No announcement yet.

Exalted coffee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still feels odd to refer to it in the singular.

In any case, it's almost certain that the history of the world is long enough for the plant (sufficiently commercially viable) to have spread far beyond its origin.

I do wonder if somebody could do something interesting with the idea that despite that, it's not as widespread as it used to be owing to, say, the start of the Realm era being a time in which environmental concerns and priorities on food might have caused a lot of traditional coffee crops to wither away, and the economics of intervening times have created a desire to restrict and control the sources.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Alternatively, coffee simply might not have been domesticated during the First Age. In our history, it only seems to date back to the 15th century C.E., and I think it's equally possible that in Creation, nobody happened across this useful plant until recently, and it's still spreading. Since that's what produces more interesting stories, in my opinion, I think that's the approach I'd take in my game, at least.

Comment

I don't know that there's any particular reason for coffee, or any other crop, to have had one particular origin point in Creation. The evolutionary forces that cause that to be true on Earth aren't necessarily relevant in Creation. Maybe any given crop was just a part of a Primordial way back when and was widespread at the creation of the world. Maybe a god made it up in a dozen different places all at once to give himself a dominion.

That said, coffee would probably grow easily anyplace in the southern 60% of Creation that isn't otherwise unsuitable (sand dunes, mountain peaks, etc.). It's a pretty hardy bean, and grows in warm climates all over Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
          In our history, it only seems to date back to the 15th century C.E., and I think it's equally possible that in Creation, nobody happened across this useful plant until recently, and it's still spreading.
          You bring up an interesting possibility. I've read things about coffee before, but overlooked or forgot the fact that the plant originated in a somewhat isolated mountainous area. I would find it plausible for such a spot to have been largely overlooked through most of the First Age, and even if it was found, not under circumstances in which somebody would think to brew it.

Idea: the coffee plant originates in the Caul.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Sundance View Post
            I don't know that there's any particular reason for coffee, or any other crop, to have had one particular origin point in Creation.
            My reason, at least, is that having an origin makes for more interesting stories that involve coffee. If coffee is already ubiquitous, there's no need to trade it long distances, no plots where someone tries to steal the secret of the plant and carry it home, no sudden new markets when you introduce it to a group that's never tried it before, and so on. You certainly can say that a god or some other supernatural being distributed coffee everywhere it could grow, but that actually makes things less interesting, so why would you?

Comment

Well, if you want a widespread coffee culture in the area that your game is covering, then saying that the plant is practically a weed in that area allows it to be ubiquitous and potentially for coffee snobbery about specific breeds or flavors or whatever to evolve. This might enable other stories you want.

Comment

My players have come up with legionnaire's coffee. You know i's ready to drink when the metal spoon you stirred it with has dissolved into the brew. Wakes you right up but the gastrointestinal damage takes one day off your life expectancy, one cup at a time

Comment

What sort of effects might coffee brewed by a Solar alchemist have? The Ex3 core doesn't seem to have much on potions, or alchemy for that matter, and making it a capital-A Artifact seems like going too far. I want it to make the drinker knurd (the opposite of drunk, a state beyond mere sobriety), but I'm not sure what that should look like.

Comment

Can we have Exalted Coffee so strong it would need to be stirred by a Soulsteel spoon?

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post
                      What sort of effects might coffee brewed by a Solar alchemist have?
                      There's room for amazing effects without going full artifact-crafting, I think. A lot of them could be summed up as "like coffee, but faster/better/nicer". So if a "normal" cup of coffee can keep you awake and energetic for two hours, a cup brewed by the Indomitable Chiaroscuro-Press Barista could keep you awake for 12 hours, and you won't get the shakes, either.

Originally posted by Hakkonen
                      I want it to make the drinker knurd (the opposite of drunk, a state beyond mere sobriety), but I'm not sure what that should look like.
                      Well, we know from the books that Samuel Vimes is permanently slightly knurd, and in his case it seems to manifest as being "the most cynical bastard who walks under the sun". So I'd treat becoming knurd as a social influence attempt to inspire emotion, specifically that of "cynicism". As usual with inspire attempts, someone can choose exactly how to handle that emotion, but it does count as a major intimacy, so it would be easier to convince someone, for instance, to give up their intimacy of "sincere respect for the Realm".

Comment

Um, do we need a seperate thread on Exalted Booze? Or is such unbelievably warped drinks under ths auspice?

Asking for a friend*

*That friend being the empty bottle 18 onches away

Comment

This needs to become an Exigency.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
                            This needs to become an Exigency.
                            Shaky Hands, Chosen of Stimulants?

Comment

Working...
                            X