X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGUEIROS
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Oh that's a certainty. Lunar Dominions and Lunar sabotage have been the strongest force apart from the 7th Legion & their allies to resist Realm expansion.
    Yeah. What I'm trying to say is that it is not necessarily "The Realm was THIS big and now it is this big, because Lunars."

A war of atrition means things are fluid. It is not only about territorial size. It is also about resources, culture, reach, projection, etc...

At least in my opinion, anyways.

Maybe the Realm is as territorially spread as it ever was, but they're exerting themselves to the point of breaking. Maybe it was bigger at some point. Maybe this is the smallest it ever was.

I don't think it serves any purpose to determine this. I believe saying "there is a war of atrition going on for centuries and the Lunars are winning" is a good general statement.

If I want to portray the Realm at the height of it's expansion, overeaching and gloating, I can.

If I want to portray the Realm at it's weakest, lamenting glories past, I can.

If I want something in between, I can too.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied

I can't help but wonder about those "Eight Directions"...

Cardinal + Inter-Cardinal Directions? That would leave out "Center" which seems a-typical of how the major powers in Creation conceive of directions.
    In addition to what Eric said, The Realm covers the Center.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied

Cardinal + Inter-Cardinal Directions?
    That's correct.

That would leave out "Center" which seems a-typical of how the major powers in Creation conceive of directions.
    "Eight Directions" isn't an in-setting title. We chose it to emphasize the broader approach the book takes to the Threshold than previous editions' focus on sharply delineated and contained write-ups of North, East, South, and West. Where the Compass of Terrestrial Directions series largely repackaged the same locales that we'd been seeing since the First Edition corebook, Across the Eight Directions has as many new locales as it does old, familiar ones. Many of these are in fact in the diagonal corners of the map — areas which weren't much explored in previous editions, and which have gotten a makeover in 3e.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
    Or the Realm could have been bigger if not for the Lunars.
    Oh that's a certainty. Lunar Dominions and Lunar sabotage have been the strongest force apart from the 7th Legion & their allies to resist Realm expansion.

Leave a comment:

• TGUEIROS
    replied
    Or the Realm could have been bigger if not for the Lunars.

They have been eating at unrecoverable resources, destabilizing once conquered places, not letting the Immaculate Philosophy spread and take root, etc...

It is not all about territorial size. It is a war of atrition. Borders contract and expand. But the Realm loses more irreplaceable things than the Lunars. So they're winning.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
    I know people love hardcovers, but Across the Eight Directions is probably the book I'm most hyped for. A chance to live up to the legacy of Scavenger Sons doesn't come up very often.

Cardinal + Inter-Cardinal Directions? That would leave out "Center" which seems a-typical of how the major powers in Creation conceive of directions.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    So, in other words, the modern day Realm is the result of Lunars slowly chipping away at what used to be an even larger and stronger Realm?
    The histories of the Silver Pact and the Realm haven't been strict linear progressions.

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    So, in other words, the modern day Realm is the result of Lunars slowly chipping away at what used to be an even larger and stronger Realm?

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post

And what did that look like exactly?
    The Silver Pact's primary methodology is one of protracted, asymmetric warfare, of grinding down the infrastructure of empire until the Realm starved to death. Rather than striking a single decisive death-blow, their success has been winning by inches, slowly but steadily drawing near to their triumph. Whether the Silver Pact will claim victory, or the Realm will somehow survive, or the returned Solars will throw everything upheaval, is a question that can only be answered through play.

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    It means that, prior to the Time of Tumult and whatever shenanigans player characters get up to, the Silver Pact was winning their long war against the Realm.
    And what did that look like exactly?

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Also for another thing as seen in Caul the Lunars are pushing the DB back. As they are now fragmented the Lunars has the best shot then it ever had to shatter the Dragon Blood' s empire
    Also the return of the Solars just put a huuuge pressure on the already cracking structure of the Realm. That's got to offer a huge opportunity. Even if they don't do a thing to work with them directly, suddenly even the most zealous and apolitical warriors of the Realm will be drawn away from the Lunar domains.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
    So, when this says that “the Lunars are winning” what does that mean? Is that just “each splat book is written from the point of view of this group of people and everyone likes to claim they’re winning” or are we talking “well now the Realm is falling apart so of course they’re winning” or is it more like “the Lunars were winning before but now they’re winning much harder, thanks to the Realm’s infighting?”

I’m assuming the last one, but I thought it might be worth unpacking that a bit before the major Lunar fans arrive.
    It means that, prior to the Time of Tumult and whatever shenanigans player characters get up to, the Silver Pact was winning their long war against the Realm.

Leave a comment:

• Iceblade44
    replied
    Also for another thing as seen in Caul the Lunars are pushing the DB back. As they are now fragmented the Lunars has the best shot then it ever had to shatter the Dragon Blood' s empire

Leave a comment:

• armyofwhispers
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
    So, when this says that “the Lunars are winning” what does that mean? Is that just “each splat book is written from the point of view of this group of people and everyone likes to claim they’re winning” or are we talking “well now the Realm is falling apart so of course they’re winning” or is it more like “the Lunars were winning before but now they’re winning much harder, thanks to the Realm’s infighting?”

I’m assuming the last one, but I thought it might be worth unpacking that a bit before the major Lunar fans arrive.
    I believe the default assumption of 3E is that the extent of the realm's power (IE, honestly not that great past the blessed isle in the time of troubles) is due to the guerrilla warfare campaign of the lunars. They are the reason the Realm has not reclaimed all of creation.

Edit: This is of course in contrast to 2E where the size of the DB empire was seemingly more a contest of "lunars don't really do much except side projects on the fringes" and "DB aren't really good enough to have an empire that big."
    Last edited by armyofwhispers; 06-05-2018, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BrilliantRain
    replied

Last edited by BrilliantRain; 06-05-2018, 05:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X