Exalted Dev Diary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cenrei View Post

Well, there goes my theory of the 8 Directions being 4 Directions of Creation +Underworld, Malfeas, Wyld and Yu-Shan.
    Yeah Ready in Eight Directions stance refers to this. Its a classic concept, I remember my old Mandarin teacher talking about it, and I was like sweet I am already somewhat familiar with it due to Exalted!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Eldagusto

Indeed! The future looks promising! I hope they hit their stride with the pacing, and we'll be golden.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        Yeah Ready in Eight Directions stance refers to this. Its a classic concept, I remember my old Mandarin teacher talking about it, and I was like sweet I am already somewhat familiar with it due to Exalted!
        Seeing as it was in the 1e corebook before a lot fo the rest of the setting was fleshed-out or even we even knew there was a Heaven, I'm actually more of a mindset it's to the cardinal+intercardinal thing. Since you're ready in litereallye very way an attack can come at you in a 2D space is the fluff there.

And stuff.
        My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
          Many of these are in fact in the diagonal corners of the map — areas which weren't much explored in previous editions, and which have gotten a makeover in 3e.
          Having read the dev diary yesterday, I was thinking about what I would like to see in this book, and what I really thought was more stuff in the diagonal areas. There's the whole new Dreaming Sea region, which has a fair amount of detail in the book (and, in the case of Prasad, in the DB and Realm previews), but also the Cinder Coast, which just has a little info in the book, and the North-East as well. I would like to see more stuff for those two areas.
          (And then there's the North-West, but I suppose most of that is just blank water? There's Fajad and Wu-Jian I guess, if you count those as North-West rather than North and West respectively)

So anyway, that sounds good to me.

Where the Compass of Terrestrial Directions series largely repackaged the same locales that we'd been seeing since the First Edition corebook, Across the Eight Directions has as many new locales as it does old, familiar ones.
          Oh please yes. I already have two books that tell me about Gethsemene, Whitewall and the Haslanti League, I wouldn't buy a third one.

With the ones that you're doing again, is your intention to write them again, but better/more detailed/more 3rd ed style/with a different emphasis, or actually change them significantly?

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan
          Also hearing that Across the Eight Directions is going to detail the surrounding areas to make the locales into little ecosystems is all I have ever wanted in a setting book.
          Yeah, the 3rd ed Core is full of this stuff and its great. The only book that really did it in 2nd ed was part of Compass: North. But it really makes me much more interested in running a game in places.
          I never wanted to run a game in Gem previously, because it was an isolated city in the middle of the desert. But now it's in the middle of a collection of city-states (there's the one with the giant library, the one with the talking lions, the one haunted with demons, etc) and tribes.
          Not only that of course, but a lot of an area's internal influences and cultures are related to what's near them. You couldn't write a book with, say, medieval England as a setting, without mentioning France, Scotland, Jerusalem and Rome.

One last note: the thing I was most happy in the Dev Diary about, honestly, was that they're going to work on Heirs to the Shogunate after Lunars. I was a bit nervous about people pledging so much that the Devs had an enormous extra Dragonblood book to write before Lunars. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would like a big extra Dragonblood book (and did pledge for it in the end), but I'd like Lunars first.
          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 06-06-2018, 11:04 AM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

What were the eight directions when you talked about it? Heaven and Hell remain, but I don't see Wyld or Underworld analogues.

But sexually.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis View Post
              What were the eight directions when you talked about it? Heaven and Hell remain, but I don't see Wyld or Underworld analogues.
              The four directions plus the the four half directions like northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                One last note: the thing I was most happy in the Dev Diary about, honestly, was that they're going to work on Heirs to the Shogunate after Lunars. I was a bit nervous about people pledging so much that the Devs had an enormous extra Dragonblood book to write before Lunars. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would like a big extra Dragonblood book (and did pledge for it in the end), but I'd like Lunars first.
                It is definitely a pleasant surprise.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

I hunger for more satrapies! They contain the majority of the world's population, so it makes sense that most characters would be from these conquered realms.

I wonder what most Lunar elders think is going to happen when they win a final victory against the Realm. What world do they envision building after they've spent so much time tearing down the previous status quo? Will they start fighting each other over whose vision of the future will survive?

Edit: Also fascinated by nations not only being described themselves, but placed in their context by describing their neighbors. Excitement!
                  Last edited by Prometheus878; 06-06-2018, 10:37 PM.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenrei View Post

Well, there goes my theory of the 8 Directions being 4 Directions of Creation +Underworld, Malfeas, Wyld and Yu-Shan.
                    Exactly what the founders of the Eight Directions Embassy meant by the term hasn't been specified in canon.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
                      I hunger for more satrapies! They contain the majority of the world's population, so it makes sense that most characters would be from these conquered realms.

I wonder what most Lunar elders think is going to happen when they win a final victory against the Realm. What world do they envision building after they've spent so much time tearing down the previous status quo? Will they start fighting each other over whose vision of the future will survive?

Edit: Also fascinated by nations not only being described themselves, but placed in their context by describing their neighbors. Excitement!

Wait is that stated somewhere? The majority of the World's population are in Satrapies?

Comment

The previous edition did seem to not actually have that many Satrapies (though a fair few allies of the Realm, but they were often special cases, to the extent that there seemed to be more special cases than typical Satrapies!).

But I think the Realm will have lots of Satrapies, so 8 Directions doesn't really need to.

Comment

Wait is that stated somewhere? The majority of the World's population are in Satrapies?
                          That may have been unintentional hyperbole due to inference from statements like this:

Originally posted by Ex3 Core, Pg 29
                          Realm, the: The mightiest empire in Creation, based on
                          the Blessed Isle and ruled by the Scarlet Dynasty, the Realm
                          controls hundreds of satrapies across the Threshold, nations
                          under Dragon-Blooded boot. The Realm extorts taxes and
                          tribute from almost the whole of the civilized world.
                          Emphasis mine.

I would not be surprised if the true number were somewhere between a quarter and half the world's population, but still.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

I think most of the satrapies are supposed to be comparatively small, so while the empire is large, it's not covering the majority of the world.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Not sure of the total numbers, but I do think it likely that the Realm controls a much higher percentage of Creation's population than it does Creation's land.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                                Not sure of the total numbers, but I do think it likely that the Realm controls a much higher percentage of Creation's population than it does Creation's land.
                                Sure, but possibly still a distinct minority.

​I think there are two things worth considering, especially in this Edition.

​One is the fact that there are regions with distinct characters and implicit or explicit sizable populations outside the Realm's control; the Scavenger Lands, the southeast (even if Prasad is counted as a satrapy, there's a lot around them down there), and places such as Ixacoatli.

​The other is challenging the narrative that places that might be regarded as "uncivilized" have small populations, when modern anthropology is leaning towards recognition that such social models could often support much larger populations than they would have been previously credited with.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                                X