No announcement yet.

Fate errors for non-creation visitors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fate errors for non-creation visitors?

One thing I've always had issues with is the notion of fate errors

I love the concept - that reality slowly unravels and falls apart when something not part of Creation's reality comes and interferes with things - but for the love of it I just find coming up with actual examples of it rather tricky

The few I usually end up thinking on is stuff like water suddenly not being wet, or water not 'reforming' after a fair folk courtier stepped in a puddle.

I just need some more examples. my players have mind-controlled a fair folk cataphract to be their pet/minion - and they've had it for months, feeding it essence so it doesn't have to 'eat' people... but I need to show the fate errors it's causing

plz chime in with other ideas for fate errors

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

I've always liked the idea of lowering the setting detail to show fate errors. Couple of comments about how boulders become completely spherical, roads become straight lines. Fields become just one type of plant. Small details just plain dissapear. Then anyone wholly of Creation doesn't notice that.

If it gets really bad fate becomes 8bit! Got to lower the Graphics so creation doesn't crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Jam in a jar View Post
      I've always liked the idea of lowering the setting detail to show fate errors. Couple of comments about how boulders become completely spherical, roads become straight lines. Fields become just one type of plant. Small details just plain dissapear. Then anyone wholly of Creation doesn't notice that.

If it gets really bad fate becomes 8bit! Got to lower the Graphics so creation doesn't crash.

oh I like that idea

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Ooh, to follow up on that theme, you could have a glitch and a huge area messes up on colors or sounds (the bubbling brook sounds scratchy, or a chunk of desert suddenly going pink) Something could come by and cause a clipping issue, so suddenly this tree has a random animal leg sticking out of it.

Ooh, or a fate error hits a person and they gain Hideous as the face goes inside out

Comment

A river and a waterfall that runs backwards would be amusing and subtle. Though if you wanted obvious that this was recent you can have some sort of fish migration including fish getting launched up the waterfall and smacking into the birds that normally try to swipe them during the travel.

Lag burst would be amusing. Not like the annoying things don't happen, just have incidents where the people you're speaking to are talking like they're out of sync.

Comment

Tinkered loads with such stuff. For high-powered stuff i use the "Fate FailuresTable" from 1e Sidereals mixed with shenanigans based in sidereal charms or astrological effects.

But have also toyed with loads of more low-key or mostly inoffensive effects. Here a few examples:

- A spot in a river or lake where the ice does not thaw, leaving an always frozen unmoving block of ice in that place. To boot, if you get some water over the block, it will freeze after some time as if it were in the middle of winter, but will warm up and melt normally if taken somewhere else.

- If someone sleeps under a certain tree and is hit by a fruit, the person's hair changes color, or she gets a sudden surge of inspiration/obsession. Some say the fruit doesn't have to fall naturally. a few even say it doesn't even have to come from the tree, throwing some other fruit will work. But the target must be really naturally asleep. Eating from this same fruit will permanently stain the lips of the person.

- Salt mined from a certain mountain or beach causes an effect similar to drunkedness, or sobriety in the already drunk. Also makes that person visible in the Underworld, though as if surrounded by flames.

- Bronze forged with sunlight and lenses of glass made from sand of the beach above turn into gold of a peculiar slight white-green hue.

- During a certain hour of the day, the shadow of a person with eyes of two different colors will imitate not only its movement but also voice and words in echo.
            Last edited by Baaldam; 07-23-2018, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
              - If someone sleeps under a certain tree and is hit by a fruit, the person's hair changes color, or she gets a sudden surge of inspiration/obsession. Some say the fruit doesn't have to fall naturally. a few even say it doesn't even have to come from the tree, throwing some other fruit will work. But the target must be really naturally asleep. Eating from this same fruit will permanently stain the lips of the person.
              That would be so much fun as an exploitable business. Plus you get to hit people with random fruits.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                That would be so much fun as an exploitable business. Plus you get to hit people with random fruits.
                Yes, a major point of some of these more subdued fate glitches was in the potential for exploitations or complications that comes from contact and or awareness of them.

Comment

Examples: (Obvious)
                  Natural phenomena get weird: Shadows don't disappear/have their shape altered by a light-source. Natural phenomena are emphasized. A metal object gets wet and rusting all out of proportion to the time it's been wet occurs, wood warps for similar reasons. Flammable objects illuminated by a light-source combust (the document on the desk is in the lamp-light, whoosh).

Probability irregularities. A nearby group of gamblers puzzled by the unbelievable number of snake-eyes being rolled, accusations of loaded dice tossed at the dice-owner. Local fortune-tellers/soothsayers experience a unified, bizarre, inscrutable result, on any issue they're trying to determine. A nearby person experiences the sort of lucky survival-without-the-slightest-injury that creates a natural walkaway. Alternatively, a minor mishap snowballs into a lethal result (think Final Destination movies). A poor peasant digging for barely-edible roots unearths an ancient bandit's forgotten loot cache. A wealthy grain merchant discovers his entire warehouse has become infested with weavils (overnight). As the "exposure" of an area to the Out of Fate being continues, the odds continue skewing more to the wildly improbable, in an increasing number of facets of everyday life.

Extreme: Metaphors become real. Someone says "this biscuit is tough as boot leather" and the biscuit becomes literally as tough as boot leather. Groom says to new bride as he carries her over threshold "Why, you're light as a feather!" Bride experiences drastic mass problem. Widow accuses merchant who won't extend her line of credit so she can buy food for her family of being a cold man, damaging case of frostbite ensues..in summer. Etc etc

Comment

Wraith's mention of the dice thing made me think of Rosenkrantz and Guildernstern* are Dead, so a few things.

+ Railroading- During certain intervals characters will find themselves speaking lines and performing actions that they did not intend to do. These are not necessarily OOC for an individual, but as soon as the interaction ceases the character is fully aware that they weren't in the driver seat for that.

+ Which one were you again? - Groups will have their names come untethered from them. While people, and those afflicted, will still know the group and respond as roughly as they normally would; there will be a general uncertainty into which individual is which in the group with people freely swapping which person they refer to with a given name.

*The beginning of the film has one of the two flipping a coin and it just coming up as heads with the indication that this has been going on for hours.
                    Last edited by nalak42; 07-24-2018, 04:14 AM.

Comment

great suggestions from everyone - love it

Comment

Individual Fair Folk tend not to be powerful enough to disturb fate with their mere presence but their significant actions might derail someones destiny. People they kill or leave dream eaten are unable to complete their destinies and the Loom of Fate might compensate for that in odd ways, for example there might be an immaculate conception because the father died before meeting the mother and the Pattern Spiders took the most direct course of action to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bastet View Post
                          Individual Fair Folk tend not to be powerful enough to disturb fate with their mere presence but their significant actions might derail someones destiny. People they kill or leave dream eaten are unable to complete their destinies and the Loom of Fate might compensate for that in odd ways, for example there might be an immaculate conception because the father died before meeting the mother and the Pattern Spiders took the most direct course of action to fix it.

I know - but if its one fair folk cataphract and four alchemicals who are also entirely outside of fate, who have actively been building stuff and blowing loads of essence on all kinds of things, then the fate errors were bound to start showing up...

Comment

I don't think Fair Folk should be causing fate glitches willy-nilly. That said, if you want to run it that way, here's my Calibration Weirdness Inspiration list:
                            • Food uncooks itself and leaps back together into its raw form.
                            • Patterns occur where they should not. The sprinkles in a box of cupcakes or biscuits crawl about and rearrange themselves. Birds fly in odd formations.
                            • A small wood elemental is born in someone's salad. It lives to protect the salad from being eaten, but its lettuce leaf limbs are ineffectual at attacking or defending. It speaks broken Old Realm and has the mind of a very small child, becoming visibly distressed if the salad is removed from its bowl and eaten. It does throw the eggs and croutons over the side, though.
                            • Materials briefly transmute into other materials: oil into guava juice, paving stones to emeralds, mattress straw to jelly...
                            • Birds call in the melody of popular songs.
                            • ​People start speaking languages they didn't know before and won't know tomorrow.
                            • Saying the name of a fruit turns your hair the colour of that fruit for a day.
                            • Vegetables become very aggressive and self-mobile.
                            • People rapidly physically age or de-age, sometimes both in quick succession, eventually settling somewhere close to their true age - in most cases.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

I've always treated demons as the much more individually damaging-to-fate Outside Fate beings. Everything Sidereal-related seems to take the tack "One Demon can cause fate-errors, group of Faeries causes fate-errors." I kid you not. Look through 1E Sidereals, 2E MoEP: Sidereals, and CoCD: Malfeas and Yu-Shan. Demons get the individual treatment, because the very event that frees a Demon is already an improbability. The tack they took was this improbability was the crack in Fate the demon used to exit Malfeas (describing it literally from the Malfeas side as demons jumping through briefly-appearing cracks), and the demon's subsequent actions worsen the problem.

Whereas with the Fair Folk, their damage all seems to stem from the fact that as actors unattached to the Loom, coupled with their almost-inherently unpredictable conduct, and their Wyld-borne abilities, they create situations that aren't "resolved." The cart that does and doesn't kill the artist, etc.

It's not a mechanical thing, but there's enough fluff to back it I always ran with it that way. Also, Demons seem much more focused on the fact that as escaped prisoners, causing damage to the Creation taken away from their masters is the thing to do. Whereas, other than a few exceptions, Fair Folk "methodology" (if there can be said to be such a thing) is Chaos Causes Fate Problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X