Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Razor Wire Gloves - artifact or martial art?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razor Wire Gloves - artifact or martial art?

Anyone ever watched Hellsing's Walter Dorneaz, or any other anime character fight with gloves trailing unbreakable, razor-sharp mono-filament wires that cut through anything they can loop around, and loop around anything without regard for physics?

Some character like him was surely the inspiration for Charcoal March of Spider Style's Rain of Unseen Threads and Nest of Living Strands Charms.

I propose that these could be starmetal artifact gloves which, as an attunement bonus, can be used as a razor-wire garrote. Its Evocations would basically be Rain of Unseen Threads and Nest of Living Strands, only cut apart into multiple, not-overpowered Charms. Including one for feats of destruction against the environment (cutting apart rafters, pillars, and trees).

If Charcoal March of Spiders still keeps those Charms, then the gloves' master would find them easier to use with the gloves.

Other Evocations might let the master use clinched or incapacitated enemies into human puppets to turn against their allies. Which Walter also did, but which Charcoal March of Spiders never quite allowed. Maybe using the gloves with Throne Shadow Style would help you direct the actions of your shadow-fingers similar to how that one old Sand Kunoichi helped Sakura fight Sasori?

Using the wires for practical telekinesis might let you make Melee at a range... and at a greater range, for Thrown weapons. Touhou Project's Alice Margatroid loves fighting people with dolls armed with live blades.

Unless you think that turning a garrote into magically improbable witch-floss is better for a whole Martial Arts Style than a specific pair of gloves?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

I think that Walter's gloves and wires would be best done as an artefact, as you said. I've been mulling over a 'Spider Style' for a while, basically being a 'spy style' that uses essence-imbued threads, but it's much more centred around A) binding opponents, B) setting traps with thread C) using threads for mobility (e.g. grapples, running along threads far above the ground etc) and D) using threads as spying tools (e.g. running a thread near someone you want to eavesdrop on and listening to the vibrations).

Another possible source for inspiration for wire-fighting styles or charms could be Yura of the Demon Hair, from one of the early episodes (I think it's about the 5th?) if the anime Inuyasha.

Comment

* Garrote on demand
      * Grapple at a distance
      * Restrain and cause damage with distant grapple
      * Pull self to enemy or self to enemy
      * Snare rafters and stuff to climb or swing around
      * Disarm at a distance, potentially destroying a mundane weapon
      * Clash attack against projectiles
      * Pick stuff up and move it around
      * Attack with stuff you’ve picked up
      * Manipulate a corpse to use your Abilities, including any Martial Arts you know
      * Manipulate a cooperating minion
      * Manipulate a restrained grappling victim

That sounds like a lot for an Artifact, but plenty for a Spider Style Martial Art Style.

Comment

Our White Veil Style Night Caste has a Statmetal & Moonsilver Artifact partially based on Walters Razor Wire Gloves; though we took it off in another direction to allow for the control and puppeteering of targets.

If I get the chance I'll pull it up.

Blasphemy? No, it is not blasphemy. If God is as vast as that, he is above blasphemy; if He is as little as that, He is beneath it.
        - Mark Twain, a Biography

Comment

First Pre-Form: When stunting the use of magically extended wires for the purpose of climbing or swinging from things, convert stunt dice to successes on movement actions or attacks made while swinging

Second Pre-Form: Perform gambits against targets at short range

Form: Use wires to manipulate objects at short range for actions and attacks, including clashes with manipulated objects

Post Form a1: Clash projectiles better

Post Form a2: Feats of Destruction

Post Form b3: extend range

Post Form b4: grasp multiple objects with wires

Post Form c5: act through ally

Post Form c6: puppet corpse (like the effects of the Form Charm, but enemies have to disengage from the corpse like they don’t have to against a wire-controlled sword)

Pinnacle: Control restrained enemy

Comment

Damn. I forgot Nest of Living Strands. That’s at least another Charm or two for the Style.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
              First Pre-Form: When stunting the use of magically extended wires for the purpose of climbing or swinging from things, convert stunt dice to successes on movement actions or attacks made while swinging

Second Pre-Form: Perform gambits against targets at short range

Form: Use wires to manipulate objects at short range for actions and attacks, including clashes with manipulated objects

Post Form a1: Clash projectiles better

Post Form a2: Feats of Destruction

Post Form b3: extend range

Post Form b4: grasp multiple objects with wires

Post Form c5: act through ally

Post Form c6: puppet corpse (like the effects of the Form Charm, but enemies have to disengage from the corpse like they don’t have to against a wire-controlled sword)

Pinnacle: Control restrained enemy

Reminds me of my Emerald Wasp style with those Pinnacles. Let me know how it goes! I think it could be terrifying and cool.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

If it were an Exigent you could keep iterating new stuff indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                  Chosen of Strings, Exigent of Stone Free, the god of threads: Jolyne Cujoh.

JoJo.

Comment

Originally posted by Janissary87 View Post
                    Our White Veil Style Night Caste has a Statmetal & Moonsilver Artifact partially based on Walters Razor Wire Gloves; though we took it off in another direction to allow for the control and puppeteering of targets.

If I get the chance I'll pull it up.

I really would like to read about it, as though I would like to see the mechanics of the gloves of Sunder the Gold

Comment

Long ago I made an artifact called Web of Silent Release based on the same inspiration. Back then, it was pretty much long ranged Razor Claws with Artful Maiming Onslaught built in. It would be fun to revisit with Evocations.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge

Comment

I’m thinking Nest of Living Strands could actually be a pre-form Charm if you reduce its power enough.

At first, the Charm requires the user to prepare the trap before combat begins, and its primary effect is to wither an opponent’s Initiative to build the martial artist up for those ranged gambits.

The movement enhancing Charm could be post-form, considering how it might build upon ranges grapples to pull victims closer, or into the air (with leverage), or pull you closer to them.

Other Charms in the Style, auto-upgrades, and Mastery effects can make Nest of Living Strands something quicker and more impressive to use.

Comment

The puppeteering Charm offers a lot of fun potential.

You could just use any corpse you find (or produce), or you could use a literal manikin that you keep around for just such a purpose.

You could make artifact manikins loaded with hidden weapons, like Gaara’s brother and Sasori. Each one represented by an Evocation.

You could have a replacement Evocation to trade places with your puppet.

These puppets could have Evocations that assist your efforts to disguise them to look like you, or other people. Use the Solar ventriloquism Charm to make it seem like you’re speaking through it.

Another Evocation would work like a less “bullshit” form of Dual Magnus Prana. If one has used sufficient Awareness magic previously in the scene, then you can reveal “you” were your puppet the entire time, while the real you was hidden safely around the corner. (This also requires that you had a sufficient hiding place that no one checked previously in the scene.)

You could also say “fuck subtlety” and build an artifact puppet as big as a warstrider, and control it like Giant Robo, only with puppet strings instead of a radio watch. Alice Margatroid’s “Goliath Doll”.

Comment

I don’t think Puppeteer Spider Style would need a venom Charm to complete its concept or strategy, but it would definitely be a tool used more often than puppets.

The more penalties a target suffers, the easier they are to surprise, ensnare, and control.

Of course, those Sand Ninja puppeteers loved their poisons, and their puppets had Evocations for poison gas, poison needles, poison blades...

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                              The point at which this exigent starts snaring the threads of the loom of fate with their fingers is the moment the Sidereals come to put them to rest.

...Side note: Pattern Spider exigent

Comment

Working...
                              X