X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    One last note: the thing I was most happy in the Dev Diary about, honestly, was that they're going to work on Heirs to the Shogunate after Lunars. I was a bit nervous about people pledging so much that the Devs had an enormous extra Dragonblood book to write before Lunars. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would like a big extra Dragonblood book (and did pledge for it in the end), but I'd like Lunars first.
    It is definitely a pleasant surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Ellis View Post
    What were the eight directions when you talked about it? Heaven and Hell remain, but I don't see Wyld or Underworld analogues.
    The four directions plus the the four half directions like northwest.

Leave a comment:

• Ellis
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    Yeah Ready in Eight Directions stance refers to this. Its a classic concept, I remember my old Mandarin teacher talking about it, and I was like sweet I am already somewhat familiar with it due to Exalted!
    What were the eight directions when you talked about it? Heaven and Hell remain, but I don't see Wyld or Underworld analogues.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
    Many of these are in fact in the diagonal corners of the map — areas which weren't much explored in previous editions, and which have gotten a makeover in 3e.
    Having read the dev diary yesterday, I was thinking about what I would like to see in this book, and what I really thought was more stuff in the diagonal areas. There's the whole new Dreaming Sea region, which has a fair amount of detail in the book (and, in the case of Prasad, in the DB and Realm previews), but also the Cinder Coast, which just has a little info in the book, and the North-East as well. I would like to see more stuff for those two areas.
    (And then there's the North-West, but I suppose most of that is just blank water? There's Fajad and Wu-Jian I guess, if you count those as North-West rather than North and West respectively)

So anyway, that sounds good to me.

Where the Compass of Terrestrial Directions series largely repackaged the same locales that we'd been seeing since the First Edition corebook, Across the Eight Directions has as many new locales as it does old, familiar ones.
    Oh please yes. I already have two books that tell me about Gethsemene, Whitewall and the Haslanti League, I wouldn't buy a third one.

With the ones that you're doing again, is your intention to write them again, but better/more detailed/more 3rd ed style/with a different emphasis, or actually change them significantly?

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan
    Also hearing that Across the Eight Directions is going to detail the surrounding areas to make the locales into little ecosystems is all I have ever wanted in a setting book.
    Yeah, the 3rd ed Core is full of this stuff and its great. The only book that really did it in 2nd ed was part of Compass: North. But it really makes me much more interested in running a game in places.
    I never wanted to run a game in Gem previously, because it was an isolated city in the middle of the desert. But now it's in the middle of a collection of city-states (there's the one with the giant library, the one with the talking lions, the one haunted with demons, etc) and tribes.
    Not only that of course, but a lot of an area's internal influences and cultures are related to what's near them. You couldn't write a book with, say, medieval England as a setting, without mentioning France, Scotland, Jerusalem and Rome.

One last note: the thing I was most happy in the Dev Diary about, honestly, was that they're going to work on Heirs to the Shogunate after Lunars. I was a bit nervous about people pledging so much that the Devs had an enormous extra Dragonblood book to write before Lunars. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would like a big extra Dragonblood book (and did pledge for it in the end), but I'd like Lunars first.
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 06-06-2018, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    Yeah Ready in Eight Directions stance refers to this. Its a classic concept, I remember my old Mandarin teacher talking about it, and I was like sweet I am already somewhat familiar with it due to Exalted!
    Seeing as it was in the 1e corebook before a lot fo the rest of the setting was fleshed-out or even we even knew there was a Heaven, I'm actually more of a mindset it's to the cardinal+intercardinal thing. Since you're ready in litereallye very way an attack can come at you in a 2D space is the fluff there.

Leave a comment:

• TGUEIROS
    replied
    Eldagusto

Indeed! The future looks promising! I hope they hit their stride with the pacing, and we'll be golden.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Cenrei View Post

Well, there goes my theory of the 8 Directions being 4 Directions of Creation +Underworld, Malfeas, Wyld and Yu-Shan.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
    Moar Martial Arts! Centipede and Swaying Grass Dance!

So much juicy bits on that post, awesome!
    This was literally what I was wanting since the first Kickstarter. It represents a promise that Exalted has a bright future, and we won't lose the dreams and potential from yesteryear.

And the Exigents being more broad in its storyteller advice applying the homebrew principle to nonExigent Exalts... Brilliant I thought I would have to wait till they gauged the success of the Exigent book to get that! Even if its just a section of a chapter I would love some advice from the fellas!

Oh and the Eight Directions... I love it! The new map breathed such a new sense of dreams and romance to the gameline! Play with the new settings, play with how you interpret the old I trust this crew! In Exalted that is what I do when I start a chronicle I weave new places with the established. That is why the Realm book sounds so satisfying!

So we will have the Realm for the center of the Setting, the 8 Directions for the middlish, and specific books like Different skys to give better close ups like Blood and Salt style, I love it. We color in the setting in both broad strokes to give us the basics of what we need, while we simultaneously build up the crunch, and in between we let the artists explore in more detail with books that don't have to detail dozens of locals so they can really build up.

This means by the time we get books on the Worlds of the Spirits we will have a good foundation of mortal culture. We will also have plenty of room to add in things anywhere due to the nature of how things are detailed. I love it! I really love the setting because you can really play with new and interesting cultures, and its super fun to insert your own creations! So much hope for the Gameline!

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    So, in other words, the modern day Realm is the result of Lunars slowly chipping away at what used to be an even larger and stronger Realm?

Think water flows into a basin or vessel slowly over time, this is the realms growth over time. The Lunars slowly fought and controlled the water so it doesn't fill the whole sink they are contained instead into a bowl. The Lunars and the Realm were both growing, it sounds ultimately though the way the wars were fought the Lunars fought to gain more than they lost over the years, particularly with their reincarnating nature and the Realms inherent need to cultivate reserves and being a big humongous centralized body.

Leave a comment:

• Cenrei
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I can't help but wonder about those "Eight Directions"...

Cardinal + Inter-Cardinal Directions? That would leave out "Center" which seems a-typical of how the major powers in Creation conceive of directions.
    Well, there goes my theory of the 8 Directions being 4 Directions of Creation +Underworld, Malfeas, Wyld and Yu-Shan.

Leave a comment:

• BrilliantRain
    replied
    One thing worth noting is that the Shogunate had lots more artifacts and tech than the Realm does now and I don't think that all of that was wasted on infighting or fighting Raksha. Honestly, going from the Shogunate "tech level" to the one that the modern Realm has is probably a victory for Lunars in general too.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Hmm the protean keyword sounds like it'll be fun.

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    The histories of the Silver Pact and the Realm haven't been strict linear progressions.
    That goes without saying, but if we’re talking about net changes...

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Ah, I assumed because of the "Eight Directions Embassy" it was an in-setting term.
    Yes and no? Like, in the sense that when Annie Lennox sings that she's traveled the world and the seven seas, she's absolutely referencing an archaic real-world term, but she's not making a statement about a modern understanding of geography.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

That's correct.

"Eight Directions" isn't an in-setting title. We chose it to emphasize the broader approach the book takes to the Threshold than previous editions' focus on sharply delineated and contained write-ups of North, East, South, and West. Where the Compass of Terrestrial Directions series largely repackaged the same locales that we'd been seeing since the First Edition corebook, Across the Eight Directions has as many new locales as it does old, familiar ones. Many of these are in fact in the diagonal corners of the map — areas which weren't much explored in previous editions, and which have gotten a makeover in 3e.

Ah, I assumed because of the "Eight Directions Embassy" it was an in-setting term.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X