A complement to Earth Dragon Style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A complement to Earth Dragon Style

This isn't the first time I've started a thread like this, but I've listened to criticism for the previous proposals and have returned with something new.

An Earth Dragon stylist learns to emulates the durability of stone to weather blows without flinching, which affords her the confidence to adopt a firm and deeply rooted stance in battle. From the stillness and solidity of this stance, she finds the leverage she needs to deliver powerful blows with very little wind-up. She applies these calculate and forceful strikes more easily to her targets after she knocks them prone, burdens them with the stillness of stone, buries them up to the waist in the earth, and then breaks their weapon so that neither dodging nor parrying will save them from the hither-to-now shockingly rapid blows of Avalanche Method. But the style's only real method of engaging an distantly elusive foe is Earthshaker Attack, which is hardly specialized for that task.

Comparatively, it's an extremely immobile Style, specializing in face-to-face slugfests against systematically immobilized and disarmed opponents.

I feel a much more mobile and fluid hammer Style is also possible.

Monster Hunter World and Dauntless (its new, free-to-play competitor) both allow you to play warriors who battle giant monsters with two-handed hammers. Because these weapons offer no meaningful defense against such beasts, they are effectively glass cannons that compensate by dealing massive damage and having the best chance of stunning the monsters to render them helpless on the ground. These windows of opportunity allow the warrior to hammer away with impunity, but getting to that point requires careful positioning and a willingness to quit after one attack to dodge, disengage, and roll away to run to safety, and then to run back at the monster while charging (or winding, if you will) up for their next attack.

Nora Valkyrie of RWBY fights humans her own size as often as giant monsters, also using a two-handed hammer. Her combat style is likewise characterized by agility and motion; her most frequent attacks involve running or leaping at her target and then rotating her entire body as she spins her hammer in both hands -- a wheel within a wheel -- to generate as much power as possible. These strikes invariably deliver results akin to Heaven Thunder Hammer, even to targets she's never struck before, and without needing to use the explosion of one of her hammer's grenades. Even when she's already within range of her target and unable to get a running start, she can use the motion of a successful dodge to start her hammer spinning in a maneuver that combines offense and defense, stripping away the opponent's Initiative before Nora pours the spin into another Heaven Thunder Hammer smash.

Warframe features two different styles (Stance mods) for two-handed hammers. Shattering Storm acts most like Earth Dragon Style with its "methodical strikes and high-impact combos" and ground-pounding attacks, but both it and Crushing Ruin feature prodigious swinging that generates power more from constant, unbroken motion than from solidly rooted stances. Of special note, the Shattered Village attack of Crushing Ruin employs Nora's wheel-within-wheel spin for power.

Oh, and I forgot Meru the sledge-hammer dancer of Legend of Dragoon.

A Style based on these inspirations would be a riskier than Earth Dragon, as the power of each move is derived from the success of the last, and your momentum can be broken by taking damage or being knocked prone. It's a dance where your opponent must break your flow before your flow breaks them.

Ironically, it could be an even more team-oriented Style than Earth Dragon, because of how useful it would be for someone else to defend them or distract the target so that the hammer-stylist could work undisturbed. But the two styles could definitely synergize well, with Earth Dragon giving a stylist the power to stand firm when the time is right, and this Style giving her options beyond simply standing her ground and additional options for smashing stuff to death.

This is the Crushing Pendulum Style.

Here's a rough sketch. Please tell me your misgivings once again, that I may learn and further improve upon the idea.

Rebounding Strike (MHW's Triangle Button Combo)
    Harnessing the recoiling force of your hammer striking your target, cock your hammer back for another powerful strike, and continue the rhythm of violence. If you have not taken a movement action, been knocked prone, or suffered any damage since the last successful attack you made on your previous turn, add dice to your raw damage equal to Initiative you stole or the levels of damage you inflicted on the last strike. I don't know what kind of basic damage boost the first attack of a chain should grant.

Sow The Wind (Nora Valkyrie's dodging counterattack)
    While dodging away from an attack or deflecting it with your weapon, follow the motion through and throw your whole body into your response. You may use this Charm if, since your previous turn, you were not rendered prone and you successfully dodged the last attack made against you. Add the difference between your Defense and your attacker's successes as bonus dice to attack roll. Alternatively, if you choose to supplement a Full Defense action, add the difference to your Defense against the first attack made against you.

Form
    Probably enables something like the Charging Up move from Monster Hunter, though it might be fluffed as "winding up" with the "wheel-within-wheel" motion. Alternatively, it might enable the Power Charge move described below, with that effect being replaced by some other Charm.

Reap The Whirlwind (Nora Valkyrie's dodging counterattack)
    After successfully Defending against an attack, make a reflexive counterattack. This Charm cannot be used while prone. Terrestrial: This counts as the Exalt's attack for the round; if the Terrestrial has already attacked during her turn this round, she may not attack on her turn in the next round. Celestial or Mastery: The Exalt may use this Counterattack to start the Spinning Bludgeon or the Big Bang Combo.

Rolling Thunder (Nora Valkyrie's signature wheel-within-wheel attack, and the "falling spin strike" she and Monster Hunters share)
    This Charm can only be used after moving into close range with your target, or as your counterattack with Reap The Whirlwind, or the third attack in a row that you supplement with Rebounding Strike. It is a Decisive attack with effects similar to Heaven Thunder Hammer. This Charm can also be used when falling from the sky, negating at least one range band of falling damage. It is explicitly allowed to combine with effects like Leaping Tiger Technique, Thunderbolt Attack Prana, Thunderclap Rush Attack, and Falling Star Maneuver, not that there should be any question of mechanical compatibility.

Spinning Bludgeon (MHW attack of the same name, and Nora's spinning attack against Weiss)
    This Charm can only be used after moving into close range with your target or as your counterattack with Reap The Whirlwind. It is a special Decisive Simple attack Charm that can last up to three turns. One each turn you may attack any target within range once, and your Initiative remains unchanged until you have made all three attacks or the Charm ends. The entire combo automatically includes the effects of Rebounding Strike, and the third attack automatically includes the effects of Rolling Thunder. While this Charm is in effect, you cannot take movement actions, you automatically fail to resist Rush actions, and your Defense is penalized if not set to 0. This Charm will end prematurely at the beginning of your next turn if you supplement the first or second attacks with Rolling Thunder, or if you are knocked prone or suffer any damage.

Whirling Clash (a quality-of-life addition)
    While using Spinning Bludgeon, you may make a reflexive Clash attack. Terrestrial: Using this Charm before your turn in the second or third round of using Spinning Bludgeon will expend that round's attack; using it after your turn in the second round will end Spinning Bludgeon prematurely at the beginning of your third turn.

Power Charge (Monster Hunter World)
    Increase raw damage and stunning potential, as well as gaining "super armor" while charging or attacking; essentially raising your Soak/Hardness to offset the defenselessness of the Spinning Bludgeon and Big Bang Combo. (Nora could be interpreted as doing something like this in the first Chapter of Volume 4, right before the finishing attack against the Petra Gigas.)

Stunning Smash
    Sort of like Knockout Blow or Ox-Stunning Blow. Gotta knock your target silly when they're prone and crashed, to give yourself the opening necessary to execute the Big Bang Combo.

Big Bang Combo (MHW's Circle Button Combo)
    A special decisive Simple attack Charm that can last up to five turns. Each turn you may attack once, and your Initiative remains unchanged until you have made all five attacks or the Charm ends. This Charm automatically includes the effects of Rebounding Strike, and the fifth attack automatically includes the effect of Rolling Thunder. Unlike Spinning Bludgeon, you may only attack one target, but you may choose to end the Charm prematurely at the beginning of each of the four following turns. Each turn that you choose to attack rather than cancel the Charm, you cannot take movement actions, you automatically fail to resist any Rush actions as well as Disengage actions from opponents other than the one you are attacking, and your Defense is penalized if not set to 0. If you miss the first attack, you lose Initiative as normal for a failed decisive attack. If you miss any attack after that, your Initiative is reset to base and the Charm ends at the beginning of your next turn.

I'm particularly concerned about Spinning Bludgeon and Big Bang Combo. Five turns in particular is probably far too long and sticking too closely to Monster Hunter World.

In the last proposal, these were fairly normal, instant-duration, "multi-attack" Simple Charms, but this was before Avalanche Method was printed, and some people said that throwing multiple hammer blows in a single action didn't feel appropriate for a sledge-hammer Style. Have people changed their minds?
    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 06-23-2018, 07:06 PM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Simple opinions are fine, too.

I'd like to hear if people even think the concept of this Style is interesting.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but all the jumping and spinning brings something of a "tornadoes & whirlwinds" imagery to mind, a raging huricane style, so to speak, with maybe some creative use of one's giant hammer for pole vaulting and leverage for extra knockback/throwing power too...

Comment

So I rewrote this over and over again for over an hour. There isn't really a good way to say this, but you didn't write out a martial art- you wrote out a handful of interesting charms with no theme other than "hit somebody with a hammer". These are a decent start for a line of Evocations, but even by that standard they lack a central idea.

Here are some critiques I have: There are Charms that activate off of a defense or a dodge but no way in-style to get a defense bonus. Why is the Hammer style interested in dodging out of the way but also penalizing movement? Shouldn't I be controlling the rhythm of the fight with the engine-block-on-a-stick I'm holding? What's the idea behind rebound strike- you hit them and... hit them again the same way? why is it better the second time? Spinning Bludgeon has no way to prevent opponents from just jumping back to short range while you spin like a top, for three whole turns. How many rounds does combat go at your table? Big Bang is 5 decisive attacks in a row without Initiative loss? For a style based on a giant weapon, most of the moves are "hit them again and again and again", which doesn't take advantage of any hammer properties beyond "its heavy and you can get some inertia going". Where are the moves that crack armor like a crab shell, pump up your overwhelming damage to smash through high defense foes, or break the ground from sheer weight of impact?

Why is your form charm a complete afterthought with no mechanic? That's literally the defining trait of a martial art.

This isn't limited to you, it's shown up on this forum and others. The general style of "I like weapon XYZ, how can I make a martial art about it?" is backwards thinking. The idea should be "I want to evoke Idea ABC, how can I convey that idea using charms?" Weapons come as part of that. Single Point is probably the most weapon-specific of all the MAs, being the Katana Style, but even that rests on the idea "How can I make the iaijutsu master/Kenshin archetype unique?" Righteous Devil does the same for "Cowboy Gunfighter", White Reaper is "Mook Harvester", and so on. Right now, you have a collection of basic attacks you want to copy-paste into Exalted. Solar Melee is already doing this and more.

What do you want to do with this style, like what idea to you want to invoke? How does Hunting Large Monsters sound? That's something MHW, Dauntless, and Nora all have in common. It also explains why you'd favor a hammer- a slashing sword is gonna struggle to take down a buffalo, let alone a 30 foot long tyrant lizard/armadillo hybrid. But here comes Living Rock Havel, Master of the Monster-Slaying Sledge Style to smash in that beast's skull like an ornery coconut. Now we have a hook to build an esoteric, spiritual practice around. Let's think of a mechanic that differentiates Sledge Style from Melee.

Here are some things I'd expect to find in a Hammer Based Style: Overwhelming Damage Buff, Breaking Armor, making a crater in the ground, AoE ground pound, knocking Prone, a bonus against Giant Sized Creatures, Slowing movement, etc. There's even a theme hidden behind them- asserting a very respectable Zone of Control (like how SP's hidden theme is "all or nothing attack" while it's forward theme is "high speed"). You could make the Forward Theme and Mechanic "Monster Slaying" while developing the hidden/secondary theme "ZoC".

I probably could have worded that better, and Its not my intention to be overly critical. I appreciate the work that went into this and I an a huge fans of axes and hammers (and MHW) myself. I want a style that gives them some love, but it needs to have a set of internally justified reasons for it to be a Martial Art and not just a collection of charms. Good Luck, I really want to see what you come up with.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
          Maybe it's just me, but all the jumping and spinning brings something of a "tornadoes & whirlwinds" imagery to mind, a raging huricane style, so to speak, with maybe some creative use of one's giant hammer for pole vaulting and leverage for extra knockback/throwing power too...
          Meru is constantly doing that, but none of the other sources of inspiration do. Pole vaulting and pole dancing like that might be more of a Monkey Style thing, or might be the result of mixing this Style up with Swaying Grass Style, which is also dance-like and focuses on kicking.

The idea of using tornadoes, whirlwinds, and hurricanes as the Style's metaphor sounds interesting. Do you think the idea of a tornado lifting off the ground only to touch back down multiple times is a suitable enough image for Rebounding Strike and the Big Bang Combo? That is, a repeating, over-head smashing attack, like driving a nail into the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
            I probably could have worded that better, and Its not my intention to be overly critical. I appreciate the work that went into this and I an a huge fans of axes and hammers (and MHW) myself. I want a style that gives them some love, but it needs to have a set of internally justified reasons for it to be a Martial Art and not just a collection of charms. Good Luck, I really want to see what you come up with.
            I appreciate your criticisms, and thank you for the time and effort you took to write them.

I have offered some counter-arguments and I look forward to hearing how you disagree with them, and what alternatives you might be able to suggest.

I knew that the sketch I provided in the first post was crap. I was counting on others pointing out the various ways in which the Style failed, in the hopes that they could point me in new directions.

This isn't limited to you, it's shown up on this forum and others. The general style of "I like weapon XYZ, how can I make a martial art about it?" is backwards thinking. The idea should be "I want to evoke Idea ABC, how can I convey that idea using charms?" Weapons come as part of that.

What do you want to do with this style, like what idea to you want to invoke?
            The original idea of Unstoppable Pendulum Style was "Monty Oum combat dancing with a long, heavy murderstick", whether hammer or axe or scythe. To spit in the face of the idea that such weapons could not be graceful simply because they were slow and heavy. To pursue the ideal that you could start spinning and swinging and just not stop until your opponents were all broken on the floor; to become a perpetual motion machine of death.

Would that not be a "hook" to build a "spiritual, esoteric practice" around?

But it didn't seem like I was getting anywhere with that idea, and I couldn't reconcile how the Style Charm for managing the recoil of successful decisive strikes would behave the same for blunt and bladed instruments. So I decided to try focusing on hammers.

And one of the ways that hammers could express "pendulum" was "repeated overhead smashing gets easier after you start".

Why is your form charm a complete afterthought with no mechanic? That's literally the defining trait of a martial art.
            Originally, the idea was to include a unique mechanic called "Momentum" which the Form Charm would allow you to generate, as per White Reaper and its Halos. Or the very first Charm in the Style would let you generate Momentum like Naked Fang Draw in Steel Devil Style lets you gain Off-Hand Charge, and the Pendulum From Charm would merely help you manage the resource as per Steel Devil Form.

Momentum was always intended to be a fragile resource you could lose by getting hit; like an extra, ablative pool of Initiative.

But the idea seemed overly complicated.

you didn't write out a martial art- you wrote out a handful of interesting charms with no theme other than "hit somebody with a hammer". These are a decent start for a line of Evocations, but even by that standard they lack a central idea.
            Single Point is probably the most weapon-specific of all the MAs, being the Katana Style, but even that rests on the idea "How can I make the iaijutsu master/Kenshin archetype unique?" Righteous Devil does the same for "Cowboy Gunfighter", White Reaper is "Mook Harvester", and so on. Right now, you have a collection of basic attacks you want to copy-paste into Exalted. Solar Melee is already doing this and more.
            What precisely do you mean by theme? If you're not referring to something like Steel Devil Style's Off-Hand Charge, then you're not referring to a mechanical theme. And you don't refer to Steel Devil Style at all, which doesn't even have as much aesthetic theme as Single Point Shining into the Void.

Single Point at least has Hakumen's origin story of "I got trapped in BlazBlue's Boundary/Void, fought a duplicate of myself, and then cut my way through infinite time and space to return to Creation". Steel Devil, by contrast, is literally just "I attack and defend really well with two swords". No offense meant to Steel Devil Style.

Here are some critiques I have: There are Charms that activate off of a defense or a dodge but no way in-style to get a defense bonus.
            That might be a fair point!

On the other hand, Snake Style has more need of Serpentine Evasion at the start because it cannot Smash someone prone right out of the gate, and someone who is prone suffers a -3 dice penalty to attack rolls. Even if they flurry a Rise From Prone action with an attack, the flurry penalty is also -3 dice.

Why is the Hammer style interested in dodging out of the way but also penalizing movement? Shouldn't I be controlling the rhythm of the fight with the engine-block-on-a-stick I'm holding?
            The idea with Rebounding Strikes and the Big Bang Combo isn't simply to ape how combos work in Monster Hunter World, but also to respect the fact that repeating an overhead smash like that is easier if you have a rooted stance and just do not move.

In the first place, these Charms are only meant to be used against prone opponents, suffering from a hefty attack penalty, and who cannot make a Disengage action until after a turn in which they succeed at a Rise From Prone action. Against such opponents, the hammering warrior doesn't need to Move or Disengage, and if he does move away, naturally his combo should end.

In the second place, I hoped that these Charms would give the Crushing Pendulum Stylist some means to keep fighting even if an Earth Dragon Stylist trapped them with Hungry Earth Strike, or anyone else basically glued their feet to the floor. If the Pendulum Stylist cannot spin her whole body, she could at least start raining down overhead strikes.

Spinning Bludgeon has no way to prevent opponents from just jumping back to short range while you spin like a top, for three whole turns.
            They'd need Leaping Dodge Method or similar to do that, or at least something like Nimble Reaving Wind or Heat-of-Battle Advance. I didn't write Spinning Bludgeon to auto-fail against Disengage actions.

Otherwise, yeah, the move is risky like that in Monster Hunter World, but I did include the same way to cancel it early.

How many rounds does combat go at your table? Big Bang is 5 decisive attacks in a row without Initiative loss?
            I did offer an explanation about why I didn't write Big Bang as a more typical "multi-attack" Charm.

What's the idea behind rebound strike- you hit them and... hit them again the same way? why is it better the second time?
            "Because magic" would be a good enough answer, but more than that, it's establishing a rhythm. I've handled a sledgehammer for work before, to drive rail spikes into the ground or to smash things to pieces. Once you get started, repeating the action becomes easier.

Also, striking objects with a blunt weapon like a hammer results in more recoil. Instead of having to pull a blade free. The head bounces off on its own most of the time, which makes it easier to get the hammer back over your head for another falling blow.

Where are the moves that crack armor like a crab shell, pump up your overwhelming damage to smash through high defense foes, or break the ground from sheer weight of impact?
            Breaking the ground is something Earth Dragon Style and Fist of the Titans do with elemental earth magic.

Increasing Overwhelming values would fall under the "Power Charge" Charm.

Cracking artificial and natural armor is, admittedly, something both sufficiently different from Earth Dragon Style and Fist of the Titans (which break weapons or deliberately non-specific bones, respectively), while also being very important to the Monster Hunter inspiration and far from inappropriate to the other forms of inspiration.

How does Hunting Large Monsters sound? That's something MHW, Dauntless, and Nora all have in common. It also explains why you'd favor a hammer- a slashing sword is gonna struggle to take down a buffalo, let alone a 30 foot long tyrant lizard/armadillo hybrid. But here comes Living Rock Havel, Master of the Monster-Slaying Sledge Style to smash in that beast's skull like an ornery coconut. Now we have a hook to build an esoteric, spiritual practice around. Let's think of a mechanic that differentiates Sledge Style from Melee.
            That sounds promising. But...

Here are some things I'd expect to find in a Hammer Based Style: Overwhelming Damage Buff, Breaking Armor, making a crater in the ground, AoE ground pound, knocking Prone, a bonus against Giant Sized Creatures, Slowing movement, etc. There's even a theme hidden behind them- asserting a very respectable Zone of Control (like how SP's hidden theme is "all or nothing attack" while it's forward theme is "high speed"). You could make the Forward Theme and Mechanic "Monster Slaying" while developing the hidden/secondary theme "ZoC".
            But THAT is not what I want at all.

Further, ALL of that is Earth Dragon Style. Even without Fist of the Titans assisting, Earth Dragon Style has the Overwhelming damage buff, AoE ground pound, knocking prone, bonuses against prone targets, using Stillness-of-Stone Atemi to apply mobility penalties to hinder the target's movement actions and Evasion, and hindering movement even more with Hungry Earth Strike. Earth Dragon may not have a Charm for breaking armor, but storytellers might allow it to be used to break a monster's horns.

And honestly, I'd already figured that Legendary Size monsters could do with special Gambits involving breaking horns or armor, and possibly chopping off tails. And that's assuming the storyteller didn't just use the "trade damage for crippling injury" rule on the beast's behalf.

I feel that your idea is the one better suited for an Artifact and its Evocations. A hammer-shaped version of the Task of Ga-Malech, with Evocations based around smashing armored monsters of Legendary Size to death. That's all that Earth Dragon Style is missing, to complete your vision.
            Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 06-24-2018, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Okay, I'm going back to the drawing board again.

I'm going to slice off some inspiration from Monster Hunter, and leave the building-power combo concept to artifact hammers with appropriate Evocations. I'm going to focus entirely on the circular motions that enthrall me so.

This time, I'm going to return to my original alias.

Tornado Wolf.

Comment

Now you’re thinking with martial arts, especially given that we could in fact really use an Everything’s Better With Spinning Style.

Comment

What do you think:

A style that seeks to emulate the overwhelming circular force of tornadoes and cyclones (which are the same thing as hurricanes and typhoons) with polearms -- staves and spears of the medium class, and hammers, axes, and scythes of the heavy class.

The style can't be performed unarmed, but with a weapon to polevault with, you can use it to kick. Aesthetically, kicking the back of your weapon's business end is also used to generate more force behind a strike.

The style might allow medium armor, but heavy is right out. At worst, light armor is fine.

The style will still practically shut down if you are rendered prone, but this time it's going to include a way to reflexively prevent yourself from falling prone, for a price. And if you do fall prone, Rising Tornado Recovery will help you spin back up to your feet with enough force to get right back to swinging away.

Just as Mournful Crane's Cry enhances decisive counterattacks differently depending on the weapon you use, this style could do the same with its own assortment of weaponry, so that only the blunt weapons achieve an effect like Heaven Thunder Hammer. Or else the Charm works the same for all of them, and it's just assumed that you turn a bladed weapon to hit someone with a blunt side.
                  Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 06-24-2018, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Apparently, the pinnacle Charm is basically Galeforce, from Fire Emblem.

Comment

I keep coming back to the idea of vortices (tornados, hurricanes, etc) for the thesis and image of a two-handed hammer style, to capitalize on the smashing attacks in a way that a generic "two-handed weapon" Style really couldn't.

I'm bothered that the shared tactics of the hammers and axes might need to be copied across two separate Styles, but at least the two-handed axe Style has an extremely valid reason to be completely separate. Since the axeman never needs to run after someone he smashed away, and in fact would do as much as possible to cripple his opponent to remain still, the axeman can wear the heaviest armor possible where the hammer-dancer wants to wear very little or none at all, like Nora and Meru.

In fact, I get Sir Gawain and the Green Knight imagery in mind, with the axeman as the Green Knight. Perhaps a post-Form Charm could involve cutting off your own head so that it flies around and attacks people with its own Initiative, or something. Not really what I want for a two-handed ax Style, but at the very least it would be unique.

Returning to the tornado-hammer Style, my plans at present are struggling to find ways to emulate Heaven Thunder Hammer, Lightning Strikes Twice, Shockwave Technique, and Falling Star Maneuver for a Style that rewards you for treating your opponent like a pinball and racing after them to keep up the combo chain.

The problem is that I suck and I'm tired.
                      Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 08-17-2018, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Righteous Devil Style is completely dependent on its associated weapons, without any capacity to be used unarmed. The Form Charm provides a bit more versatility in allowing the use of flame-discharge weapons as clubs.

I think that any Style which tries to be so dependent on heavy weapons might require similar benefits from their Form Charms. For example, the ability to use a two-handed hammer, axe, or scythe as a medium weapon by striking or poking someone with the butt of the haft.

Otherwise, the Styles' Charms should focus as much or more improving basic accuracy with their weapons as Tiger Style focuses on improving damage.

Comment

Something I realized is that Nora’s knockback effect could be treated more cinematically rather than simulationist-y.

When Nora knocks someone away, they are DONE. They are not necessarily dead, but they are out of the fight. She won the duel.

So, being knocked away farther than short range could just be a side-effect of a Tornado Style hammer attack that manages to crash or incapacitate the target.

Comment

That's definitely the case with Single Point Shining into the Void Style, but is it the case with Steel Devil Style?

Dual-Slaying Stance is definitely important for a Steel Devil Stylist who wants to fight defensively, but Steel Devil Form merely enhances the basic Style without being the core of it.

The core of the Style is the Off-Hand Charge, which is a function of the fundamental Ability, and used with Double-Attack Technique.

Theoretically, another Style could have a resource like Off-Hand Charge, generated by using the fundamental Ability or the very first Charm of the Style (in the way that the very first Charm of Nightingale Style gives you the Style's only weapon).

First Charm: Create "Spin" Condition
                            1m; Reflexive; Instant

You may use this Charm whenever you succeed at a rush, disengage, or withering attack, whenever you succeed at Defense, or whenever you take a Move, Aim, Full Defense, or dance-based Performance action. This Charm creates the Spin condition, which effectively increases your Initiative by 2 for the purposes of determining when you act in the next round and how much decisive damage you can roll.

You instantly lose the Spin condition at the end of your next turn or after being attacked or rendered prone, whichever happens first. You cannot gain the Spin condition while grappled or prone.

The Spin condition can also be spent to activate or empower the other Charms of this Style.

The Form Charm could then increase the basic benefits of the Spin condition, and make it easier to achieve the condition by adding dice to rush, disengage, and withering attack actions. It could also let you keep the Spin condition longer than one turn, without needing to spend more motes, as long as you only take (and succeed at) the sort of actions which allow you to generate it.
                            Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 09-02-2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Okay, Take #2!

I think I figured it out! How to use the Form Charm to capture the spirit of the Style I want to make.

This is so much better than any of my previous attempts to "generate momentum" with a Charm.

Unstoppable Pendulum Dance Form - The martial artist begins a ponderous and delicate dance, harnessing the centrifugal forces of her circular motions to turn her hammer's great weight into terrible speed.
                              6m; Simple; One Scene; Form, Mastery, Terrestrial; Martial Arts 4, Essence 1; ???

This Charm allows the martial artist to enjoy the Momentum condition, which she gains automatically upon assuming the Form.

While enjoying this condition, the martial artist's Initiative is effectively increased by 2 for the purposes of determining when she acts in the next round and how much decisive damage she can roll, and also allows her to make a smashing attack without spending Initiative or incurring the Defense Penalty.

She will instantly lose the Momentum if she resets to base initiative, if she is successfully damaged by a withering or decisive attack, if she falls prone or becomes grappled or is otherwise rendered incapable of taking movement actions, or if she is no longer holding a two-handed hammer. Otherwise she will lose it at the end of her next turn.

In order to extend the duration of her Momentum by another turn, or to regain Momentum after losing it, she must perform one of the following actions: Taking a Full Defense action or an Aim action (which can only benefit a style attack on your next turn); attempting a smash attack, a dance-based Performance action, or a movement action to move into a different range band; or succeeding on a rise from prone action. If she chooses to flurry one of these actions with any other physical action, the last action she resolves in a turn must be one of the listed actions.

She cannot generate Spin while suffering from Initiative Crash, while prone or grappled or otherwise incapable of taking movement actions, or while deprived of a style weapon.

Terrestrial: The Momentum condition only reduces the Initiative cost of smashing attacks by 1.

Mastery: The Momentum condition instead effectively increases the Solar's Initiative by 3.

Special activation rules: The martial artist may reflexively assume this Form after attempting a smash attack, which may generate the Momentum condition and waive the Defense penalty, but not the Initiative cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X