Artifact Costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artifact Costs

I've been studying the EX3E manual for a few months now and something is still confusing the heck out of me. How are artifacts actually costed out? I haven't been able to find any guidelines in the books for this that is consistent. Is there something I am missing or some reference made by veterans that can give me some insight into how the Artifacts merit actually works?

What exactly do you mean? If you mean how artifacts get dots, it depends on what type of item it is and effect.

Comment

I guess my confusion is that i don't see a cost for a "Basic" artifact weapon or armor, and I cant tell why some of the pre-written ones are costed out the way they are.

Comment

There are no “basic” Artifact weapons or Armor. Each of them is either a storied piece of antiquity with its own legend or the newly made pinnacle of a Smith’s craft, fully ready to shake the foundations of creation.

All of them presumably have evocations and all start at 3 dots.

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzlemeyer View Post
          I guess my confusion is that i don't see a cost for a "Basic" artifact weapon or armor, and I cant tell why some of the pre-written ones are costed out the way they are.
          In this edition, there isn't such a thing. Each artifact starts at 3 and comes with evocations. They go up to 5. 3 are just basic powers while 5 is extremely powerful. Arms of the chosen has a sample set of what the difference between them is.

Comment

Artifact 3: increases its wielders capabilities and generally makes them better at what they do

Artifact 4: unlocks a new playstyle or powers that engage a new method of play (basically anything that grants flight falls in to this category for instance)

Artifact 5: world shaking wonders of such power that they generally define any scene they are active in. Things like creating vast thunderstorms or calling up volcanoes go here.

All weapon and armor artifacts fall into one of these categories. Any light, medium, or heavy artifact can hold any different power level. Any of the five magical materials can bring forth powers of any level

Oh and artifact 3 gets 10 evocations max, Artifact 4 gets 15 at most, and artifact 5 gets no limit.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

There are Artifact 2 items, but none of them are weapons or armor and they cover the older edition's versions of the utility based 1-2 dot artifacts. Anything combat based is Artifact 3+.

The listed base stats of the various light/medium/ heavy melee/archery/thrown artifacts and armors are the base stats. This includes Attunement cost of 5 base for all of them i believe. Personalizing them into unique wonders is then the job of the player and/or ST, including adding style and evocation options.

Comment

Weapon attunement is a flat 5m. Armor attunement goes from 4m for light armor to 6m for heavy armor

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

4 dots is where you tend to get the introduction of new resource statistics like Doom, Intensity, Wakefulness, correct? So the artifact has its own supplemental sub-mechanic like some of the MA styles rather than just working within the existing core mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                    4 dots is where you tend to get the introduction of new resource statistics like Doom, Intensity, Wakefulness, correct?
                    No, there are 3-dot Artifacts like that. Doom is actually attached to one of them.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

The main rule is that evocations show up at artifact 3 and up. So if you did theoretically make a daiklave with no evocations, it would be two dots.

You're not supposed to do that, but go nuts. It's not like we have squads of canon-enforcing ninjas.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                        You're not supposed to do that, but go nuts. It's not like we have squads of canon-enforcing ninjas.
                        Bloodthirsty Canon, a starmetal and soulsteel infinite chakram, was made by Chejop Kejack in the aftermath of the Usurpation. Those scarred by its Old Realm-inscribed edges forever earn the enmity of an obscure spirit known as the Canon Ninja, who obsess over the state of cryptic trivia.
                        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 08-03-2018, 08:41 AM.

Comment

The main rule is that evocations show up at artifact 3 and up. So if you did theoretically make a daiklave with no evocations, it would be two dots.

I'd generally argue against it since when a person buys a daiklave with no free Evocations, they still have to invest xp into it to get htem, while the guy who just got a hypothetical two-dot one with no Evocations in effect gets a point for free. Making Evocatiosn require 3 and Artifacts require it I think is there in part so that if you want the stats, you have to pony-up.

That said, Artifact 2 might get you a mortal statted weapon with some unique supernatural things, but an actual daiklave I'd advise gainst, even if it is ultimatley one's own game on that.

And stuff.
                          My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post

I'd generally argue against it since when a person buys a daiklave with no free Evocations, they still have to invest xp into it to get htem, while the guy who just got a hypothetical two-dot one with no Evocations in effect gets a point for free. Making Evocatiosn require 3 and Artifacts require it I think is there in part so that if you want the stats, you have to pony-up.

That said, Artifact 2 might get you a mortal statted weapon with some unique supernatural things, but an actual daiklave I'd advise gainst, even if it is ultimatley one's own game on that.
                            Artifacts found in core and Arms aren't just weapons/armors with better statlines even before you start purchasing Evocations. Gorgon can still wake even if you haven't bought a single Evocation for it yet, and will add its Wakefulness rating to Withering damage. Adorei gives you +1 Accuracy right off the bat. Spring Razor gives you its first Evocation for free. So on and so forth.

In light of this, one could argue a hypothetical 2-dot weapon/armor with just the base artifact statline, no immediate bonus and no Evocations to buy, would be priced fairly.

Comment

A Really Nice Daiklave ( ** ) - This is a really nice Daiklave. It is sturdily built and, even if the design is very orthodox, it fits nicely in the hand. It comes with a matching scabbard, and the whole set is decorated in a way that's actually really nice, if you give it much notice. A Really Nice Daiklave is part of a panoply forged by a group of artisans known as the Conclave of the Magnificent Spark. This sect's guiding tenet is that the excellence and might of the Chosen should not be obscured by mere objects. Those who carry A Really Nice Daiklave can be sure that their weapon will not fail them in combat, nor will it outshine their own glory. It is also really nicely weighted and pleasant to swing.

Evocations - Probably none. Chosen who bear A Really Nice Daiklave and have a positive Intimacy toward displaying their own prowess may gain 1 Willpower when they defeat a significant foe without the use of Evocations from any source. Whether this effect is itself an Evocation is mildly debated, occasionally; whether it is or is not, the effect has no XP cost and is discovered the first time the conditions are met.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Working...
                              X