No announcement yet.

Abyssals: A Shadow Falls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like this. I think my favourite ability is Medicine and its corpse-crafting charms because of the sheer evocative-ness. I like the clear and easily understandable nature of your writing. I do like the idea of turning Whispers into Lore charms, and I really like Hearing Death's Whispers. However, it does seem a little odd to have both an incentive towards gaining and strengthening positive intimacies towards the Neverborn and a mechanic that gives the character an intimacy anyway. It seems like it reduces the temptation to give in?

I'm a little concerned about gaining the wrong type of intimacies causing Resonance. One of the basic actions in Social Influence is to cause someone to gain a minor intimacy, so social influence is fraught for Abyssals in a way that it isn't for other splats.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
      If you want to encourage Abyssals who don't get their own hands dirty so much I'd consider charms that make your actions count as killing someone for the sake of Resonance if you leave someone a broken shell of their former self (think Broken Heart's Triumph) or lets you claim the body count for something you undeiniably put in motion with your dark gifts i.e. the army of zombies that you literally put in motion.
      Sending in an army of zombies that kill a bunch of people should certainly count as killing or directly causing deaths for resonance purposes, though I could see how people might interpret it as indirect if you can sit in your evil lair sipping evil tea while your minions do all the hard work. Uhh, maybe there needs to be another sidebar explaining that in more depth, or maybe I should be doing a little paragraph per resonance trigger explaining them in more depth rather than briefly listing them all. I'll ponder that one.

Originally posted by Indivisible View Post
      I really like this. I think my favourite ability is Medicine and its corpse-crafting charms because of the sheer evocative-ness. I like the clear and easily understandable nature of your writing. I do like the idea of turning Whispers into Lore charms, and I really like Hearing Death's Whispers. However, it does seem a little odd to have both an incentive towards gaining and strengthening positive intimacies towards the Neverborn and a mechanic that gives the character an intimacy anyway. It seems like it reduces the temptation to give in?

I'm a little concerned about gaining the wrong type of intimacies causing Resonance. One of the basic actions in Social Influence is to cause someone to gain a minor intimacy, so social influence is fraught for Abyssals in a way that it isn't for other splats.
      Mmm yeah, I was tossing up a lot whether minor intimacies should ping resonance or not, and at the time I ended up on yes but now I'm coming down more and more on the side of no. I think the argument of people easily tagging you with minor intimacies is good enough to convince me to change it. Minors no longer cause resonance gain.

re:Hearing Death's Whispers, I wanted it to be a reasonable way for an Abyssal to spread pro-death intimacies around on other people, and adding a couple dice on a specific roll didn't feel like quite enough of a carrot, or enough of an in-universe reason, for an ordinary living person to take on those intimacies. It'll only ever create a minor intimacy by itself, so the temptation is still present to build higher up yourself to gain some bonus dice. But I do see your point, hmm. Not totally sure what to do with the charm now.

And thanks for the kind words.

My homebrew: Abyssals, Infernals, Dragon Kings, martial arts.

Comment

One thing I'm extra appreciating about this brew, now that I've built a character and am preparing to use her, is how the charm spreads feel a bit tighter than for Solars.

Given we know that Abyssal Caste Ability spreads will be somewhat different from their Solar cousins (if I read Vance right, the "classic five" are unchanged but the other three are where it gets different; the only confirmed example I know of is Dusks getting Ride), if you were going to try to hash that out yourself, how would you do it? Or would you just prefer not to wade into that?
        I had originally misread (I think?) and thought that they were just getting one changed Ability each (tldr I had Dusk swap Dodge for Ride, Midnight swap Lore for Medicine, Daybreak swap Linguistics for Larceny, Day swap Ride for Linguistics, and Moonshadow swap Larceny for Survival).

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Beans View Post
          Given we know that Abyssal Caste Ability spreads will be somewhat different from their Solar cousins (if I read Vance right, the "classic five" are unchanged but the other three are where it gets different; the only confirmed example I know of is Dusks getting Ride), if you were going to try to hash that out yourself, how would you do it? Or would you just prefer not to wade into that?
          I very much appreciate the symmetry of Solars and Abyssals having the same caste ability spreads, I wouldn't want to change it myself. I might, were I writing Exalted 3.5, change the Solar caste spreads some and thus modify the Abyssal ones as well, but that's well outside the scope of this project. And I did try to bring Abyssal charms more in line with their respective castes than the Solar sets are. The big examples of that problem with Solars are ride, sail and survival, which are all extremely combat-focused abilities - naval combat for sail and pokemon combat for survival, but still combat in any case - which does raise big questions of why my Dawn can't be a sail supernal if the entire ability is about fighting people. I tried to handle that issue, with admittedly varying degrees of success, by shifting the focus of those abilities so they didn't feel like they needed to be Dusk abilities.

Comment

Nice. This was the last splat I really wanted to find in playable form.

An update of the Abyssal backgrounds might be nice additions (especially Whispers), but porting one version or another over from old editions would probably suffice.

It's funny that over two years past the release of Exalted, and there are now readily available, playable splats for all the main Exalt types... none published by Onyx Path aside from Solars. Well, I guess that's easier on the wallet.

Comment

Whispers in the sense of "I was touched by the Neverborn and I can use that to my advantage" got turned into lore charms rather than a merit, since I wanted that to more specifically be a thing for Death's Chosen, the high priests of the Neverborn, who can use that dark blessing to do incredible things beyond what any merit would be able to confer. Whispers in the sense of "I strayed too deep into the Labyrinth and now oh god the voices they won't stop kill kill kill kill" is something I'd model in other ways. Derangements, necromantic initiations, buying occult dots with appropriate death-related specialties, nihilistic intimacies and the like.

Might throw in a little sidebar for having been Teaching Incomprehensible Truth-ed as a merit, though. Need to do some considering first.
              Last edited by Lanaya; 09-25-2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

First. tks for your worl. i had to share this main antagonist i created with you

Pandemic. a 16 years old girl with the persona of wensday adams. essence 4 midnight with: medecine + resistance +War ( also bureaucracy + presence + intigrity)

the point is she experiments with disease and poison, creating different type of undead and infecting them before releasing them in cities.
                with resistance i went disease aura ( hemorragic bleeding, the plague, green rage ( 2nd edition) and one she created ( you become host for flies that infect you with all disease they carry, when born the go out carrying all your disease to infect others. with medecine she can heal off lots and lots of hp while bleeding out and infecting all around her.
                with war she can summon an undead army to aid her when she is exhausted. infecting corpses around her.

SHE HIS THE CONTAGION. her work his to find new ways to created deadly mixes of disease and make them propagate without being notice.

She's the main villain of this Campaing, its gona be hell.

Comment

Working...
                X