Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An example of recoil-based hammer martial arts

Skip to 40 seconds in.

First she spins up for momentum, then uses the recoil of her first strike to reverse-spin into a second swing. She uses the recoil of the second strike to rechamber her hammer, launching an immediate third strike without needing to spin at all.

She gets in one more strike before needing to dodge.

When she attacks again, she's established enough of a rhythm to immediately jump into the recoil-rechamber-repeat attack to double-strike once, twice, and the third attack becomes a barrage of blows as she (metaphorically) turns herself into a lever-based trip-hammer and begins to strike the ground on the backswing to generate and harness recoil in both directions.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

So, how many hammer-fans are on this forum, anyway?

Comment

I... like Thor movies?

Comment

I'd pick axes over hammers anytime but they're usually lumped together. Even in Thor.

Are you going to redo your hammer style homebrew?

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
          I'd pick axes over hammers anytime but they're usually lumped together. Even in Thor.
          Axes deserve more love than hammers, because at least hammers have Earth Dragon Style. Axes have never had anything.

I still think White Reaper Style ought to allow pole-axes, which are functionally identical to two-handed axes in this system unless you wanted to drop the Reach tag.

Are you going to redo your hammer style homebrew?
          I continue to work at writing ANY sort of hammer style, but it is a difficult and lonely process.

I would not mind having two hammer styles -- one exploring the power of Knockback with whirling strikes and agility, while the other emphasizes Knockdown and hitting someone as rapidly as possible.

Comment

Not gonna lie, the blows in that clip looked incredibly weak and ineffective. If your hammer blow is bouncing off your target, as opposed to simply allowing you to follow through with the swing it would seem that it probably wasn't very strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Maph1 View Post
              Not gonna lie, the blows in that clip looked incredibly weak and ineffective. If your hammer blow is bouncing off your target, as opposed to simply allowing you to follow through with the swing it would seem that it probably wasn't very strong.
              Her target is a regenerating giant made of stone, and withering attacks are a thing.

Comment

I'm with Maph1; I don't find this display impressive.

When you're using a hammer, or any bludgeoning weapon, to attack someone, your goal is generally to do one of two things:
                1. Break bones, especially joints.
                2. Cause concussions.

For both of those things, penetration is important. If the recoil of your strike conserves enough momentum that you can swing around without slowing, you're probably not penetrating. I can absolutely picture this scene happening with a squeaky rubber hammer instead of that big iron thing.
                Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                Her target is a regenerating giant made of stone, and withering attacks are a thing.
                The way I'd describe withering attacks with a hammer is a deliberate attempt to break down someone's defenses - beating down shields, smashing armor, knocking them off balance. You can push an opponent around with a hammer in ways that would be implausible with an edged or pointed weapon.

Against a regenerating giant made of stone, assuming I had the ability to climb all over it and not worry too hard about newton's laws being applied to me, I'd swing for the back of the legs, the hips, the upper arms, and maybe the jaws. Hits to those areas could conceivably shift the giant's momentum and balance without breaking anything important. Not so much smacking it in the palm.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

I suppose I can see a recoil-based series of attacks being useful to build up resonance that the attacker takes advantage of in a final strike, like the landlady in Kung Fu Hustle banging on that giant bell until the top flew off. Not seeing it as being especially useful when applied in the context of real world physics.

Comment

Okay, if the hammer seems to be failing to do anything, what if it is?

What if the double-tap is a reflexive Charm that lets the girl take a failed damage roll and retry it?

Comment

Working...
                    X