Ten Thousand Omens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Thousand Omens

So, due to various reasons it looks like I'm going to be needing plenty of kinds of omen weather for an upcoming game, but I'm really not very creative in that respect. So, if anyone could come up with some examples (the more the merrier) that would be wonderful

I hope these are along the lines of what you're thinking of:

Raitons flying with the wind portend a peaceful passing. Raitons flying against the wind portend a painful death. In general, raiton omens probably relate to death or dying, possibly to rebirth or ghosts.

Sunshowers indicate good luck for upcoming marriages. The unique peace made between rain and sun forecasts a harmonious marriage. Occasionally people move marriages ahead in schedule to be closer to a sunshower day when one happens.

Windless days bode ill for secrets. Still air carries voices afar, and conspiracies are ripe to be exposed when the wind is quiet.

Full moon nights are bad times for travel. The ogres and beasts and Anathema out in the world grow stronger on full-moon nights. Travelers-by-night should be wary of traveling during this time, and should seek refuge in a temple, stupa, or other bastion of faith if one can be found.

Green morning skies are bad days for work. Here in the central US people swear that a green sky means a tornado is coming. But you can have a green sky without a tornado; generally they indicate that rain or thunder is on the way, sometimes but not always as the leading edge for tornadoes (afaik). Regardless, a green morning sky means that there's bad weather that day, so seek shelter.

I think some of those might be more superstition than weather omen...

Comment

Classics:
      Rain of blood, Rain of frogs, Circle Rainbows, Rain and/or lightning without clouds

Songs:
      Purple Rain! Purple rain!, Storm in a Teacup, It's raining men

Actually happened:
      Rain of Blood-like substance, Fog from sewage water (pollution is bad kids), Fog from smoke, Snow of Ash, Rain of sewage (Dang birds), "Snow" of feathers (My down Pillow!!!), Yellow Snow (dang pollen), "snow" of wood chips, "snow" of soap,

Ideas:
      A twister where the images of people you have an intimacy of one kind or another for appear, Blood HAIL, Rain of bile, "snowstorm" of "fireflakes", Rainbows of colors that don't exist, nacreous cumulonimbus clouds,Rain of jellyfish, Anything where an ad pops up,

I'll bring more if any occur to me.

Hi, I'm Smiles With Fangs. I backed Exalted 3rd edition, but I can't make the image I have smaller so here's a kitten

I made some Liminal Charms here I made some Evocations for Wood Dragon's Claws here I'm working on a splat for the Moonsilver Warriors here

Comment

Originally posted by ElectronSutra View Post
        I hope these are along the lines of what you're thinking of:

Raitons flying with the wind portend a peaceful passing. Raitons flying against the wind portend a painful death. In general, raiton omens probably relate to death or dying, possibly to rebirth or ghosts.

Sunshowers indicate good luck for upcoming marriages. The unique peace made between rain and sun forecasts a harmonious marriage. Occasionally people move marriages ahead in schedule to be closer to a sunshower day when one happens.

Windless days bode ill for secrets. Still air carries voices afar, and conspiracies are ripe to be exposed when the wind is quiet.

Full moon nights are bad times for travel. The ogres and beasts and Anathema out in the world grow stronger on full-moon nights. Travelers-by-night should be wary of traveling during this time, and should seek refuge in a temple, stupa, or other bastion of faith if one can be found.

Green morning skies are bad days for work. Here in the central US people swear that a green sky means a tornado is coming. But you can have a green sky without a tornado; generally they indicate that rain or thunder is on the way, sometimes but not always as the leading edge for tornadoes (afaik). Regardless, a green morning sky means that there's bad weather that day, so seek shelter.

I think some of those might be more superstition than weather omen...
        Well, they work well for mild omen weather. I was kind of after the sorts of unnatural occurances that SmilesWithFangs had, though.

Comment

Dry Rain: a particularly nasty effect of the Southern and Western Wylds, Dry Rain rolls in on very dusty clouds, but when it starts, water starts falling up from the ground up into the sky to feed the hungry clouds. It only sucks up fresh water, leaving oceans untouched but rain barrels and small oases drained after the passing. Very bad for struggling towns.

Comment

Weather omens?

You mean to say: the local weather-controlling elementals have been assigned by a sid to lure someone into doing something specific?

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Are we talking about the kind of portents that would dog the footsteps of higher-circle demons or infernal artifacts around in 2nd ed? More generic "wrath of god" stuff?

I gotta say, it's hard to top 'blood hail' but here's what I got:
              • Dust storm with an unusual colour so that everything appears to have had a filter applied. Look up photos from the 2009 Eastern Australian dust storm for how eerie this is.
              • An endless stream of flower-petals blows through the area. Following them back to the source brings investigators to an old tree that has been dead for years, now suddenly in bloom again.
              • Lightning from a cloudless sky strikes the exact same place at the same time every day for a week.
              • All birds from all different species begin to sing the same song in unison.
              • Fog that tastes very strongly of iron. Or maybe ginger. Or blood. Blood fog! Hah!
              • Everyone in town has the same dream.
              • The ants start marching in lines that spell out warnings in Old Realm.
              • Fish and other water creatures start swimming through the air as if it were water.
              • Inanimate objects spontaneously develop eyes. You pass a tree, it blinks with a dozen eyes that all track your movements. You finish your breakfast cereal to discover an eye that wasn't there before staring at you from the bottom of the bowl.
              • Sound carries oddly, either being muted despite the source being a few metres away with no obstructions, or being clear despite distance and barriers.
              • Rains of milk and honey.
              • All the shadows start having a battle independently of their owners. Or perhaps just a rave.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Measure of Hope View Post
                Are we talking about the kind of portents that would dog the footsteps of higher-circle demons or infernal artifacts around in 2nd ed?
                This kind of thing. I'm looking at making use of EarthScorpion's Oramis charmset, which has a lot of omen weather-based effects. For instance, there's a charm called Wreathed in Portents which causes your anima to manifest more and more apocalyptic signs as it flares higher and higher - you start with unseasonal frosts and end in un-light aurorae and storms that flash with prismatic lightning.

Comment

The weather witch's feather cloak rustles in the direction the wind is coming from. She seems concerned but refuses to answer questions.

No one in the camp can figure out why it's so hard to start a fire and keep it going. There's no rain, the ground is dry but not parched. The tinder and kindling is dry, and the logs are split and seasoned. They should all burn readily, but won't even stay alight without someone fanning or blowing on them constantly.

Fire from a chimney keeps backing up into the room, refusing to go outside. When you blow it out, it forms a smoke ring (or whatever roundish sign) each time.

The sounds of a battle echo in the patter of a downfall of rain. If you listen very closely you can hear the hails and commands of the generals and relays, in their ancient language, where the rain plip-plops into a lake or stream.

A fog rolls in, and over the day and night doesn't burn away. It rises slowly, and as it rises, you find that it seems to echo sound further and further. You can hear wildlife from over the hill - and it can surely hear you. What else will you hear? What else has heard you and all your recent conversations?

An unseasonable storm forces down a carrier pigeon near you. Maybe it contains a love letter between a couple long dead. Maybe it contains a plea for help from allies you've left behind. Maybe it contains a plea for help in your own hand and for circumstances you haven't yet faced.

Fast, dry wind whipping over the top of an ore-bearing mountain is well known for discharging sheet lightning during certain seasons. Some people believe you can gain an insight by honoring the mountain god and meditating on the spectacle.

It shouldn't be possible, but the top of this hill has a spring. It vanishes for years and returns during the driest summers. When it appears, the locals pray fervently over the color of cave-fish swept up from below - they have legends that the hue of the fish foretells events to come. The locals, if you press them, will show you their good-luck-fishy tattoos.

None of the sailors are sure what to make of it, but there is a cloud of dust high in the sky and far out to sea. There isn't a legend or folk wisdom to match this circumstance, but the crew mumble that they'd like to sail wide around it. Already, fine, dry, silty dust starts to gather on the decks and sails.

The elder of the village always hated the rain. He's been on his death bed, delirious, for several days. This morning, while the village and whole countryside was being pelted by heavy rainfall, he had a moment of lucidity. He sat up, drank his broth, and asked his children to carry him out into the rain. He stood despite his infirmity, danced in the rain laughing like a child. Finally, he sat down where he was (square in the middle of a puddle), told his family how he loved them, turned his face up to the clouds with a wide grin of true joy.... and expired. What was it that he saw? What changed him?

A particular corner of the river is infamous for its difficult currents. It has claimed many riverboats, dashing them on the rocks. Today, a strange change in the current is catching boats and holding them still, as if caught in an eddy.

Some people, when they are sad, are said to have a rain cloud hanging over their head. Today, you have one hanging over your head... literally. Why?

People's shadows disappear on foggy days. This foggy day wasn't unusual, except that your shadow still hasn't returned yet.

... or maybe it did, but it brought another.

Whenever you spend Essence while traveling through Bridge Valley, a rainbow starts to form across the highest part of the valley, where it forms into a winding mountain pass. The bridge, for which the valley is named, has a small pavilion at its peak, and is considered the best place to witness the spectacle. Today, as you enter the valley from the path at the very bottom, the rainbow is already forming - and it is inky black.

Sailors take omens from the type and quantity of birds that alight upon their ships. Farmers, soldiers, merchants, and diplomats all have their own legends regarding birds that cross their paths. But what does it mean when that bird is one you've never seen before?

The first field that you passed this morning had a circular brown patch. You were sure it was just a little problem with a natural blight - surely the farmers would soon take care of it. Then you saw a field with two circular brown patches. Then one with three, all in a row. It's early afternoon, and you stand by the side of the road, contemplating a field with four circular brown patches in a square, accompanied by a rounded triangle. Is this a code?

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Working...
                  X