Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(2e) What happens if I detonate a protoshinmaic vortex in a shadowland?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (2e) What happens if I detonate a protoshinmaic vortex in a shadowland?

Or, heck, the underworld? The labyrinth? Inside a neverborn?

Can a place be both 'underworld' and 'pure chaos' at the same time?

Y'know that episode of Spongebob in which Squidward accidentally breaks part of a time machine, and ends up in a weird white void?

If I recall correctly, that's what happens. But then again, 2e's Underworld was gray and boring, so it'd probably be a weird gray void.

Basically, the chaotic energies of the Wyld are potent enough to overwrite the resident patch of crystallized memories, but not enough to just up and convert Underworld to Wyld.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 06-03-2018, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Don't cross the beams!

Comment

My joke answer is that it if you detonate it in a Shadowland, it just overwrites it into a wyld zone, because fine, whatever Shadowlands are part of Creation, but if you try to bring it into a place where wyld zones can't be, you can't do that-- like, trying to pull it across the border of a shadowland at night so it enters the Underworld is like trying to pull it through an invisible wall that you can pass through but it can't. Possibly it makes a comical clang noise every time it hits the border. Same if you try to pull it through a Yu-Shan gate or across the border from Creation to the Endless Desert.

My real answer is the same for the Shadowland bit and I dunno for the rest.

Comment

I would say that it works anywhere, but that in an area that wasn't "originally" the Wyld (ie. most places outside of Creation), the resulting Wyld zone is weaker, doesn't last as long, supports only temporary / limited Wyld shaping, and eventually fades away because it can't really put down roots.

If you theoretically dumped enough Wyld-stuff into Yu-Shan you could probably destroy it, though, since it's small and artificial (even by the standards of the setting, of course, since technically Creation itself is artificial.) And perhaps it wouldn't heal naturally for similar reasons - there isn't enough force behind it being Yu-Shan to do that (unlike the Underworld or Malfeas, which constantly assert themselves as what they are and will push back against any incursion.) Of course, Yu-Shan is full of gods, some which will probably be able to handle the problem.

Probably you could overwhelm anything's defenses with enough of the Wyld, but I doubt it's practical.
          Last edited by Aquillion; 06-04-2018, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Given the 2e interaction where Wyld and Void are somewhat opposing forces, I'd be tempted to have each level of Underworld-ness make the result a level less Wyld. So in a shadowland you convert the area into Deep Wyld. In the general Underworld you transform everything in the area into a Middlemarch that sort of bobs up out of the Underworld and blends horribly with the Creation that was there. A bit of the Labyrinth is transfomed into a merged-with-Creation Bordermarch . . .

And if you detonate in the Mouth of the Void, well, congratulations, you lunatic, you managed to actually heal the wound caused by the slaying of Primordials. The Underworld and everything in it is pulled up and merges with Creation, the very Pole of Elemental Earth is infected with Wyld taint destabilizing all Creation, and the psyches of the Neverborn form new living Primordials that combine alien Primordial mindsets, millennia of memories of being dead, and an infection of Wyld chaos. If you're really lucky, you'll be able to avoid everybody dying.

(Since Yu-Shan was made out of the Wyld along with Creation, you manage to transform a chunk of it into Total Chaos, too. In Malfeas and Autochthonia, you're detonating it in the bodies of Primordials who were born in Total Chaos to start with, and presumably are resistant to it to some degree, but not necessarily to it going off inside them. Maybe you injure them, maybe you invigorate them, depending on where you do it and how they can handle it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
              My joke answer is that it if you detonate it in a Shadowland, it just overwrites it into a wyld zone, because fine, whatever Shadowlands are part of Creation, but if you try to bring it into a place where wyld zones can't be, you can't do that-- like, trying to pull it across the border of a shadowland at night so it enters the Underworld is like trying to pull it through an invisible wall that you can pass through but it can't. Possibly it makes a comical clang noise every time it hits the border. Same if you try to pull it through a Yu-Shan gate or across the border from Creation to the Endless Desert.

My real answer is the same for the Shadowland bit and I dunno for the rest.
              Would it work on the really hard to get out stains (shadowlands) that were left where the primordials died?
              I seem to recall protoshinmaic vortices were first created with relatively little time left before the usurpation.

Comment

Originally posted by PlotVitalNPC View Post

Would it work on the really hard to get out stains (shadowlands) that were left where the primordials died?
                I seem to recall protoshinmaic vortices were first created with relatively little time left before the usurpation.
                Whatcouldgowrong.gif

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Working...
                X