Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alchemicals and 3E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Fitter Happier View Post
    Another example: Autochthonians have sophisticated electronics such as fiber optic cable... that they harvest from wild animals like wool (well, wild elementals, but still).
    I think you might be conflating some things; the only reference that I can recall to something being harvested from elementals like wool was the Autochthonians' wool.

    Actually, I think it might have been cotton. Some textile for the sake of making clothes and handkerchiefs.

    Originally posted by Fitter Happier
    They use refined hydrocarbons... that are harvested from whales (well, whale-refineries).
    Is this distinct from real life in the sense that the hydrocarbons they get are supposed to come already refined, or is there somewhere in the world widely using synthetic hydrocarbons?


    I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

    Comment


    • #92
      I think an Autobot zone where the residents mine away junk to expose the naturally occurring factory formations would be a fascinating location for a Chronicle to visit.


      Check out Momentum Exalted!

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
        I think an Autobot zone where the residents mine away junk to expose the naturally occurring factory formations would be a fascinating location for a Chronicle to visit.
        I love this! Populat workers with power drills, tearing up twisted sheets of metal decking to access the buried manufactory. A Jade Caste Alchemical sockets herself into the facility's power core and it clanks to life, furnaces glowing dull red, then bright orange, then white. The Populat begin to feed the torn-up decking into wide-mouthed hoppers, while others rush to the assembly lines as molten metal bubbles over and flows to fill the waiting casts. The chant of work-prayers and the thunder of industry combine in a song pleasing to the Machine-God.

        Comment


        • #94
          I'm kind of with Fitter with regard views on Autochthonian technology.
          That's where I was going with the Industrial Elementals, make them a fact of day to day life rather than a bestiary of summonable creatures unique to the Alchemical Exalted that's never going to be adequately fleshed out. For example, what if a unit of elite mortals instead of having special artifact armour were more likely to be partnered with elementals that bonded with human host and offered defensive benefits like Perronele or Sesselja? You have the aesthetic of advanced technology but the reality is more of a symbiosis.


          Assorted homebrew goes here.
          Please help the Ex3 wiki grow. Even if it's just posting existing homebrew there so there's less chance of losing it.

          Comment


          • #95
            I love Autochthonia and Alchemicals but I wish there was a way to include those elements without it invariably dictating the direction of the game. It's interesting because Conan the Barbarian can meet an alien and Elric of Melniboné can travel to other worlds without fundimentally changing their stories while first contact with Autochthonia tends to feel like a point of no return.

            Has anyone encountered a way to avoid this?
            Is the problem specific elements of Autochthonia or a cotroversial introductory scenario that they've not completely evolved past?


            Simple Exigent Guidelines, a work in progress

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by The Hug Ninja View Post
              I love Autochthonia and Alchemicals but I wish there was a way to include those elements without it invariably dictating the direction of the game. It's interesting because Conan the Barbarian can meet an alien and Elric of Melniboné can travel to other worlds without fundimentally changing their stories while first contact with Autochthonia tends to feel like a point of no return.

              Has anyone encountered a way to avoid this?
              Is the problem specific elements of Autochthonia or a cotroversial introductory scenario that they've not completely evolved past?
              I propose developing a scenario in which access to Creation is limited in scope and availability, so they can only initially get in small expeditionary forces that ought to have specific objectives.


              I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

              Comment


              • #97
                For instance, the 'portal' Creation-Autochtonia could be:

                - An 'artifact' portal developed autochton-side independently by a small think-tank of researchers, being (as of now) prohibitively expensive to use in large-scale. They should have their own reasons for not giving this information to one of the Nations, be it fear of being called heretics, or political, or even personal reasons. Perhaps they are from a lost colony somewhere completely inhospitable and isolated, the portal is a way for survival and this type of portal just won't work anywhere else?
                - An 'artifact' portal developed creation-side, an ancient backdoor portal could be left behind in an abondoned workshop of a True Genius (be it solar, authochton's himself or something else altogether - perhaps the Mountain Folk have being given this charge?).
                - It could be a celestial level spell or protocol, rare and just developed (solar circle if you would want only solars). Of course, it wouldn't be able to allow too many people at once. Perhaps you'd also need something from the other side for it to work, restricting even more the access (at first).

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by pcontop View Post
                  For instance, the 'portal' Creation-Autochtonia could be:

                  - An 'artifact' portal developed autochton-side independently by a small think-tank of researchers, being (as of now) prohibitively expensive to use in large-scale. They should have their own reasons for not giving this information to one of the Nations, be it fear of being called heretics, or political, or even personal reasons. Perhaps they are from a lost colony somewhere completely inhospitable and isolated, the portal is a way for survival and this type of portal just won't work anywhere else?
                  - An 'artifact' portal developed creation-side, an ancient backdoor portal could be left behind in an abondoned workshop of a True Genius (be it solar, authochton's himself or something else altogether - perhaps the Mountain Folk have being given this charge?).
                  - It could be a celestial level spell or protocol, rare and just developed (solar circle if you would want only solars). Of course, it wouldn't be able to allow too many people at once. Perhaps you'd also need something from the other side for it to work, restricting even more the access (at first).
                  Or maybe the experimental Elsewhere Gate exploded. https://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0133.html


                  ....

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Anyone watch the anime, Cells at Work?


                    Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                    My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                      Anyone watch the anime, Cells at Work?
                      I've heard of it, but it sounded like an anime version of Osmosis Jones. What reminded you of Alchemicals?



                      Masters of the Industrial Elements
                      Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
                      Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
                      The Underworld (3rd Edition)
                      ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Kyeudo View Post
                        I've heard of it, but it sounded like an anime version of Osmosis Jones. What reminded you of Alchemicals?
                        For one thing, the aesthetic is "industrial-urban" rather than "everything is made of flesh", which makes it much more compatible with Autochthonia's aesthetics.

                        All of the people are living in a world which is actually the body of a greater being vastly beyond their comprehension, serving vital roles in the biology of this massive entity which cannot distinguish or recognize them as individuals, and fighting off and exterminating things which invade their word and subvert their own kind against them, as well as sometimes their own kind simply going crazy and needing to be put down.


                        Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                        My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                          For one thing, the aesthetic is "industrial-urban" rather than "everything is made of flesh", which makes it much more compatible with Autochthonia's aesthetics.

                          All of the people are living in a world which is actually the body of a greater being vastly beyond their comprehension, serving vital roles in the biology of this massive entity which cannot distinguish or recognize them as individuals, and fighting off and exterminating things which invade their word and subvert their own kind against them, as well as sometimes their own kind simply going crazy and needing to be put down.
                          I picked up on it too. Cells at Work strikes me as Alchemicals-the-Anime but dressed up for educational television.


                          Check out Momentum Exalted!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post

                            I picked up on it too. Cells at Work strikes me as Alchemicals-the-Anime but dressed up for educational television.
                            So far, the Macrophages seem to be the closest thing to Alchemical Exalted in terms of relative power, while the White Blood Cells and T Cells are mortal first responders.

                            The cell that uses Anti Bodies is a sorcerer, whether mortal or Alchemical.


                            Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                            My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

                              So far, the Macrophages seem to be the closest thing to Alchemical Exalted in terms of relative power, while the White Blood Cells and T Cells are mortal first responders.

                              The cell that uses Anti Bodies is a sorcerer, whether mortal or Alchemical.
                              Nice

                              I'd been imagining all the white blood cells and T-cells as taking an exalted role in the story, even if the relative values of population and power level would have to be adjusted to fit.


                              Check out Momentum Exalted!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post

                                Nice

                                I'd been imagining all the white blood cells and T-cells as taking an exalted role in the story, even if the relative values of population and power level would have to be adjusted to fit.
                                Maybe the Macrophages are the Colossi?

                                That's definitely the size difference in real life.



                                go here for full size: https://sunder-the-gold.tumblr.com/p...drawn-in-their

                                g
                                o here for original artist post: http://setzeri.tumblr.com/post/177487024477


                                Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                                My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X