Tell me about your actual 3rd edition Dragonblood characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about your actual 3rd edition Dragonblood characters

I'm considering making a Dragonblood PC soon for a mixed game that, once the current story is over, my Zenith will be retiring from. (Other than me, it's 2 stealthy/combat Nights, a Twilight crafter, a Changing Moon socialite, a Raksha swordswoman, and an Air-aspect Immaculate monk).
    But, besides maybe playing a sorcerer (as we don't have one currently, we used to have two), I'm not really sure what to play.

So, what I'd like to know, is who's actually played a Dragonblood with the new system? What aspect and XP are you? What have you found fun? What are the charms that everyone has most enjoyed? Which charms have you found really useful, and which ones not very? How important have you found having artefact weapon and armour? Are evocations the power choice they seem like?
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 08-01-2018, 03:48 PM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

I'm playing a fairly high essence Dragon Blood in two games atm (one 250-ish xp, the other 550-ish); but in both cases I haven't played many games and the characters started off at those high xp levels rather than naturally getting there. Both of them also use M.A. so I haven't had the greatest of looks at their native combat charms. Neither of them lean particularly heavily into evocations though.

Charms are, naturally, going to be to taste. A lot of the real fun effects lie in signature charms. A lot of the charms I never use, I bought knowing that was the case, but wanted access to charms beyond them - obviously this is a lot easier to swallow when making a character from the ground up than if you had to save in session for a useless charm. The charms I'd say I find the most dissapointing are the non-excellency dice/success adders - especially if it involves another ability (I.E. Where is Doom Inquisition and Deck Striding Prana). You tend to pay more than an excellency for a comparable effect and, unlike Solars, DBs have quite a low cap so it's easier for the charm to go above that and have wasted dice.

For example, Deck Striding Prana is 3m 2i (or 3m in aura) and allows me to add my Sail (5) to movement rolls. Sadly my Athletics is only 3 and Dodge 2, so D.S.P. is seldom better than an excellency.

Comment

I have two. A Fire aspect at around, 30xp right now. She's a runaway who is with a group of solars and at no point am I actually feeling useless. She's hiding from her usurping uncle and probably would still be underground if a certain twilight's cat spirit hadn't outted her right in front of him. So there is that wrinkle. She had as her cover a circus performer who was their "dragon blood". AKA she's a terrestrial pretending to be a human who is pretending to be a terrestrial with smoke and mirrors.

She is quite fun and the most common complaint so far is from the solars being mad that their charms are absolutely boring compared to hers.

My other terrestrial is at around 25 xp and is in a DB only game. She's an earth immaculate and she hits like a truck using Faith's Pillar. She's an absolute blast because she lets me flaunt my knowledge of the immaculate faith all over the place. So far running Dex 3 hasn't been an issue since we are dealing with threats on the terrestrial level. The craziest thing she has done so far was despite being the smallest person in the group, was stop a falling stone funicular getting 16 successes on her feats of strength roll. (She has a sobriquet of Little Mountain for a reason).

Both characters have been an absolute blast and i'm super excited to dig further into the trees with them. Jade Phoenix Soul (the fire aspect) is gonna be a major boon in combat when she get Fire Incites Water to a Riot of Clouds, though i'm looking most forward to is Terrifying Fire Dragon Roar. I am fully embracing the fact that any exalt worth their salt is gonna want a Terrestrial on their side because they have so much support ability).

Comment

What do you mean by support ability?

Comment

A lot of dragon blooded charms feel as though they soften things up. Alternatively they can provide boosts to allies. The Fire Incites Water to a Riot of Clouds for instance generates initiative to boost allies. Unbearable Taunt Technique and Moth the the Flame can really help out our solar who utilizes defend other charms. Granted many charms work better on fellow terrestrials in a sworn kinship, but there are plenty that just help allies. I am working to get thrown to use with elemental bolt and be able to create concealment for others with a smokebomb charm. All kinds of fun things.

Comment

Looking a it, I think that part of Deck-striding prana might be more for characters who don't have any dodge or athletics charms. It's not a prerequisite for anything, so if you don't feel zooming up rigging (or have other charms that can do the job) you can easily skip it.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
              Looking a it, I think that part of Deck-striding prana might be more for characters who don't have any dodge or athletics charms. It's not a prerequisite for anything, so if you don't feel zooming up rigging (or have other charms that can do the job) you can easily skip it.
              The problem is that it isn't very good for player with no dodge/athletics charms if they also don't have many dots in dodge, athletics and sail. If it allowed you to use your sail instead of your dodge or athletics, I think it'd be a lot more viable. Still it's miles better than Where-Is-Doom Inquisition, a charm my character also has, and his only Join-Battle enchancer (Occult 5. 6m for +2 dice to JB is a good deal, right?)

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              What do you mean by support ability?
              Adding to what Kell_Tamer said, the signature earth war charm requires you to be opperating under a succesful strategum, but it doesn't have to be one you introduced, which allows them to play nice with other war-charm users. They also have a few charms which enhance distract gambits, which helps sell the idea of them working as a team with other exalts. I do think it's a bit of a shame you can only sworn kinship with other dragon-bloods but it does help sell the idea that DBs are at their best when they're all working together.

Comment

Originally posted by Kell_Tamer View Post
                I have two. A Fire aspect at around, 30xp right now. She's a runaway who is with a group of solars and at no point am I actually feeling useless. She's hiding from her usurping uncle and probably would still be underground if a certain twilight's cat spirit hadn't outted her right in front of him. So there is that wrinkle. She had as her cover a circus performer who was their "dragon blood". AKA she's a terrestrial pretending to be a human who is pretending to be a terrestrial with smoke and mirrors.

She is quite fun and the most common complaint so far is from the solars being mad that their charms are absolutely boring compared to hers.

My other terrestrial is at around 25 xp and is in a DB only game. She's an earth immaculate and she hits like a truck using Faith's Pillar. She's an absolute blast because she lets me flaunt my knowledge of the immaculate faith all over the place. So far running Dex 3 hasn't been an issue since we are dealing with threats on the terrestrial level. The craziest thing she has done so far was despite being the smallest person in the group, was stop a falling stone funicular getting 16 successes on her feats of strength roll. (She has a sobriquet of Little Mountain for a reason).

Both characters have been an absolute blast and i'm super excited to dig further into the trees with them. Jade Phoenix Soul (the fire aspect) is gonna be a major boon in combat when she get Fire Incites Water to a Riot of Clouds, though i'm looking most forward to is Terrifying Fire Dragon Roar. I am fully embracing the fact that any exalt worth their salt is gonna want a Terrestrial on their side because they have so much support ability).
                Have you taken any social charms?

Comment

Mostly the excellencies. Unbearable Taunt Technique is more a combat utility at this time. Glowing Coal Radiance has been wonderful on my end as I tend to proc 10's with it. Friend to All Nations Attitude has been wonderful in supplying free temporary specialties.

Comment

I currently play 3 Dragon-Blooded.

Valaren Artemesia in a pure Dragon-Blooded game where we have started out at teenagers so started out as an essence 1 hatchling. She is a duelist/dance fighter I found a fun synergy with Supple Viridian Scales and Petal-Strewn Pavane to be impressively fast when in Wood Aura. I am building towards a Wood based approach to Melee to compliment this (despite her being an Air Aspect) but not there yet.

Sesus Viola (Fire) and Sesus Linarra (Water) are at around 400 xp and recently moved to the new rules. This is a mixed game and its here I note a potential problem I have noticed with Aura - while much more interesting than out-of-aspect surcharges there is the potential (especially when traveling with characters much stronger than you) to waste a turn getting into the appropriate elemental state and find that you are too late to the party.

Comment

How often have you guys managed to get into Aura before a fight? Because I noticed that problem Bastet, since you have to use a charm on your turn and then enter Aura at the end, and JB isn't your turn.
                      So I wondered about, when in a situation where I thought a fight would soon start, activating some small charm to get into Aura (as it last a scene unless you break it with a different element). But you don't always get the opportunity.

Comment

Just surreptitiously use your anima stunt power. That counts.

Comment

With tarala it hasn't been an issue since all my combat charms are fire and she is fire. I also dont lead with an aura requiring charm since I'd rather make my target burn resources on lower power effects. That said I do think a lot of people look at solars and think terrestrial non aura powers are useless.

Mountain has ended most her fights in a single shot (DeX 3 ma 5 is fine btw). Her opener is usually enough to crash and crash hard with an opening evocation and force of the mountain. Her getting to earth aura is usually easy as I'm detecting for a threat before it happens. Deep listening palm and all encompassing earth sense. The result is an opening bringing 29 withering base at a target. Usually enough to crash in one swing against basic foes

But yeah different characters use different styles. Tarala doesn't super rely on aura, I just note what one she's in. As a performer it's actually really easy to get her to wood aura. Mountain relies almost exclusively on earth aura and it's fairly easy to get that going.

Comment

Working...
                          X