X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fizzlemeyer
    started a topic Artifact Costs

Artifact Costs

I've been studying the EX3E manual for a few months now and something is still confusing the heck out of me. How are artifacts actually costed out? I haven't been able to find any guidelines in the books for this that is consistent. Is there something I am missing or some reference made by veterans that can give me some insight into how the Artifacts merit actually works?

• Cryo-Seraph
    replied
    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    "After mechanically churning out hundreds of daiklaves in the course of several weeks, I finally created my magnum opus: Gudsord, the Generic Blade. A sword so utterly mundane it cannot be described"
    Ooh, possible origin story of the forgotten blade?

Just kidding, onto more serious ideas:
    I would love a quest for a matching set of artifacts that complement each other and harmonize well together. One for each good guy PC, and maybe wearable all by one person as the evil collector.

So maybe: armor, sword, smashfist/shield, bow, and like a helmet or crown. Each a different color of jade, buffed evocations when 'near' another of the set.

The problem ive had with mass artifact creation concerning weapons like daiklaves that i feel 3rd edition adresses better in mechanics but leaves vague on fluff is that, translated to D&D, Daiklaves are already the +5 flaming vicious vorpal swords. At 3 dots. 4 and 5 dots add nothing mathwise to your stats, they just expand your evocation options. D&D having plain +1 and +2 swords was strange but understandable for its math side of the game. Exalted, especially 3rd, doesn't really run like that. And the combat abilities (for solars at least) can let you skip needing an artifact at all and just summon your weapon out of light, even with evocations.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    "After mechanically churning out hundreds of daiklaves in the course of several weeks, I finally created my magnum opus: Gudsord, the Generic Blade. A sword so utterly mundane it cannot be described"

Leave a comment:

• Meianno Yuurei
    replied
    Paired blades like Courant and Galliard, the twin blades of Razor Dancer and Wise Steel or the twin Devil Casters suggested with Sirrush, or a set of five blades made specifically for a Circle, Fellowship, or Brotherhood, etc. Awesome.

"I pumped out so many daiklaves today I didn't even bother naming them all": Meh.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    If you make a lot of daiklaves at once they should be part of a set and do shit when you get all of them together.
    I'm down for that too! It's why I actually mentioned the anime/light novel Katanagatari. One of the 13 evil swords in that series is...actually a set of like 100 swords that are all actually the same sword. Shit like that's cool, but it should be done so you actually are taking their large amount into account for the story, rather than just trying to outfit folks with marginally better-statted weapons.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    If you make a lot of daiklaves at once they should be part of a set and do shit when you get all of them together.

Leave a comment:

• Saipjas
    replied
    Originally posted by Blaque View Post
    The idea that a Solar can by herself crank out a lot of daiklaves like some crazy swordsmith is not in itself soemthing 3e is against.

What it is more against, in my understanding, is stuff like having a Factory-Cathedral pump out a battlegroup's worth of daiklaves in the span it took to build a singl eone, with each one bieng identical and not having anything ot them save being made out of fancy alloyed steel. The former is an extension of the fact that you make a lot of daiklaves, and the result is something that is sitlle ach a unique piece of artifice by the builder. The other is industrialization of osmething not really meant to be industrialized for setting coherency.
    This is my understanding too, it’s the idea of wholesale mass production of artifacts, or to put it another the industrialization of artifacts without the use of first age artifice, that 3e is not a fan of. That’s not to say you can’t make a shining wonderous city on the hill, but that should be something a solar is building toward throughout an entire chronicle. It’s why there is an emphasis on sorcerous workings, to show what had to be in place for that wonderous infrastructure to work. What i think 3e is against is the genericization of artifacts into magic sword+1. Just my two cents

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    The idea that a Solar can by herself crank out a lot of daiklaves like some crazy swordsmith is not in itself soemthing 3e is against.

What it is more against, in my understanding, is stuff like having a Factory-Cathedral pump out a battlegroup's worth of daiklaves in the span it took to build a singl eone, with each one bieng identical and not having anything ot them save being made out of fancy alloyed steel. The former is an extension of the fact that you make a lot of daiklaves, and the result is something that is sitlle ach a unique piece of artifice by the builder. The other is industrialization of osmething not really meant to be industrialized for setting coherency.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Artifacts created to be used as bargaining chips should probably made specifically for whoever you are bargaining with.

Not "Oh, I need to butter up this guy" *rummages around massive pile of daiklaves* "yeah, I think he'll like this one"

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post

Arms of the chosen is a seperate supplement that not many people have access too.
    What are you basing that on?

Originally posted by Epimetheus
    It does change the evocations.
    Not really. They actually dropped an idea that the prior developers had for changing Evocations, and stuck to the solid course established by the core.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by Lioness View Post
    That's still not going to be most people's definition of churning out daiklaves.
    Yeah, one daiklaive a story isn't that quick. One artefact a story seems like a reasonable rate for someone who's sunk a fair bit of XP into Craft, tbh. And it's pretty achievable.

Leave a comment:

• Epimetheus
    replied
    Originally posted by Meianno Yuurei View Post
    it's almost like most people complaining about 3e craft haven't even read it.
    Arms of the chosen is a seperate supplement that not many people have access too. It doesn't alter the crafting part of the solar charmset. It does change the evocations.

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    Originally posted by rj.au View Post
    Give them to martially inclined gods to win their favour. Supply them to outcaste terrestrial families to incentivise them to stay on your good side. Give them to NPC celestial exalted in exchange for their help. Give them to desperate dynasts willing to bargain with anathemas in the hope of defeating their rivals. Give them to abyssals in exchange for eclipse-sanctified vows not to attack your subjects. Use a different one each story then sell them to collectors of historically important weapons.
    That's still not going to be most people's definition of churning out daiklaves.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by Meianno Yuurei View Post
    Oh no, most people who complain about it have definitely read it in detail.

Leave a comment:

• Meianno Yuurei
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X