Gauntlets of Distant Claws in 3e?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauntlets of Distant Claws in 3e?

So I'm rolling a night caste and I remember an awesome artifact from a 2e book called the Gauntlets of distant Claws. Basically they were a pair of retractable tiger claws that in addition to being easily concealed also could shoot the middle claw attached on a moonsilver chain to act as a grappling gun. The things made you wolverine, batman and spiderman all into one sweet package. Has anyone converted them to third edition? I figure they'd be artifact tiger claws with evocations, but I have no idea where to start making them mechanically balanced.

I have it on my list of things I want to do.

Its a long list.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
    Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

They have been around since first edition actually, they are also one of my favorites too. I have not seen them remade yet, and have made do with Frost Thorn Knuckles but no grappling hook power.

But best idea for a new build would be using Frost Thorn as a base (razor claws with a ranged attack), but get atheltics moves instead of freezing opponents

Comment

Heres my take on a way to write them up:

Gauntlets of Distant Claws
        Moonsilver Tiger Claws ***
        Evocations
        When attuned, the wielder may attack out to medium range as a thrown weapon, as the claws burst out before being pulled back by a moonsilver chain. Additionally, she awakens Weapons Bear Wielder at no cost.

Weapons Bear Wielder
        Cost: 3m; Mins:Essence 1
        Type: Supplemental
        Keywords: Resonant
        Duration: Instant
        Prerequisites:
        The claws of the gauntlet shoot out and dig into a hard surface, allowing the retracting chains to pull the wielder towards them.
        This supplements a movement action, allowing the wielder to travel one range band over a gap or up a sheer wall. This may only be used if there is a point where the wielder desires to move suitable for attaching the claws.
        Resonant: If a resonant wielder knows Monkey Leap Technique or a similarly redundant charm, this charm also rerolls 1s on any movement action it supplements.

Pulled by Hatred
        Keywords: Resonant, Uniform
        Prerequisites: Weapons Bear Wielder
        As the chain pulls in from a successful attack, the wielders allows themselves to be dragged forward towards their enemy. This supplements an attack with the Thrown ability against a foe at short range. If it hits, the wielder immediately moves into close range with them.
        Resonant: This can be used at medium range.

Flying Charge Technique
        Cost: 7m; Mins:Essence 2
        Keywords: Dissonant, Dual
        As they fly towards an enemy, the wielder lands a massive blow, transferring the full force of their movement to their target. This supplements an attack made after moving at least one range band, into close range with the target of the attack, using an evocation of the Gauntlet, most commonly Weapons Bear Wielder. The attack is supplemented as if by the Smashing tag with no cost, and deals +(Strength) bonus damage if withering or +(Essence) bonus damage if decisive.
        An Essence 3 Repurchase allows this to be used as a reflexive charm creating an withering or decisive attack supplemented by this charm after entering close range of an enemy using an evocation of the Gauntlet for a 1 wp surcharge.
        Dissonant: This adds (lower of Strength and Essence) withering damage and +1 decisive damage.

Enemy-Dragging Chains
        Cost: 3m, 1wp; Mins:Essence 2
        Type: Simple
        Keywords:
        The claws reach out and grip an enemy, the recoiling chains bringing him to the wielder. This creates a grapple gambit using Thrown for the attack roll and (Strength+Thrown) for the control roll out to short range. If successful, the target is dragged into close range with the wielder.

Crater-Forming Toss
        Cost: 3m, 3i;Mins:Essence 3
        Type: Reflexive
        Keywords: Resonant, Dissonant
        Prerequisites: Enemy-Dragging Chains or Flying Charge Technique
        The gauntlet does not content itself with moving its foes according to whim, but compounds insult with injury. Activate this charm after another evocation of the Gauntlet moves an enemy at least one range band. They take falling damage as if falling from short range. They may roll (Dexterity+Athletics) at a difficulty of (Thrown) to avoid this damage.
        Resonant: Increase the difficulty to (Thrown+Essence)
        Dissonant: The difficulty of the roll is (Lower of Essence or Thrown)

Enemy-Tossing Wrath
        Cost: 6m, 1wp;Mins:Essence 3
        Keywords: Resonant, Dissonant, Dual
        Prerequisites: Enemy-Dragging Chains
        The Gauntlet rages, tossing a captured foe to and fro as it seeks to destroy them. This may be used against a grappled enemy, creating (lower of Strength, Dexterity and Stamina) attacks similar to those from a throw/slam action. Each may be either Withering or Decisive. Divide remaining rounds of control between attacks as you choose. At the end of the flurry, the enemy is released.
        Resonant: You may make up to (Strength) attacks.
        Dissonant: You may gain at most (Essence) initiative from each withering attack.
        (Note - I had the idea for a grapple throw-flurry charm, but wasn't sure how to enact it. When you auto-hit multiple decisive attacks doesn't have much mechanical meaning, but I have no idea how to balance the current form. It's sort of similar to titan-straightening method?)
        Last edited by autXautY; 07-22-2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by autXautY View Post
          Heres my take on a way to write them up:

Gauntlets of Distant Claws
          Moonsilver Tiger Claws ***
          Evocations
          When attuned, the wielder may attack out to medium range as a thrown weapon, as the claws burst out before being pulled back by a moonsilver chain. Additionally, she awakens Weapons Bear Wielder at no cost.

Weapons Bear Wielder
          Keywords: Resonant
          Prerequisites:
          The claws of the gauntlet shoot out and dig into a hard surface, allowing the retracting chains to pull the wielder towards them.
          This supplements a movement action, allowing the wielder to travel one range band over a gap or up a sheer wall. This may only be used if there is a point where the wielder desires to move suitable for attaching the claws.
          Resonant: If a resonant wielder knows Monkey Leap Technique or a similarly redundant charm, this charm also rerolls 1s on any movement action it supplements.

Pulled by Hatred
          Keywords: Resonant, Uniform
          As the chain pulls in from a successful attack, the wielders allows themselves to be dragged forward towards their enemy. This supplements an attack with the Thrown ability against a foe at short range. If it hits, the wielder immediately moves into close range with them.
          Resonant: This can be used at medium range.

Flying Charge Technique
          Cost: 7m; Mins:Essence 2
          Keywords: Dissonant, Dual
          As they fly towards an enemy, the wielder lands a massive blow, transferring the full force of their movement to their target. This supplements an attack made after moving at least one range band, into close range with the target of the attack, using an evocation of the Gauntlet, most commonly Weapons Bear Wielder. The attack is supplemented as if by the Smashing tag with no cost, and deals +(Strength) bonus damage if withering or +(Essence) bonus damage if decisive.
          An Essence 3 Repurchase allows this to be used as a reflexive charm creating an withering or decisive attack supplemented by this charm after entering close range of an enemy using an evocation of the Gauntlet for a 1 wp surcharge.
          Dissonant: This adds (lower of Strength and Essence) withering damage and +1 decisive damage.

Enemy-Dragging Chains
          Cost: 3m, 1wp; Mins:Essence 2
          Keywords:
          The claws reach out and grip an enemy, the recoiling chains bringing him to the wielder. This creates a grapple gambit using Thrown for the attack roll and (Strength+Thrown) for the control roll out to short range. If successful, the target is dragged into close range with the wielder.

Crater-Forming Toss
          Cost: 3m, 3i;Mins:Essence 3
          Type: Reflexive
          Keywords: Resonant, Dissonant
          Prerequisites: Enemy-Dragging Chains or Flying Charge Technique
          The gauntlet does not content itself with moving its foes according to whim, but compounds insult with injury. Activate this charm after another evocation of the Gauntlet moves an enemy at least one range band. They take falling damage as if falling from short range. They may roll (Dexterity+Athletics) at a difficulty of (Thrown) to avoid this damage.
          Resonant: Increase the difficulty to (Thrown+Essence)
          Dissonant: The difficulty of the roll is (Lower of Essence or Thrown)

Enemy-Tossing Wrath
          Cost: 6m, 1wp;Mins:Essence 3
          Keywords: Resonant, Dissonant, Dual
          Prerequisites: Enemy-Dragging Chains
          The Gauntlet rages, tossing a captured foe to and fro as it seeks to destroy them. This may be used against a grappled enemy, creating (lower of Strength, Dexterity and Stamina) attacks similar to those from a throw/slam action. Each may be either Withering or Decisive. Divide remaining rounds of control between attacks as you choose. At the end of the flurry, the enemy is released.
          Resonant: You may make up to (Strength) attacks.
          Dissonant: You may gain at most (Essence) initiative from each withering attack.
          (Note - I had the idea for a grapple throw-flurry charm, but wasn't sure how to enact it. When you auto-hit multiple decisive attacks doesn't have much mechanical meaning, but I have no idea how to balance the current form. It's sort of similar to titan-straightening method?)
          Thanks so much for this man! It's a great start for what I want them to do. I would also add something like "The mote cost to use Weapons Bear Wielder is waived if the gauntlets have a heartstone socketed".

Enemy-Tossing Wrath seems fine, but you could also look at Crashing Wave Throw and Shockwave Technique in Brawl.

Other cool evocations might be a charm that breaks mundane weapons like

Comment

Working...
          X