Exalted Dev Diary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    So, in other words, the modern day Realm is the result of Lunars slowly chipping away at what used to be an even larger and stronger Realm?
    The histories of the Silver Pact and the Realm haven't been strict linear progressions.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
      I know people love hardcovers, but Across the Eight Directions is probably the book I'm most hyped for. A chance to live up to the legacy of Scavenger Sons doesn't come up very often.

I can't help but wonder about those "Eight Directions"...

Cardinal + Inter-Cardinal Directions? That would leave out "Center" which seems a-typical of how the major powers in Creation conceive of directions.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Or the Realm could have been bigger if not for the Lunars.

They have been eating at unrecoverable resources, destabilizing once conquered places, not letting the Immaculate Philosophy spread and take root, etc...

It is not all about territorial size. It is a war of atrition. Borders contract and expand. But the Realm loses more irreplaceable things than the Lunars. So they're winning.

Comment

Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
          Or the Realm could have been bigger if not for the Lunars.
          Oh that's a certainty. Lunar Dominions and Lunar sabotage have been the strongest force apart from the 7th Legion & their allies to resist Realm expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Cardinal + Inter-Cardinal Directions?
            That's correct.

That would leave out "Center" which seems a-typical of how the major powers in Creation conceive of directions.
            "Eight Directions" isn't an in-setting title. We chose it to emphasize the broader approach the book takes to the Threshold than previous editions' focus on sharply delineated and contained write-ups of North, East, South, and West. Where the Compass of Terrestrial Directions series largely repackaged the same locales that we'd been seeing since the First Edition corebook, Across the Eight Directions has as many new locales as it does old, familiar ones. Many of these are in fact in the diagonal corners of the map — areas which weren't much explored in previous editions, and which have gotten a makeover in 3e.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

Cardinal + Inter-Cardinal Directions? That would leave out "Center" which seems a-typical of how the major powers in Creation conceive of directions.
              In addition to what Eric said, The Realm covers the Center.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Oh that's a certainty. Lunar Dominions and Lunar sabotage have been the strongest force apart from the 7th Legion & their allies to resist Realm expansion.
                Yeah. What I'm trying to say is that it is not necessarily "The Realm was THIS big and now it is this big, because Lunars."

A war of atrition means things are fluid. It is not only about territorial size. It is also about resources, culture, reach, projection, etc...

At least in my opinion, anyways.

Maybe the Realm is as territorially spread as it ever was, but they're exerting themselves to the point of breaking. Maybe it was bigger at some point. Maybe this is the smallest it ever was.

I don't think it serves any purpose to determine this. I believe saying "there is a war of atrition going on for centuries and the Lunars are winning" is a good general statement.

If I want to portray the Realm at the height of it's expansion, overeaching and gloating, I can.

If I want to portray the Realm at it's weakest, lamenting glories past, I can.

If I want something in between, I can too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

That's correct.

"Eight Directions" isn't an in-setting title. We chose it to emphasize the broader approach the book takes to the Threshold than previous editions' focus on sharply delineated and contained write-ups of North, East, South, and West. Where the Compass of Terrestrial Directions series largely repackaged the same locales that we'd been seeing since the First Edition corebook, Across the Eight Directions has as many new locales as it does old, familiar ones. Many of these are in fact in the diagonal corners of the map — areas which weren't much explored in previous editions, and which have gotten a makeover in 3e.

Ah, I assumed because of the "Eight Directions Embassy" it was an in-setting term.

Comment

Ah, I assumed because of the "Eight Directions Embassy" it was an in-setting term.
                    Yes and no? Like, in the sense that when Annie Lennox sings that she's traveled the world and the seven seas, she's absolutely referencing an archaic real-world term, but she's not making a statement about a modern understanding of geography.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                      The histories of the Silver Pact and the Realm haven't been strict linear progressions.
                      That goes without saying, but if we’re talking about net changes...

Comment

Hmm the protean keyword sounds like it'll be fun.

Comment

One thing worth noting is that the Shogunate had lots more artifacts and tech than the Realm does now and I don't think that all of that was wasted on infighting or fighting Raksha. Honestly, going from the Shogunate "tech level" to the one that the modern Realm has is probably a victory for Lunars in general too.

Comment

Well, there goes my theory of the 8 Directions being 4 Directions of Creation +Underworld, Malfeas, Wyld and Yu-Shan.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                              So, in other words, the modern day Realm is the result of Lunars slowly chipping away at what used to be an even larger and stronger Realm?

Think water flows into a basin or vessel slowly over time, this is the realms growth over time. The Lunars slowly fought and controlled the water so it doesn't fill the whole sink they are contained instead into a bowl. The Lunars and the Realm were both growing, it sounds ultimately though the way the wars were fought the Lunars fought to gain more than they lost over the years, particularly with their reincarnating nature and the Realms inherent need to cultivate reserves and being a big humongous centralized body.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
                                Moar Martial Arts! Centipede and Swaying Grass Dance!

So much juicy bits on that post, awesome!
                                This was literally what I was wanting since the first Kickstarter. It represents a promise that Exalted has a bright future, and we won't lose the dreams and potential from yesteryear.

And the Exigents being more broad in its storyteller advice applying the homebrew principle to nonExigent Exalts... Brilliant I thought I would have to wait till they gauged the success of the Exigent book to get that! Even if its just a section of a chapter I would love some advice from the fellas!

Oh and the Eight Directions... I love it! The new map breathed such a new sense of dreams and romance to the gameline! Play with the new settings, play with how you interpret the old I trust this crew! In Exalted that is what I do when I start a chronicle I weave new places with the established. That is why the Realm book sounds so satisfying!

So we will have the Realm for the center of the Setting, the 8 Directions for the middlish, and specific books like Different skys to give better close ups like Blood and Salt style, I love it. We color in the setting in both broad strokes to give us the basics of what we need, while we simultaneously build up the crunch, and in between we let the artists explore in more detail with books that don't have to detail dozens of locals so they can really build up.

This means by the time we get books on the Worlds of the Spirits we will have a good foundation of mortal culture. We will also have plenty of room to add in things anywhere due to the nature of how things are detailed. I love it! I really love the setting because you can really play with new and interesting cultures, and its super fun to insert your own creations! So much hope for the Gameline!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                                X