Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moss Reynholm View Post

+1

Long-time lurker, first-time poster – these were extremely cool and you've been so generous in sharing them that I wanted to register my thanks. You're awesome.
    Hey thanks Moss! It was a lot of work but also fun, and since I’m not in a game currently a good chance to work around the preview material. Hopefully the little problems get fixed for the final production but even if they aren’t it’ll be a god time. I’ll do my best to do the same for Lunars and Sids when they come out.

I might even do an investigation of the Realm book, but that will probably be a lot less mechanically complex so I’m not sure how I would work it.

Anyway if anyone has any requests of like “how would I do this as a DB.” People can let me know and I’ll give it a shot. There’s a lot of stuff I didn’t even touch on at all, like being a crafter.

Comment

I'd definitely be interested in your (plus anyone else's) musings on the Realm, Lunars and Sids when they hit – really enjoyed this format (and the story was ace). Always had a soft spot for sample characters – find it the most inspiring way of kicking off my own daydreams.

Utterly unrelated note, but I'd be curious to know what you/anyone else sees as a 'general base competency' for Dynasts who have completed their education at the various schools? 1e and 2e gave us skill packages (Archery, Lore, Martial Arts etc) which made some sense to me, whereas 3e handles it with specialties and gives you flexibility to spend your points as you want (which also makes sense – player choice is obviously a good thing and if you're building a thrown character you'd maybe resent that sole obligatory archery dot etc etc).

Maybe the type of thing we see in the Realm book I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Moss Reynholm View Post
        Utterly unrelated note, but I'd be curious to know what you/anyone else sees as a 'general base competency' for Dynasts who have completed their education at the various schools? 1e and 2e gave us skill packages (Archery, Lore, Martial Arts etc) which made some sense to me, whereas 3e handles it with specialties and gives you flexibility to spend your points as you want (which also makes sense – player choice is obviously a good thing and if you're building a thrown character you'd maybe resent that sole obligatory archery dot etc etc).

Maybe the type of thing we see in the Realm book I guess...
        Interesting. Going by what second edition says you'd want at least 2 dots in each Archery, Lore, Martial Arts, Melee, Performance, Presence, Ride, Socialize, and War. Knowing what little I do about upper class people, you'd really want to have Bureaucracy in there too. However that was from an edition where the superior Realm training came with a bunch of free ability dots anyway.

This edition I might say that you should have at least a dot or specialty in the fields that your school touched, because if you studied there well you should have something to show for it. You might also want at least 2 in Bureaucracy, Socialize, (Presence or Performance), and a combat ability. There shouldn't be a proper and well respected scion of the Dynasty who can't quite competently navigate a gala, take care of some of their own finances and politics, and defend themselves both socially and physically. That's 8 dots right there, which is a lot, but those abilities are also pretty useful in a standard Dynast's life so it might not hurt too bad, and basically everyone takes 2 dots of a combat ability anyway.

By way of example when your cousin asks "Oh, by the way, I heard the deliberative is putting through a motion which would tax your vineyards an extra two obols on the shekel, you can't be happy about that." your answer shouldn't be "Oh, are they? I don't really pay attention, I'm not great with the whole laws and numbers and money thing." Bonus points if you have Bureaucracy 5 and say "Actually we're just going to shift our materials purchases to route through a small distributor on the other side of the provincial boarder, thus putting our taxes under subsection B 'Most High and Harmonious Imperial Unification' which will free us from that law entirely."

Likewise if you're at a party and one of your guests said to you "Well, so, we had this pirate right where we wanted her, except every damn time she managed to slip into the mist! So I said we lure her out a bit farther, spin about, and give her the old Arjuf Twist that we learned back at the academy!" Socialize 0 might have you smiling politely, 2 would have you laugh along heartily, and 5 would have you shoot back "That wasn't the class taught by the honourable professor Coravus was it? Dragons, I'd like to give HIM the old Arjuf Twist."

Also there's some leeway anyway, if you slayed a fey lord in single combat you're probably not going to need socialize 2 to be the absolute life of the party, and nobody but the most grumpy old curmudgeon will call you deficient as a Dynast. But man if you had that kind of accolade under your belt AND were an expert storyteller? That'd be good.

We'll see when the Realm comes out anyway. I'm excited to see more about how their government works there and stuff too, some way to be Dragonblooded JFK.

Comment

Moss Reynholm

I don't enforce this as a hard rule, but I urge my players to broaden their skills at chargen.

We're going to have combat/action Scenes, but also social and intrigue/investigation Scenes. Not to mention craft/sorcery/bureaucracy (in the sense of making and arranging stuff) Scenes. It's natural that characters will specialize into their roles, but I do want everybody to participate in every type of Scene we do.

My part of the bargain, as Storyteller, is to suit the challenges to match those broadened skills. If we've agreed to start with about 5 combat/action Charms out of 15, then I need to have antagonists that fit that. And I need to make good on that variety of Scenes as well. The latter is easier than the former, for me - my players are really good at investigating things and naturally tend toward diplomatic solutions, while it always seems easy for my antagonists to turn into chumps or brick walls if I don't give them some good prep.

That isn't a precise answer to your question, but it's how I realize base competency at the table!

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Awesome, thanks both! Much appreciated...

Comment

Working...
            X