No announcement yet.

What Animal Styles do you want to see?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of birds, do you think Rooster Style would be a good place for Muy Thai and kickboxing in general?

Roosters buffet opponents with their wings while kicking to slash with their spur-toes.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Would it be valid to hope for critter-fu from other planes of existence?

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
        Would it be valid to hope for critter-fu from other planes of existence?
        Stone Lion is inspired by either Tezadoji or Celestial Lions, so probably.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
          So the Solar Castes have animal nicknames. The Dawns are Bronze Tigers, the Zeniths are Golden Bulls, the Twilights are Copper Spiders, the Nights are Iron Wolves, and the Eclipses are Quicksilver Falcons. When Castebook Dawn came out, it had Tiger Style in it. "Oh," said us on the forums. "I bet that means we'll get a new animal style in each of the castebooks, corresponding to the animal nicknames of the castes!"

That didn't happen.

So my answer remains, eternally, Bull Style, Spider Style, Wolf Style, and Falcon Style. That's been my answer to this question since 2001, and that will be my answer forever.
          I remember this from along time ago. I also concur. Just for shits and giggles, I'd like a Vulture Style.

Comment

As much as I love big muscle animals like Bulls, Bison, and Bears, I don't see too much there that would be really unique. Charging and knockback are probably it.

Spider Style (NOT CMoS) would be interesting. Poisons, Lockdown, Immobility, Paralysis, action penalties, health drain... it would be an interesting direction we haven't gone in yet. Especially if we include sashes and whips (and good old Razor Floss) as style weapons.

A style based on a raptor (as in, bird of prey) like the Hawk or Falcon or Eagle, with an emphasis on high jumps and downward kicks would be cool. You know what I'd really love to see though? I've always had a little fascination with the Phoenix.

I want to fight like this or like this. High flying, burning flame, some means of recovery, and just the awe-inspiring majesty of being the Bird of Flame. When Exigents drops I'm going to make an Exigent of the Phoenix. (probably I'll crib some DB Fire charms and Solar Presence)

Edit: posted too soon.

I'd like a few "mythic" or "Fantastic" animal styles to come out. Phoenix, Behemoth, Thunderbird, Dune Wyrm, etc.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Bull and Bison Styles seem like an interesting story starter, for two closely related but competing schools battling for dominance.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Having watched enough of The Five Venoms, I'm more enthusiastic about a Toad Style.

I don't know how the storyteller system would (or if it should) handle the "secret weak-spot" thing, and one will need of how to differentiate Toad's toughness from Earth Dragon's and figure out how the possible combination of the two would play out...

But the Toad Style in the movie seems to have some interesting ground for "counterattack after an attack utterly fails to harm you". Sometimes just by flexing your rock-hard muscles, but other times by actually striking at them after their momentum is stopped cold by your toughness.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                  Toad, Spider, Lizard, as I want to just have a Five Deadly Venoms set.
                  ""The toad style is immensely strong and immune to nearly any weapon. When it's properly used, it's almost invincible."

And it's scorpion, not spider (assuming you're referencing Chang Cheh based on how you capitalized things)

Was there a centipede style somewhere that I missed? The only style of the venom mob in Exalted I can think of is Snake.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post

""The toad style is immensely strong and immune to nearly any weapon. When it's properly used, it's almost invincible."

And it's scorpion, not spider (assuming you're referencing Chang Cheh based on how you capitalized things)

Was there a centipede style somewhere that I missed? The only style of the venom mob in Exalted I can think of is Snake.
                    Centipede is coming with Lunars

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Monkey, Mantis and Eagle to round out Snake, Tiger and Crane. And for each animal style, a non-animal style.

Incidentally can I repeat the oft-said litany that I love how Celestial and Terrestrial styles are no longer a thing? Totally rules.

Comment

We already got Mantis in the Dragon-Blooded book, Monkey Style won’t be printed in Lunars, and we’re getting Falcon rather than Eagle Style.

I wonder if Falcon might allow the use of improvised objects and hammers. If it’s supposed to be luchadore and professional wrestling, then such weapons fit the sorts of “cheats” that heels use against faces, right?

Comment

I'm always in favour of more martial arts that use improvised weapons, if only for the stunt fodder.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I could stand to see a bear style, big brawly grapples, heavy focus on strength and stamina. Maybe make an extra focus on dealing damage in a clinch rather than using the throw option, or maybe make a special suplex throw. Form activation....maybe reflexive if you soak an attack down to below (Stamina)? That sounds like it might be too easy but you could make the style incompatible with heavy or even Medium Armor, that way you can only get it by soaking with your awesome essence enhanced bear pelt skin.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I hope that Falcon Style can use two-handed hammers.

Real falcons kill by dive-punching their targets out of the sky and letting the fall do the rest of the work. A falling hammer blow works really well for emulating that.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

Centipede is coming with Lunars
                                Ooo, nice. That should be cool.

So we still need Scorpion, Toad, and Lizard. Granted, Solar Resistance is pretty much Toad, and Solar Athletics is pretty much Lizard insofar as they appear in the film.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge

Comment

Working...
                                X