I figured I'd make mine something else.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Hmm. Well, not having read very thoroughly through my copies of the PDFs with the Charms, the idea of a Wood-aspected Charm called something like Fragrant Passionflower Blooming comes to mind. I'm thinking that it allows the dragonblood to transform a flower or blossom so that smelling it acts as an Inspire action, inciting a particular emotion as if it were written social influence.

Another thought is an Earth-aspected Charm which I've been calling Shining Mica Scales, which allows a Dragonblood to take a handful of pebbles, stones and so on and crack them so that they become beautiful pendants, bracelet-charms and so on. For example, you take a flint and crack it against a wall, and one of the flakes comes out as a shimmering grey House emblem, you take a handful of river-pebbles and rub them in your hands and they come out dark and glittering with half-seen patters, or you break a piece of granite to create a bracelet of interlocked shards fo quartz and mica that glitter in the light.

Finally, what about a Fire charm called Slag-Separating Fist, which allows a dragonblood to take a handful of ore, cup it in his hands and heat it so they can literally squeeze the metal out.
        Last edited by ajf115; 05-26-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

One thing I really hope to see from that book is a major effort to balance the Charm trees of each Ability with Charms from elements other than the dominant one. I don't think that's the kind of shift that can be accomplished by just one backer-Charm though.

I would still suggest your floral raiment idea as an elemental variant on the other Charm, even if you submit another Charm as your pick. They might go for it.

Disclaimer: all of my ideas are pet or familiar related tonight because I can't have a puppy and I want one.

I think it'd be cool to be able channel your elemental nature through the bond you share with your familiar to give it elemental-themed powers as a scene-long power-up Charm. Strength of the earth, speed of wind, elusiveness of water, fiery aura, wood could be poison or regeneration.

Or an occult or survival Charm that allows you to bind or create an elemental as your familiar, if that's not too powerful for a dragonblood. Otherwise a Charm that draws on your shared elemental nature to enhance social interactions with elementals.

Seriously though if a Melee master can reach into a fire and pull out a sword, why can't a Survival master reach into a fire and pull out a warm puppy to snuggle?

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

A Wood-aspected Archery Charm following Life-Swelling Sap Strike, where the arrow grows a vine as it flies, turning it into a grappling hook, good for scaling walls, zipping across chasms, creating zip-lines to dance across with Graceful Dryad Dance, or leashes on enemies to drag them where you want.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

* Earth Sail Charm to call up rocks in the course of enemy ships

* Occult Charm to tame unbound Elementals by invoking the name of the appropriate Dragon (either situationally aspected based on the elemental, or only working on your Aspect elementals and you need to buy upgrades to apply it to other elementals, depending on how powerful its written)

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Well, if you have it, i would suggest you take a look at the Dragon-Blooded "charm seeds" on 1e's Storyteller's Companion or the Aspectbooks for some kernels of inspiration.

I remember one, from Aspectbook: Earth i think, that let the Dragon-Blooded make an island of stability in the Wyld and how i considered more than once creating a sort of "Wyld-shaping lite/Omphalos brings creation into shape" kind of charm and extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
                  Well, if you have it, i would suggest you take a look at the Dragon-Blooded "charm seeds" on 1e's Storyteller's Companion or the Aspectbooks for some kernels of inspiration.

I remember one, from Aspectbook: Earth i think, that let the Dragon-Blooded make an island of stability in the Wyld and how i considered more than once creating a sort of "Wyld-shaping lite/Omphalos brings creation into shape" kind of charm and extensions.
                  I might be misremembering, but we have a Wyld stabilizing Charm on the preview already, I think it is Earth related, some meditation thing I think.

Comment

Do you think there's room for an Athletics Charm to "surf" a chunk of rock across rocks, sand, and soil or a chunk of ice across water, ice, and snow?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

I might be misremembering, but we have a Wyld stabilizing Charm on the preview already, I think it is Earth related, some meditation thing I think.
                      Oh, that’s a good idea! I should have pdfs of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Weimann View Post

Oh, that’s a good idea! I should have pdfs of those.
                        Found it, Chaos-Warding Prana, Essence 2 Earth Integrity 3, Pg 226.

Comment

I had an idea for a Wood Charm that would let the Dragon Blood place a seed into someone's hand and coax it to bloom in a way that conveyed an impression of someone's Essence. Like a human possessed by a ghost or demon would sprout a flower choked with parasitic vines, and an Exalt would bloom a flower with petals of Essence.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

I thought there would be - my actual interest as i said, was in a branch/evolution from that lead into a taint-cleansing/land-making charm of sorts for the Dragon-blooded, much like solar charm Chaos-Repelling Pattern is one of the lynchpins of Wyld-Shaping Technique.

Other crazy bits that come to mind are:
                            - A charm to call out or shape elementals straight from one's aura, quickening or upgrading one's summoning options, or limited summoning for those with no Sorcery.

- Dispersing oneself into elemental essence to disappear or move across great distances from place to place through existing dragon lines, in a sort of variant on the Twilight's anima effect.

- Using a mundane weapon touched by one's element - made of stone, ice, on fire, etc - into an one-scene only vessel of evocations from one's jade artifacts.

- Imbuing familiars or mortals one possesses an intimacy with elemental essence, empowering and/or shaping them in a way similar to the old Imbue Amalgam spell or terrestrial sorcerous workings.

Just a little bit of something for people to riff and make up their own weird ideas from if one cares to.
                            Last edited by Baaldam; 05-27-2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

I thought there would be - my actual interest as i said, was in a branch/evolution from that lead into a taint-cleansing/land-making charm of sorts for the Dragon-blooded, much like solar charm Chaos-Repelling Pattern is one of the lynchpins of Wyld-Shaping Technique.

Other crazy bits that come to mind are:
                              - A charm to call out or shape elementals straight from one's aura, quickening or upgrading one's summoning options, or limited summoning for those with no Sorcery.

- Dispersing oneself into elemental essence to disappear or move across great distances from place to place through existing dragon lines, in a sort of variant on the Twilight's anima effect.

- Using a mundane weapon touched by one's element - made of stone, ice, on fire, etc - into an one-scene only vessel of evocations from one's jade artifacts.

- Imbuing familiars or mortals one possesses an intimacy with elemental essence, empowering and/or shaping them in a way similar to the old Imbue Amalgam spell or terrestrial sorcerous workings.

Just a little bit of something for people to riff and make up their own weird ideas from if one cares to.
                              Yeah, those are cool ideas.

Only I wouldn't allow land-making, or any other thing related to WST, as that is pretty firmly Solar territory in my view. It is the reason why Creation's borders contracted due to the Great Contagion and Balorian Crusade and couldn't be expanded back.

Comment

Working...
                              X