X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by Blaque View Post
    Whitewall was also historicall a satrapy, just one of the long line of "A satrapy but..." satrapies we got through most the previosu couple editions. Fajad is pretty far away too, note.
    Was it? I don't remember that. Though yeah, 2nd ed was full of these "satrapies" where it was pretty meaningless because they were so awesome. Or "allies" instead of Satrapies (Linowan, Wavecrest, etc).

Fajad is far away, but it's on the coast so controlling it is more feasible for the Realm. Whereas attacking somewhere like Gem or the Saltspire League requires them to march deep into the wilderness away from their easy supply lines.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Oops, that was a typo. You can see I also mentioned Cherak as one of the places they do control (with the slave states).
    I meant to write Whitewall and Gethsemene.

I'll edit that.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    Whitewall was also historicall a satrapy, just one of the long line of "A satrapy but..." satrapies we got through most the previosu couple editions. Fajad is pretty far away too, note.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    The Realm's control doesn't extend very far into the North, it doesn't even reach Whitewall or Cherak
    ​Wait, isn't Cherak the home of one of the Cadet Houses of the Scarlet Dynasty?

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    The Realm's control doesn't extend very far into the North, it doesn't even reach Whitewall or Cherak
    As a point of information, Cherak is on the Inland Sea coast and is a Realm satrapy.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    While "civilisation" was part of it,* I was more thinking that, due to its position, the Realm finds it easiest to conquer and control land near the Inner Sea. Due to their less extreme weather, these are also the parts that support the highest population/land ratio**. The Realm's control doesn't extend very far into the North, it doesn't even reach Whitewall or Gethsemene, but the frozen wilderness has far less people than places like Cherak or those slave states. Similarly, their control of the South is mostly just a thin strip from the Lap to Harborhead, but that probably has more people than the entire vast desert that the Realm does not control.

*I guess it's kind of correlation not causation. Whether or not "civilisation" is required for high populations, it's certainly more likely to be found in high-population areas.

**Except the River Province, which is big, fertile, and not in the Realm's control. Which is why I'd be inclined to agree with you, that it's may be a sizeable minority of the world's population, rather than a majority. I just felt it was an interesting point to raise that if the Realm controls, say, 40% of the world's population, they probably only control about 25% of its land, or whatever.
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 06-07-2018, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Salagimsim
    replied
    divine monsters that Luna unleashed against the enemies of the gods, shapeshifting tricksters and world-walking witches, sacred beast-god guardians and terrifying horrors that stalk the night.
    Monsters, Tricksters, Witches, Horrors alongside Beast-God? (eggplant emoji)

The Protean keyword sounds dope. As someone who often disparaged animal forms - the concept sounds enticing. Less "I'm going to do battle.... as a silver garden snake!" and more "ha, I shift into a serpent (and do a preternaturally horrific thing to you) and I shift into a spider (and do another thing that no natural spider should do), etc. There's an incentive to use these shapes beyond "I just need 1 bird and 1 fish for travel - the rest can be human faces for espionage."

Has there been any mention previously about Lunars taking the shape of other creatures (like demons, ghosts, raksha, etc)? Those were good costumes in 2E - but some felt "hollow" without the proper supernatural trick to emulate whatever we're pretending to be. I wonder if the Protean keyword provides a self-contained way to empower those shapes too (without the Lunar needing actual spirit charms or whatever).

Either way, super excited.

Also, creepy, Ebon-armor-plated Centipede Lunar inc.

Silver Pact, the mutual aid society that protects young Lunars from the Wyld Hunt and which organizes the centuries-long war against the Realm
    Oh how I've hated and yet longed to love you. I neeeeeeeeeeeed this in my life. I'm eager to see what it's about. And how social dynamics (if any), communication, travel, etc are coordinated (for such a far flung group).

Then again, if I can be a full-fledged monster/horror/witch without people arguing I should look more like a blatant Satyr or Werewolf, then I won't even mind the Silver Pact in whatever shape it takes. Why should Infernals get all the shapeshifting fun?

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Not sure of the total numbers, but I do think it likely that the Realm controls a much higher percentage of Creation's population than it does Creation's land.
    Sure, but possibly still a distinct minority.

​I think there are two things worth considering, especially in this Edition.

​One is the fact that there are regions with distinct characters and implicit or explicit sizable populations outside the Realm's control; the Scavenger Lands, the southeast (even if Prasad is counted as a satrapy, there's a lot around them down there), and places such as Ixacoatli.

​The other is challenging the narrative that places that might be regarded as "uncivilized" have small populations, when modern anthropology is leaning towards recognition that such social models could often support much larger populations than they would have been previously credited with.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Not sure of the total numbers, but I do think it likely that the Realm controls a much higher percentage of Creation's population than it does Creation's land.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    I think most of the satrapies are supposed to be comparatively small, so while the empire is large, it's not covering the majority of the world.

Leave a comment:

• Prometheus878
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Wait is that stated somewhere? The majority of the World's population are in Satrapies?
    That may have been unintentional hyperbole due to inference from statements like this:

Originally posted by Ex3 Core, Pg 29
    Realm, the: The mightiest empire in Creation, based on
    the Blessed Isle and ruled by the Scarlet Dynasty, the Realm
    controls hundreds of satrapies across the Threshold, nations
    under Dragon-Blooded boot. The Realm extorts taxes and
    tribute from almost the whole of the civilized world.
    Emphasis mine.

I would not be surprised if the true number were somewhere between a quarter and half the world's population, but still.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    The previous edition did seem to not actually have that many Satrapies (though a fair few allies of the Realm, but they were often special cases, to the extent that there seemed to be more special cases than typical Satrapies!).

But I think the Realm will have lots of Satrapies, so 8 Directions doesn't really need to.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
    I hunger for more satrapies! They contain the majority of the world's population, so it makes sense that most characters would be from these conquered realms.

I wonder what most Lunar elders think is going to happen when they win a final victory against the Realm. What world do they envision building after they've spent so much time tearing down the previous status quo? Will they start fighting each other over whose vision of the future will survive?

Edit: Also fascinated by nations not only being described themselves, but placed in their context by describing their neighbors. Excitement!

Wait is that stated somewhere? The majority of the World's population are in Satrapies?

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Originally posted by Cenrei View Post

Well, there goes my theory of the 8 Directions being 4 Directions of Creation +Underworld, Malfeas, Wyld and Yu-Shan.
    Exactly what the founders of the Eight Directions Embassy meant by the term hasn't been specified in canon.

Leave a comment:

• Prometheus878
    replied
    I hunger for more satrapies! They contain the majority of the world's population, so it makes sense that most characters would be from these conquered realms.

I wonder what most Lunar elders think is going to happen when they win a final victory against the Realm. What world do they envision building after they've spent so much time tearing down the previous status quo? Will they start fighting each other over whose vision of the future will survive?

Edit: Also fascinated by nations not only being described themselves, but placed in their context by describing their neighbors. Excitement!
    Last edited by Prometheus878; 06-06-2018, 10:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X