Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babies and Bathwater - The Captured Warstrider

Introduction

I think we can all agree that 2e's presentation of the setting was at times abysmal; it's hard to get attached to a given city when half a dozen beings each intend to destroy said city utterly, and possess the power and means to do so almost as an afterthought. Back in 2e, I actually got rather upset at Wonders of the Lost Age for introducing me to warstriders, and then describing how the one made by Lover Clad in Raiment of Tears was certain to fuck up Lookshy.

​But now that the power level's been scaled back, now that the pile of dooms heaped on the setting's shoulders is smaller, now that the way artifacts work as a baseline is so drastically different, I can't help but wonder... is there a kernel of cool story amidst the chaff?

The Story

​So, back in 2e, the story was that this Day Caste Abyssal, Exquisite Pain, went on a rampage while piloting the soulsteel warstrider Hateful Devourer of Love, until Lookshyan forces confronted him; he ditched the artifact and retreated, and the triumphant Lookshyan military seized the warstrider.

This was all according to keikaku for the Lover Clad in Raiment of Tears, who had used necromancy to hide Lookshy's doom in the warstrider's chassis. In at least one version of it, she had bound some impressive number of hungry ghosts into the thing. Either way, the Lover Clad knew that the city-state notorious for its class of sorcerer-engineers wouldn't recognize the trap when they saw it, and once they got it back to Lookshy, she could just wait for the opportune moment, and release them all to overrun the city and kill everything.

​(Other options included the warstrider having a vial of the Great Contagion inside, and it would break after being brought to Lookshy, but I'm going to ignore that because I like it even less.)

The Reworking

​Let me say right here that I'm almost venomously opposed to the "villain gets captured on purpose" plan in fiction. So my first stab at trying to salvage this story hook would be to assume that instead of having intended for an invaluable mass of soulsteel to fall into enemy hands from the start, perhaps Exquisite Pain was actually overwhelmed enough to necessitate leaving the walking war machine behind. It was never intended to be dragged into Lookshy and blown up like a bomb (though it may have been intended to be used to destroy Lookshy, and may still be the cause of some trouble there).

​Second, given the way artifacts in general and warstriders in specific have been reworked in the setting, I think it might fit the new paradigm better if the huge number of hungry ghosts bound into the components of the warstrider were just a feature of this warstrider, It also means that Lookshy's savants can analyze this warstrider and not somehow miss the fact that its insides are brimming with restless spirits.

"Oh, yeah," one can say. "That explains the 'Million Screaming Mouths Howl'."

In fact, I'd go so far as to make its bound spirits an obvious part of it; my tentative name for the reworked warstrider is "Heartless Shade Prison." Its pilot could wield Evocations that put these vengeful spirits to use, using their cold hatred to fuel grandiose attacks or even turning some of them loose to even the odds when outnumbered. Instead of it just going off and releasing all the ghosts to pour out of it and devastate the city, maybe the warstrider will tend to create more collateral damage as a result of his Dragon-Blooded pilot's Dissonance with the soulsteel that makes up the colossus. Even then, it won't destroy Lookshy for a Dragon-Blooded to use the thing, though it may create as many problems as it solves.

​Lastly, I can't help but want to change the Deathlord who made this monstrosity. The Lover Clad is a bit of an awkward choice; the Fortress of Crimson Ice is some thousands of miles away from the city-state she supposedly plans to destroy. Perhaps Walker in Darkness oversaw its creation, or he found it amidst the ruins of Princess Magnificent's citadel. Or perhaps it's a gambit by the Mask of Winters?

Conclusion

​By reworking the warstrider's origins, powers, and intended use, we've turned one of 2e's Thousand Dooms into what I hope is a more versatile story hook. Rather than stealing heat from Lookshy to prop up a Deathlord that has no business scheming there, I tried to present its capture as the triumph that Lookshy should see it as, while keeping the warstrider dangerous enough to come back to bite them if they wield its power irresponsibly. I hope that you can use Heartless Shade Prison in your games.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 06-11-2018, 06:20 AM.

Good idea. I especially like the fact that the Deathlord fighting Lookshy with this is... a Deathlord who's actually fighting Lookshy, not one fighting Karn.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I kept thinking that was a thing inherent to the magic of the warstrider (such as it was), rather than just being one that had a bomb loaded in its chassis.

​Ys, if I was trying to rework the concept, it would be an eye towards the thing not being dangerous because it was a Trojan horse*, but because being made by a Deathlord is liable to leave it with unpleasant qualities, if not outright trying to influence the values of its pilot.

​I wouldn't be inclined towards just being a matter of collateral damage, partially because I don't think that would sufficiently distinguish it from many other warstriders (is it causing more damage than the more neutral Cathedral of Sublime Annihilation?), and partially because I personally find breaking lots of things to be an uninteresting way of conveying power that is great in scope or terrible in aspect.

​I think there's potential in developing the idea of its power being based on harnessing ghosts; to explore things like what it says about the persona of the warstrider itself (great icon of a war god holding innumerable souls in thrall), the experience of the souls that it wields and those that it assaults, the manner in which it kills, the manner in which it leaves survivors, and incentives that it might provide to refuel. If it needs souls, is that damage collateral, or is it very deliberate?

​Mind, I think some of these might be the powers one expects of a royal warstrider, but I imagine that helps the narrative. It's a dreadful weapon, coming from a malefic source that wiser counsel might prevail to give a wide berth, but even when dissonant it's an uncommonly powerful thing, the likes of which Lookshy has rarely encountered and can't often be found in the Age of Sorrows, and under the current circumstances that might compel one to wield it.

​Hmm, the narrative of sending it out to be deliberately captured is not without potential, but with a bit more subtlety... the Deathlords often scheme against one another, and the Mask of Winters is a rather immediate threat to Lookshy. A rival Deathlord, seeking to undermine the Mask while maintaining deniability, forges a warstrider intended for Lookshy to wield against him, possibly one whose powers might make it well-suited for contesting Juggernaut. It wouldn't be trusted if it was simply left out, but if taken as spoils of war from the hands of a clever Abyssal that was in on the scheme...

​So now Lookshy has a powerful weapon with which to fight against the Mask of Winters, that also presents a threat to the national soul of Lookshy (and literal souls of its inhabitants), one of the great powers of the Scavenger Lands (high value target for the still untapped treasures of the First Age within), and also being something to draw the attention of other enemies and rivals that might find the power of a royal warstrider, particularly one that might present itself as ideal for combatting the rising threats of the Underworld, difficult to pass up.

​Sure, there's a question of whether or not it's a good idea to hand your enemies a powerful weapon, but if it's such a weapon that their values might be changed in the use of it that, if ever they should confront you, you'll have a good idea of some buttons to press with which to try winning them over, or wracking them with guilt or despair...

​* Although the idea of a Trojan horse in the form of something intended to trick people into thinking that it was a functional warstrider until they bring it inside their defences, and it unleashes something dangerous, is not bad in its own right, I think.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        I wouldn't be inclined towards just being a matter of collateral damage, partially because I don't think that would sufficiently distinguish it from many other warstriders (is it causing more damage than the more neutral Cathedral of Sublime Annihilation?), and partially because I personally find breaking lots of things to be an uninteresting way of conveying power that is great in scope or terrible in aspect.
        Well, to be fair, just up and destroying more buildings or whatever wasn't what was in my head; I was imagining more something where the ghosts unleashed by its attacks might come to haunt the region they were released in if its pilot isn't resonant enough to recall them after, potentially causing damage to diplomatic relations when deployed in the defense of an ally.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        ​I think there's potential in developing the idea of its power being based on harnessing ghosts; to explore things like what it says about the persona of the warstrider itself (great icon of a war god holding innumerable souls in thrall), the experience of the souls that it wields and those that it assaults, the manner in which it kills, the manner in which it leaves survivors, and incentives that it might provide to refuel. If it needs souls, is that damage collateral, or is it very deliberate?

​Mind, I think some of these might be the powers one expects of a royal warstrider, but I imagine that helps the narrative. It's a dreadful weapon, coming from a malefic source that wiser counsel might prevail to give a wide berth, but even when dissonant it's an uncommonly powerful thing, the likes of which Lookshy has rarely encountered and can't often be found in the Age of Sorrows, and under the current circumstances that might compel one to wield it.
        Ooh, I like this.

Originally posted by Isator Levi
        ​Hmm, the narrative of sending it out to be deliberately captured is not without potential, but with a bit more subtlety... the Deathlords often scheme against one another, and the Mask of Winters is a rather immediate threat to Lookshy. A rival Deathlord, seeking to undermine the Mask while maintaining deniability, forges a warstrider intended for Lookshy to wield against him, possibly one whose powers might make it well-suited for contesting Juggernaut. It wouldn't be trusted if it was simply left out, but if taken as spoils of war from the hands of a clever Abyssal that was in on the scheme...

​So now Lookshy has a powerful weapon with which to fight against the Mask of Winters, that also presents a threat to the national soul of Lookshy (and literal souls of its inhabitants), one of the great powers of the Scavenger Lands (high value target for the still untapped treasures of the First Age within), and also being something to draw the attention of other enemies and rivals that might find the power of a royal warstrider, particularly one that might present itself as ideal for combatting the rising threats of the Underworld, difficult to pass up.
        I definitely like this better than what was given to us, yes.

Originally posted by Isator Levi
        ​* Although the idea of a Trojan horse in the form of something intended to trick people into thinking that it was a functional warstrider until they bring it inside their defences, and it unleashes something dangerous, is not bad in its own right, I think.
        Well, now I've got an idea for something to do with my Twilight...
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 06-11-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Loving these ideas. Everything.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Glad y'all like it!

I am not sure that I've got the story I want to tell hammered out enough to produce a set of Evocations for Heartless Shade Prison, but hopefully I've at least given you guys some fun inspiration. I'm gonna try and brainstorm some more later.
            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 06-11-2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Me, i'm having this pretty much bonkers idea that a Deathlord indirectly tipped Lookshy forces into fighting a young brash abyssal seems to be beholden to no one Deathlord so far, a most undesirable wild card only made more so by its acquisition of the equally mysterious warstrider. Too much of a potential mess for one not to deal with, but at the same time too risky and uncertain a situation to directly play one's hand.

The crazy part? The warstrider is the young abyssal's patron, the mausoleum-temple of one of the dead titans many fallen souls given different form and semblance of animation by the fanatical work of legions of spectres and mortwights subsumed themselves into it as a great act of self-sacrificing devotion. A slumbering piece of the Labyrinth in giant robot form, now within the walls of the mighty fortress-city.

Comment

Loving all these ideas! This would make for a pretty cool novel...

Comment

If I do a version of this plot again* it's going to revolve around my version of the Seven-Degreed Physician of Black Maladies.

Essentially his goal to create a "war machine to end the Second Age" is the Bonestrider, not a singular warmachine that's going to kill everyone but the idea of necrosurgical constructs facilitating advanced forms of warfare as long as you're willing to deal with a necromancer. He sees it as something that nations will need to invest in or invest in countermeasures against thus changing the face of warfare in Creation.

I'm not sure if he'd try to take out Lookshy from within or try and get them to be his customers.

I did actually use the Lover because one of the PCs was her reincarnation and changed the 'doom' of Lookshy from something that fate intended for them to a curse that originated from using the Soulbreaker Orb all those centuries ago. An aspect of it was that it made their leadership completely genre blind to a trojan horse gambit like this.

She ultimately abandoned her attempt to destroy Lookshy when she was convinced that everyone would think that the Mask of Winters was responsible and her ego didn't like that one bit.
                  Last edited by Lioness; 06-23-2018, 10:15 AM.

I'm aware of the problems with the forum

The Freedom Stone is back, if you want to talk Exalted try here

Comment

The thousands of trapped souls could be the thing's "power source" for some kind of ghostly soul blaster weapon or something

...and then lookshyan tinkering risks cracking it

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

I like the idea of the warstrider's magic influencing the pilot. Has anyone ever considered an Evocation which unlocks for free the first time the pilot kills someone who offers to surrender, allowing the pilot to recover a point of Willpower 1/d by doing so? As a side benefit, nobody seems to be able to find the ghost of said squished former prisoner-to-be. I wonder where he went? [Clickety Clack, Get in the Warstrider Sack].

Popping in from time to time.

Comment

Okay, let me know how y'all like this, then.
                        Ravenous Shade Prison
                        From the shadowland now called Walker's Realm came the Ravenous Shade Prison. A deathknight wore this god-armor to battle the armies of Lookshy, and it has since been reclaimed by the Dragon-Blooded; Walker in Darkness's agents watch this development curiously, waiting to see if Lookshy brings it to bear against the Mask of Winters.

The warstrider is a slender titan of soulsteel, just over thirty feet in height, whose right wrist ends not with a hand, but with a black sword. The cockpit is designed with acoustic perfection in mind; the pilot may reroll one failed die on Inspire rolls from inside the cockpit.
                        Any human directly killed by Ravenous Shade Prison finds their lower soul wrenched loose and drawn into the warstrider; the warstrider gains one Intimacy the slain person possessed, chosen by the Storyteller, at Minor level. If Ravenous Shade Prison already has that Intimacy at Minor level, it is upgraded to Major level, or to Defining level if it's already Major.

Attunement: 20m
                        ​Soak: 15, Hardness: 10
                        Damage Track: -0x5/-1x5/-2x10/-4x10
                        Speed bonus: +2
                        Hearthstone slots: 3
                        Era: Fall of Thorns

Standard Armaments
                        Sword-Arm: +3 ACC, +12L DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 5. Balanced, Lethal, Natural, Melee
                        Unarmed: +5 ACC, +10B DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 3. Grappling, Natural, Smashing

Through Shades' Eyes
                        Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 2
                        Type: Reflexive
                        Duration: One scene
                        Prerequisites: None
                        The twisted faces of the dead materialize on the black metal of Ravenous Shade Prison, granting the pilot their senses. With these shared senses comes insight into their emotional state.
                        The pilot ignores all penalties from darkness or blindness. The pilot also gains Double 7s on Read Intentions to puzzle out the Intimacies in the warstrider.

Venting Anger Venom
                        Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 2
                        Type: Supplemental
                        Keywords: Decisive-only, Resonant
                        Duration: Instant
                        Prerequisites: Through Shades' Eyes
                        Channeling one of the warstrider's Intimacies of hate or anger, Ravenous Shade Prison's arm glows with a black aura. A successful decisive attack deals extra dice of damage equal to the level of the Intimacy; this degrades the Intimacy by one step. If the target is the object of the warstrider's hate, they are additionally poisoned with snake venom (EX3, p. 234).
                        Resonant: Resonant pilots can choose not to degrade the Intimacy once per scene.

Hate-Devouring Hunger
                        Cost: 1m, 2i; Mins: Essence 2
                        Keywords: Perilous, Psyche, Resonant
                        Scenting the roiling emotions of an attacker, Ravenous Shade Prison seeks out those emotions and consumes them.
                        If the pilot successfully defends, the attacker's most relevant Intimacy toward the combat is degraded by one step, and Ravenous Shade Prison adds the devoured Intimacy to its own. Assaulting the warstrider again this scene requires the attacker to pay a point of temporary Willpower.
                        This Evocation may only erode a given Intimacy once in a scene.
                        Resonant: All enemies must pay a point of temporary Willpower to attack the warstrider, not just the enemy who attacked.

Passion-Sewing Technique
                        Cost: 3m, 1 wp; Mins: Essence 2
                        Type: Simple
                        Keywords: Psyche
                        Duration: Indefinite
                        Prerequisites: Venting Anger Venom
                        Ravenous Shade Prison lowers the point of its sword and carves a furrow into the ground, creating a channel for the emotions roiling inside the warstrider. The pilot selects one of the warstrider's Intimacies, eroding it by one step. She makes a (Charisma or Manipulation + Performance) Inspire roll; any who cross the line whose Resolve is lower than the pilot's successes find themselves filled with the emotion from the Intimacy (Ex3, pg. 217). Ghosts and other dead things take a -2 penalty to Resolve against this effect.
                        ​After the commitment to this Evocation is ended,

Howling Pack Unfettered
                        Cost: 10m, 1wp (+2a); Mins: Essence 3
                        Keywords: Dissonant
                        Duration: Scene
                        Prerequisites: Passion-Sewing Technique
                        Lowering its blade, the warstrider sews the ground with the restless dead. From the furrow cut into the earth pour a stream of hungry ghosts, forming a Battle Group with a Size of (Essence-2), poor Drill, and Might 2.
                        If Howling Pack Unfettered is used during the day, the pilot may pay 2 levels of anima to create an aura of shadows that extends out to Medium range to protect them from the ruinous effects of the sun.
                        At the end of the scene, the surviving hungry ghosts are drawn inexorably back into Ravenous Shade Prison.
                        Dissonant: At the end of the scene, the surviving hungry ghosts are freed from their bondage, and may come to haunt the region.

Empty Inner Peace
                        Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 3
                        Keywords: Psyche, Resonant
                        Prerequisites: Hate-Devouring Hunger
                        The pilot of Ravenous Shade Prison has learned to clear away unwanted emotions by shunting them into the hungry black steel. Any influence that benefits from exploiting one of the pilot's Intimacies may be negated by removing the Intimacy completely, adding it to the warstrider's list of Intimacies. The pilot may not restore the lost Intimacy for a season.
                        Resonant: A resonant user can gain the same benefit from merely eroding the Intimacy by one step, but is still not able to restore it to full strength for a season.

Million Screaming Mouths Howl
                        Cost: 20m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 4
                        Keywords: Dissonant, Psyche
                        Prerequisites: Venting Anger Venom, Passion-Sewing Technique
                        The pilot whips the ghosts contained inside to a frenzy, and then lets their passion emanate from the warstrider in a psychic scream that extends out (Essence x2) miles.
                        Any within the area find their most bestial soul awakened by the silent call. They take a -3 penalty to their Resolve against Inspire rolls from any source for the rest of the scene, and a -1 penalty to Resolve against Inspire rolls after that for a year. Additionally, until their po soul grows quiescent again, affected individuals will leave behind hungry ghosts upon their death, regardless of the circumstances that led to it.
                        Dissonant: Dissonant pilots cannot learn both this Evocation and Heart-Quenching Song.

Heart-Quenching Song
                        Cost: 6m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 4
                        Duration: One song
                        Prerequisites: Empty Inner Peace
                        The pilot sings within the chassis of Ravenous Shade Prison, and her song is joined by the dead, producing a dirge that can be heard out to Extreme range in all directions. The lower souls of those who hear this music fall quiescent, and find their will to fight sapped.
                        While playing this song in combat, enemies automatically lose one Initiative per round, and their successful withering attacks are not awarded the base point of Initiative. Enemies who spend Willpower to resist Hate-Devouring Hunger will take a -3 penalty on attack rolls.
                        Moreover, enemy and allied battle groups alike take a penalty of (Essence) dice on rolls to rally for numbers.
                        Ravenous Shade Prison may not take non-Reflexive actions while using this Evocation, as even its own will to do battle wanes.
                        Those who hear the Heart-Quenching Song will not leave hungry ghosts upon their death if they should die within a year of hearing it.
                        Dissonant: Dissonant pilots cannot learn both this Evocation and Million Screaming Mouths Howl.

Destroyer, Rise!
                        Cost: 35m, 3wp; Mins: Essence 5
                        Keywords: Resonant
                        Prerequisites: Million Screaming Mouths Howl
                        A pilot who awakens this Evocation has mastered the art of turning the anger of the restless dead toward his grand designs. Calling on ten thousand lives' worth of suffering, the pilot reaches out to the land itself, or a landscape-sized creature. She calls on it to awaken, to remember the days when it was a force of destruction, to free itself so that it may be so once more.
                        This call to arms shatters any Charms or enchantments laid to keep the land quiescent. Catastrophe follows in the wake of this Evocation; a mountain may erupt into a volcano or let loose a lethal avalanche, or a city may be shaken to rubble by earthquake, or a great fissure may open in the ground and vent poisonous gasses sufficient to kill armies.
                        This Evocation can only be used when Ravenous Shade Prison has at least five negative Intimacies; using this Evocation consumes all of the warstrider's Intimacies. This Evocation can only be used once per story, unless reset by Ravenous Shade Prison gaining ten new negative Intimacies; the Dawn Caste anima power cannot reset this Evocation.
                        Resonant: Only Resonant pilots can learn both this Evocation and All Falls Silent.

All Falls Silent
                        Cost: 30m, 3wp; Mins: Essence 5
                        Prerequisites: Heart-Quenching Song, Howling Pack Unfettered
                        The pilot may sing a lullaby to the world itself, helping a wounded land let go of its suffering. When the earth sleeps and forgets its pain, it may yet experience rebirth. The faces fade from the surface of Ravenous Shade Prison as they, too, experience freedom from their torment, and dissolve away one by one.
                        The pilot rolls Charisma + Performance, with (Essence) automatic successes. Each minute they are allowed to continue uninterrupted purges (successes) square miles of shadowland from Creation. Any ghosts in the affected area are shunted into the Underworld; the living find themselves in the land's new incarnation in Creation.
                        Other types of injured land might also be healed by All Falls Silent, subject to Storyteller approval.
                        Ravenous Shade Prison loses all the Intimacies it has accrued.
                        This Evocation can only be used once per story, unless reset by accomplishing a Legendary social goal with Ravenous Shade Prison; it cannot be reset with the Dawn Caste anima power.
                        Resonant: Only Resonant pilots can learn both this Evocation and Destroyer, Rise!
                        {C} Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.

Rich Text Editor, vb-cke-instance-1 Editor toolbars Source Remove Format Paste as Plain text Paste from WordFontSize Text Color Undo Redo Bold Italic Underline Align Left Center Align Right Insert/Remove Numbered List Insert/Remove Bulleted List Decrease Indent Increase Indent Link Unlink Image Insert Video Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text Wrap [CODE] tags around selected text Wrap [HTML] tags around selected text Wrap [PHP] tags around selected text Table Table Tools Subscript Superscript Insert Horizontal Linex Press ALT 0 for help

Comment

Okay, hope y'all like this. I know I took a while on it, but I got stuck in a few places. Thanks to Lioness , The Wizard of Oz , and Isator Levi for acting as occasional sounding boards.

Ravenous Shade Prison
                          From the shadowland now called Walker's Realm came the Ravenous Shade Prison. A deathknight wore this god-armor to battle the armies of Lookshy, and it has since been reclaimed by the Dragon-Blooded; Walker in Darkness's agents watch this development curiously, waiting to see if Lookshy brings it to bear against the Mask of Winters.

The warstrider is a slender titan of soulsteel, just over thirty feet in height, whose right wrist ends not with a hand, but with a black sword. The cockpit is designed with acoustic perfection in mind; the pilot may reroll one failed die on Inspire rolls from inside the cockpit.

​Ravenous Shade Prison does not possess a true intelligence or personality; rather, the sheer press of emotion-riddled souls inside it gives it a gestalt psyche that changes as ghosts are added to the warstrider. Any human directly killed by Ravenous Shade Prison finds their lower soul wrenched loose and drawn into the warstrider; it gains one Intimacy the slain person possessed, chosen by the Storyteller, at Minor level. If Ravenous Shade Prison already has that Intimacy at Minor level, it is upgraded to Major level, or to Defining level if it's already Major.

Attunement: 20m
                          ​Soak: 15, Hardness: 10
                          Damage Track: -0x5/-1x5/-2x10/-4x10
                          Speed bonus: +2
                          Hearthstone slots: 3
                          Era: Fall of Thorns

Standard Armaments
                          Sword-Arm: +3 ACC, +12L DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 5. Balanced, Lethal, Natural, Melee
                          Unarmed: +5 ACC, +10B DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 3. Grappling, Natural, Smashing

Through Shades' Eyes
                          Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 2
                          Duration: One scene
                          Prerequisites: None
                          The twisted faces of the dead materialize on the black metal of Ravenous Shade Prison, granting the pilot their senses. With these shared senses comes insight into their emotional state.
                          The pilot ignores all penalties from darkness or blindness. The pilot also gains Double 7s on Read Intentions to puzzle out the Intimacies of the warstrider.

Venting Anger Venom
                          Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 2
                          Type: Supplemental
                          Keywords: Dual, Resonant
                          Channeling one of the warstrider's Intimacies of hate or anger, Ravenous Shade Prison's arm glows with a black aura.
                          ​On a successful withering attack, the damage is increased by (Charisma + Intimacy); for a successful decisive attack, the damage is increased by (Intimacy) dice. This degrades the Intimacy by one step. If the target is the object of the warstrider's hate, they are additionally poisoned with snake venom (EX3, p. 234).
                          Resonant: Resonant pilots can choose not to degrade the Intimacy once per scene.
                          Special activation rules: This Evocation awakens at no cost when the pilot first successfully determines one of Ravenous Shade Prison's Intimacies with a Read Intentions action.

Hate-Devouring Hunger
                          Cost: 1m, 2i; Mins: Essence 2
                          Keywords: Perilous, Psyche, Resonant
                          Scenting the roiling emotions of an attacker, Ravenous Shade Prison seeks out those emotions and consumes them.
                          If the pilot successfully defends, the attacker's most relevant Intimacy toward the combat is degraded by one step, and Ravenous Shade Prison adds the devoured Intimacy to its own. Assaulting the warstrider again this scene requires the attacker to pay a point of temporary Willpower.
                          This Evocation may only erode a given Intimacy once in a scene.
                          Resonant: All enemies must pay a point of temporary Willpower to attack the warstrider, not just the enemy who attacked.

Passion-Sewing Technique
                          Cost: 3m, 1 wp; Mins: Essence 2
                          Keywords: Psyche
                          Duration: Indefinite
                          Prerequisites: Venting Anger Venom
                          Ravenous Shade Prison lowers the point of its sword and carves a furrow into the ground, creating a channel for the emotions roiling inside the warstrider. The pilot selects one of the warstrider's Intimacies, eroding it by one step. She makes a (Charisma or Manipulation + Performance) Inspire roll; any who cross the line whose Resolve is lower than the pilot's successes find themselves filled with the emotion from the Intimacy (Ex3, pg. 217). Ghosts and other dead things take a -2 penalty to Resolve against this effect.

Howling Pack Unfettered
                          Cost: 10m, 1wp (+2a); Mins: Essence 3
                          Keywords: Dissonant
                          Duration: Scene
                          Prerequisites: Passion-Sewing Technique
                          Lowering its blade, the warstrider sews the ground with the restless dead. From the furrow cut into the earth pour a stream of hungry ghosts, forming a Battle Group with a Size of (Essence-2), poor Drill, and Might 2.
                          If Howling Pack Unfettered is used during the day, the pilot may pay 2 levels of anima to create an aura of shadows that extends out to Medium range to protect them from the ruinous effects of the sun.
                          This Evocation may only be used once per scene. At the end of the scene, the surviving hungry ghosts are drawn inexorably back into Ravenous Shade Prison.
                          Dissonant: At the end of the scene, the surviving hungry ghosts are freed from their bondage, and may come to haunt the region.

Empty Inner Peace
                          Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 3
                          Keywords: Psyche, Resonant
                          Prerequisites: Hate-Devouring Hunger
                          The pilot of Ravenous Shade Prison has learned to clear away unwanted emotions by shunting them into the hungry black steel. Any influence that benefits from exploiting one of the pilot's Intimacies may be negated by removing the Intimacy completely, adding it to the warstrider's list of Intimacies. The pilot may not restore the lost Intimacy for a season.
                          Resonant: A resonant user can gain the same benefit from merely eroding the Intimacy by one step, but is still not able to restore it to full strength for a season.

Million Screaming Mouths Howl
                          Cost: 20m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 4
                          Prerequisites: Venting Anger Venom, Passion-Sewing Technique
                          The pilot whips the ghosts contained inside to a frenzy, and then lets their passion emanate from the warstrider in a psychic scream that extends out (Essence x2) miles.
                          Any within the area find their most bestial soul awakened by the silent call. They take a -3 penalty to their Resolve against Inspire rolls from any source for the rest of the scene, and a -1 penalty to Resolve against Inspire rolls after that for a year. Additionally, until their po soul grows quiescent again, affected individuals will leave behind hungry ghosts upon their death, regardless of the circumstances that led to it.
                          Dissonant: Dissonant pilots cannot learn both this Evocation and Heart-Quenching Song.

Heart-Quenching Song
                          Cost: 6m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 4
                          Prerequisites: Empty Inner Peace
                          The pilot sings within the chassis of Ravenous Shade Prison, and her song is joined by the dead, producing a dirge that can be heard out to Extreme range in all directions. The lower souls of those who hear this music fall quiescent, and find their will to fight sapped.
                          While playing this song in combat, enemies automatically lose one Initiative per round, and their successful withering attacks are not awarded the base point of Initiative. Enemies who spend Willpower to resist Hate-Devouring Hunger will take a -3 penalty on attack rolls.
                          Moreover, enemy and allied battle groups alike take a penalty of (Essence) dice on rolls to rally for numbers.
                          Ravenous Shade Prison may not take non-Reflexive actions while using this Evocation, as even its own will to do battle wanes.
                          Those who hear the Heart-Quenching Song will not leave hungry ghosts upon their death if they should die within a year of hearing it.
                          Dissonant: Dissonant pilots cannot learn both this Evocation and Million Screaming Mouths Howl.

Destroyer, Rise!
                          Cost: 35m, 3wp; Mins: Essence 5
                          Prerequisites: Million Screaming Mouths Howl
                          A pilot who awakens this Evocation has mastered the art of turning the anger of the restless dead toward his grand designs. Calling on ten thousand lives' worth of suffering, the pilot reaches out to the land itself, or a landscape-sized creature. She calls on it to awaken, to remember the days when it was a force of destruction, to free itself so that it may be so once more.
                          This call to arms shatters any Charms or enchantments laid to keep the land quiescent. Catastrophe follows in the wake of this Evocation; a mountain may erupt into a volcano or let loose a lethal avalanche, or a city may be shaken to rubble by earthquake, or a great fissure may open in the ground and vent poisonous gasses sufficient to kill armies.
                          This Evocation can only be used when Ravenous Shade Prison has at least five negative Intimacies; using this Evocation consumes all of the warstrider's Intimacies. This Evocation can only be used once per story, unless reset by Ravenous Shade Prison gaining ten new negative Intimacies; the Dawn Caste anima power cannot reset this Evocation.
                          Resonant: Only Resonant pilots can learn both this Evocation and All Falls Silent.

All Falls Silent
                          Cost: 30m, 3wp; Mins: Essence 5
                          Prerequisites: Heart-Quenching Song, Howling Pack Unfettered
                          The pilot may sing a lullaby to the world itself, helping a wounded land let go of its suffering. When the earth sleeps and forgets its pain, it may yet experience rebirth. The faces fade from the surface of Ravenous Shade Prison as they, too, experience freedom from their torment, and dissolve away one by one.
                          The pilot rolls Charisma + Performance, with (Essence) automatic successes. Each minute they are allowed to continue uninterrupted purges (successes) square miles of shadowland from Creation. Any ghosts in the affected area are shunted into the Underworld; the living find themselves in the land's new incarnation in Creation.
                          Other types of injured land might also be healed by All Falls Silent, subject to Storyteller approval.
                          Ravenous Shade Prison loses all the Intimacies it has accrued.
                          This Evocation can only be used once per story, unless reset by accomplishing a Legendary social goal with Ravenous Shade Prison; it cannot be reset with the Dawn Caste anima power.
                          Resonant: Only Resonant pilots can learn both this Evocation and Destroyer, Rise!
                          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-03-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X