Your experience with combat sorcery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Parabola View Post
    It benefits DB sorcerers even more than that! Usually, being inside the storm creates light cover both ways, making combat within it a bit difficult, but the DB Thrown excellency allows you to automatically ignore light cover, so you can basically move around like crazy and with persistent light cover while ignoring the cover that enemies would usually get.

And since Air DBs have Occult and Thrown as caste abilities, this is a pretty natural and efficient combo for them.

Good catch! I'm currently playing a water aspect Wanasaan exorcist, so using the spell this way has not occurred to me at all.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
    Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Stormwind Rider essentially negated the entirety of the Athletics tree for one character. She also used Brilliant Raptor to literally one shot a Liminal Sniper. This is an Archer/Sorcerer.
      The Melee/Sorcerer makes great use of ISoB and Melee to wreck house, and DoOB racked up an amazing bodycount on a zombie battle group.

If you take the right occult charms and initiation, you are (literally) rolling the dice on getting the 15 motes needed on one turn. Full free occult excellency plus Specialty plus 5/5 stats and abilities.

My players haven't cheesed elementals or demons yet, but the Archer Sorcerer had a bound Earth Elemental act as a bullet (arrow) shield

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Yeah, I've frequently seen sorcerers manage 15sm in the first turn. I find they can't do it more than once a combat though, as they've used up a lot of stored sorcerous motes.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I agree that picking up Stormwind Rider or Cirrus Skiff are good ideas for people who are planning to be Sorcerers, but I want to warn against going “oh, if it’s that good then I’ll just dip into it so I never have to buy Athletics charms.” A Solar could do that, but to get the spell to go off and to control it well you need a pretty decent Occult score and everything. So, it might save a few charm picks, but you’ll still need to spread your dots around

As for Dragon Blooded, their Sorcery charm requires any four other Occult charms as prerequisites, so they really can’t just dip into it. Plus, given how Sorcerers are treated on the Blessed Isle, starting every combat by summoning a tornado might get you attention you don’t want.

Very good buys for Sorcerers, not as good for others.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
            Yeah, I've frequently seen sorcerers manage 15sm in the first turn. I find they can't do it more than once a combat though, as they've used up a lot of stored sorcerous motes.
            In my experience, once is all you need to do. After a Brilliant Raptor or DoOB you've pulled out a ton of value from your spell, and then fighting by other means is usually a good enough alternative. This assumes that you can fight some other way, though.

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
            I agree that picking up Stormwind Rider or Cirrus Skiff are good ideas for people who are planning to be Sorcerers, but I want to warn against going “oh, if it’s that good then I’ll just dip into it so I never have to buy Athletics charms.” A Solar could do that, but to get the spell to go off and to control it well you need a pretty decent Occult score and everything. So, it might save a few charm picks, but you’ll still need to spread your dots around
            For the character in question, having Stormwind Rider up covers all of her movement needs because she is an Sorcerer/Archer/Crafter/Doctor in that order. and she hasn't needed to cast it in battle yet. The group also contains an Athletics Supernal Zenith as well.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post

In my experience, once is all you need to do. After a Brilliant Raptor or DoOB you've pulled out a ton of value from your spell, and then fighting by other means is usually a good enough alternative. This assumes that you can fight some other way, though.

Yeah, I've not seen anyone actually only use combat sorcery. They buff themselves (with Wood Dragon Claw, Invulnerable Skin of Bronze, or something like that) and use that to fight with Brawl or something, or they use a combat spell (like Death of Obsidian Butterflies, Death Ray, etc) at the beginning of combat or against a Battle Group, and then switch to melee or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                Yeah, I've not seen anyone actually only use combat sorcery. They buff themselves (with Wood Dragon Claw, Invulnerable Skin of Bronze, or something like that) and use that to fight with Brawl or something, or they use a combat spell (like Death of Obsidian Butterflies, Death Ray, etc) at the beginning of combat or against a Battle Group, and then switch to melee or whatever.
                I had one player actually try to just use sorcery and commanding a battlegroup. All he has to build up initiative is a great JB roll. So usually he tries to start fights at long range to get off an early Raptor while the groups are Aiming away. After that, though, he's just commanding and rerolling JB as his army wrecks everyone's shit, where he then casts again.

Without that, however, he can't really do much worthy in combat with his sorcery. For all his well deserved plumage, he can't stand up to any opposition directly thrown at him in a fight.
                Last edited by Synapse; 06-11-2018, 06:31 AM.

Comment

How does he re-roll JB? Sounds like a good tactic.

But yeah, while sorcery in Exalted can be powerful in combat, especially against battle groups, it doesn't seem to be something you can do everything with. Which seems fair.

Comment

War charms let you JB when your army zeroes an enemy army's magnitude.

Comment

I would be curious to hear if anyone has had chance to play around with the new battlespells in What Fire Has Wrought yet? Things like Virtuous Guardian of the Flame (One of my 2e favourites) and Unslakable Thirst of The Devil Maw add intriguing new options for the budding combat sorcerer.

Comment

TBH, I mostly wanted to take Unslakeable Thirst of the Devil Maw as a control spell, grab people's throats/arms/heads with my evil hand-mouth, and suck all the water straight out. I mean, the spell is quite good. But the hand-mouth is more fun.
                        Not yet had the opportunity to try it though.
                        Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 06-11-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana1515 View Post
                          I would be curious to hear if anyone has had chance to play around with the new battlespells in What Fire Has Wrought yet? Things like Virtuous Guardian of the Flame (One of my 2e favourites) and Unslakable Thirst of The Devil Maw add intriguing new options for the budding combat sorcerer.
                          The Guardian is in use in my games. When people focus on breaking it instead of the sorcerer it puffs out after a couple decent attacks. Until then, it is a strong defense. If the sorcerer is outnumbered it is a good move to force it out early. Otherwise it pays to power through it with unblockable attacks to spiral the sorcerer early and give you time to wail on the spell without too much molestation.
                          In the hands of a meek sorcerer it's just going to buy you time, while a more potent combatant has more freedom to wail away.

The maw... I haven't seen it in play yet, but there's a bit of speculation that we can run: against most enemies it's barely different from the obsidian butterflies.
                          • Unblockable is slightly better than undodgeable
                          • both have the same base damage (hit threshold + attribute), but the maw is "soaked" with stamina. Since usually high parry is a couple points ahead of high dodge the maw should be a point or two behind against tough targets and even otherwise.
                          • Against battle groups the maw can't be defended, but the butterflies add occult to the damage, which again should be pretty similar for similar attack rolls.
                          • Aggravated damage is exactly as deadly as Lethal, but is harder to magically heal, which is good against regenerators but otherwise won't influence the battle.
                          • The different geometry of the attack is entirely situational, as both are huge.
                          • The aftereffects are pretty much negligible for combat, but there's edge cases where the butterflies' hazard will matter.

The control effects for the butterflies is a buff for the spell's attack, which should put its damage a point or two ahead of the maw's, and some stunt fodder. The maw's control is better for the Piercing tag than the Agg damage, but it is arguably wasted on someone heavily investing in brawl/ma charms.

Oh, and the Maw's attack and damage attributes differ from the Butterflies: perception occult vs intelligence occult should be cheaper in favor of the maw, despite perception being a great stat to have anyway. Int on damage instead of Essence should also be in favor of the maw for a while.
                          Last edited by Synapse; 06-12-2018, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I wish my experience with combat sorcery was like y'all's. Mine consists mainly of failing to get DoOB cast while it's still relevant after wasting so many Excellency motes I could have utterly destroyed the opposition if powering actual combat Charms.

Comment

What shaping ritual do you have?
                              I think they're quite varied in terms of how good they are.

Comment

I've tried a few but the only one I remember was the fire one.

I was rolling poorly, but not long-tail poorly, and if I had been getting those results in attack rolls I'd at least have been contributing onslaught, even hitting.

Comment

Working...
                                X