Caul-ing for help: Solars in the Caul

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caul-ing for help: Solars in the Caul

My players have decided that the best way to destroy the guild and conquer Lookshy is to go to the Caul, and help/recruit a lunar/beastman army. What do I do now @_@? Do we know anything about the Caul? and would Feng-Yi open for a Solar pilgrimage, or just Lunars and DBs?

If you don't like that idea much, help establish the sheer distance that place is. That is thousands and thousands of miles away. You could easily have them stumble into 3-4 lunar groups while trying to get down to the coast, and fight half the realm beforecthey even make it out West.

If you like the idea, i would have them deal with being cast in the role of kingmakers rather than kings for this. They choose a lunar to support and get them through the pilgrimage. Maybe a rival or subordiante of the Black Lion unless you want to give them an easier win with how the Black Lion is currently described
    Last edited by Cryo-Seraph; 07-08-2018, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I'd just like to remind y'all of the sheer distance between Lookshy and the Caul; would a more local source of aid not be more preferable?

Comment

Local Lunars are much more likely to help the Solars destroy local rivals than the Caul Lunars are likely to care about whatever is going on so far away from the Caul.

Why would I go to Australia for help with a problem in Texas when I can go to another city in Texas to find people much more predisposed to care about Texan problems?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
          Why would I go to Australia for help with a problem in Texas when I can go to another city in Texas to find people much more predisposed to care about Texan problems?
          Especially in a pre-industrial, pre-Internet society.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweedbarista View Post
            Do we know anything about the Caul?
            Besides the Kickstarter preview? Not much. And even when it gets its full chapter, I have a feeling that a lot of what it might contain is left to the imagination of the Storyteller.

For the time being, I think a particularly worthwhile purpose that the Caul might serve is being a location where the game has fiat to introduce a wide variety of particularly odd magic without needing to deal with a question of how it might have impacted the setting by saying that it hasn't (by virtue of things like being hemmed in by the Realm and the ocean, and the island having disappeared for centuries).

Originally posted by Tweedbarista
            would Feng-Yi open for a Solar pilgrimage, or just Lunars and DBs?
            I think that the importance that Feng-Yi holds to those two would be diminished by extending it to Solars. Instead, I think it's worth approaching from the direction of the pilgrimage being a thing that emerges from the island's power (hence, having alternative forms hidden away in the wilderness), rather than being the crux of it.

As for the distance... this is an instance where I'm seeing certain realistic considerations bowing down to be a stepping stone for pulp and mythic exaggeration. It's Portuguese sailors trying to find Prester John because they think he'll be a vital ally against the Islamic world in the east. I'm having a picture of somebody finding the local powers incapable or untrustworthy enough to prefer journeying halfway around the world to recruit forces that they think are more up to the task; like if European invasion of the Americas was predicated on an Aztec rebel making a lone voyage to cross the Atlantic and bring some conquistadors home.

Not especially likely, but I think that some grandeur can effectively override that sometimes and produce a compelling result.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

On that subject, is anyone else unhappy that we might not get a concrete, known benefit for Lunar Exalted who complete the pilgrimage while controlling all five shrine cities?

I know it's hard to think of something of worth analogous to a Dragon-Blood's next child being guaranteed to Exalt, but that doesn't seem like an excuse to not try.

Comment

On that subject, is anyone else unhappy that we might not get a concrete, known benefit for Lunar Exalted who complete the pilgrimage while controlling all five shrine cities?

I know it's hard to think of something of worth analogous to a Dragon-Blood's next child being guaranteed to Exalt, but that doesn't seem like an excuse to not try.
                No I agree its kind of annoying. Right now the Caul feels like a really cool Dragonblooded setting that happens to use Lunars as a enemy incidentally. Really hoping fangs at the gate expands on why you would actually want to play a lunar on the Caul as opposed to somewhere else in Creation.

Comment

Lunars: Fangs at the Gate will have a section covering the Caul from the Lunar perspective.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

With Wyld Taint taken out behind the shed and shot, and with the Lost Castes being deliberately discarded by the Lunar Exalted, the most obvious options for the pilgrimage’s reward don’t exist.

Dragon-Blooded get to make a whole other Exalt. That’s amazing. It’s powerful without directly empowering a Terrestrial.

A Lunar cannot give birth to a new Lunar Exaltation. A Lunar should not be able to mark his or her next child for Lunar Exaltation.

I can’t bring myself to like the idea of the Lunar securing a Terrestrial Exaltation for her next child, either.

Ensuring that one’s child will be a powerful Moontouched seems weak.

Comment

I think it's either got to be something massively different, or that the benefit is that they stop the Dragonblood doing it. Which is something.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

With Wyld Taint taken out behind the shed and shot, and with the Lost Castes being deliberately discarded by the Lunar Exalted, the most obvious options for the pilgrimage’s reward don’t exist.

Dragon-Blooded get to make a whole other Exalt. That’s amazing. It’s powerful without directly empowering a Terrestrial.

A Lunar cannot give birth to a new Lunar Exaltation. A Lunar should not be able to mark his or her next child for Lunar Exaltation.

I can’t bring myself to like the idea of the Lunar securing a Terrestrial Exaltation for her next child, either.

Ensuring that one’s child will be a powerful Moontouched seems weak.
                        You're doing it again; that thing where you alternately assume the worst, and act with unprovoked and unwarranted hostility towards somebody that was on the same side as you.

I mean Jesus Christ, person; you express a hope that the books won't leave the Lunar side of it un-fleshed out, one of the developers comes in to say that the Lunars book will cover their side of it, and then you leap to, what, doomsaying? Betting that the result will suck?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          the benefit is that they stop the Dragonblood doing it. Which is something.
                          It is something, but it's not a thing that warrants an idea that the Caul's shrines become actively attuned to Lunar Essence, rather than simply being denied to the Dragon Blooded. Nor does it really make sense with a backstory in which Luna has an association with the place that makes it sacred to Lunars.

Given the way that the place is built up, it has to have an importance to Lunars when they're not in conflict with major Dragon Blooded powers.

Comment

Yeah, after writing that, I thought about it a bit more, and I think that would be uninspiring and un...spiritual? Unreligious rather.

The whole point of having shrines for a crusade over is that they're of great significance to both sides.

Shrines make me overtly think of something religious (such as more easily praying to Luna or her under-spirits), but I'm not sure that works very well either. A blessing from Luna seems obvious, but what?
                            It probably needs to be something inherent to Lunars, but as Sunder said, there's not a lot of obvious issues.

Perhaps something about Heart's Blood? Or raising their essence easier? A feeling of union with the essence of Luna? It doesn't necessarily have to be mechanical, though if not, it may not seem significant to Lunar players the way having DB kids is obviously significant to DB players.

I'm not sure, anyone who has ideas feel free to share.
                            Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 07-09-2018, 11:43 AM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I'd like to think the nature of the blessing might differ based on the Lunar who completes the pilgrimage; one might get a new suite of forms, those of animals long lost to the mists of history, while another might achieve some other unique benefit.

Comment

Working...
                              X