Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[PEACH] Dancing Tsunami Style (Or, "You want a spinny flippy hammer style? Here!")

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PEACH] Dancing Tsunami Style (Or, "You want a spinny flippy hammer style? Here!")

TL;DR: A Pole-dancing Glass Cannon Flippy Hammer Style.

Dancing Tsunami Style:

Long ago, it is said there was a monk who meditated upon the teachings of Pasiap at the foot of the Imperial Mountain. She sat in the twisted heart of Meru at the center of the world, meditating upon the righteous downfall of the Anathema and the unyielding strength of the Earth. Then, she met a seductive dancer, and somewhere between trying to talk her out of hampering the local town’s spiritual development with her needlessly erotic displays and rescuing her from lustful bandits, the monk fell in love. She was not young, but it was the first time, and she was bowled over, and sucked into the young dancer’s wake like a girl a quarter of her age. After a great deal of self examination, she abandoned the Immaculate Order and joined her lover’s dancing troupe, traveling the Blessed Isle first as a lover and bodyguard, and then as a strong pair of arms to help set up and pull the wagons and carry the supplies, and finally as a dancer herself. They named themselves the Dancing Dragons, and they earned a following.

Her former mentor, face dour and with violet stars burning in his eyes, accosted them as they danced in a dingy little port town, and berated her for abandoning her gift and the enlightened understanding of the Dragons that was not only her birthright but, he said, her Destiny. She had destroyed everything about herself that she once held dear!

“Love is dancing while the world ends,” she told him.

He didn’t like her sutra. That’s why there’s not a dingy little port town there anymore, just a small and oddly circular bay. But that wasn’t the ending-she settled down in Port Calin and took on students, later, she and her dancing lover, and they laughed and danced until they grew old, and their students have made a big name for themselves all up and down the coast. They’re brilliant performers, and they’re always welcome…unless some local sage knows about the history of Dancing Dragon Bay, in which case they’re often politely encouraged to move on to the next town.

Dancing Tsunami Stylists can wield Mauls, Tetsubos, Great Axes, Staves, and Scythes, as well as their artifact equivalents. The style cannot be practiced while wearing armor, or while unarmed. They benefit from high ratings in Appearance, Performance, Dodge, and Athletics-all things covered in their usual training regimens.

Burning Feet Excitement
    Cost: 4m Mins: Martial Arts 2, Essence 1
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Crippling
    Duration: Scene, Stackable
    Prerequisite Charms: None

A dancer twirling and gyrating on a long pole isn’t a sight that inspires fear among the uninitiated, and the Dancing Tsunami stylist lets them get close enough to regret their mistake. This charm supplements a Withering attack against an opponent who has Rushed the Martial Artist on their last action, or who has an Intimacy towards the martial artist. If the attack deals 5+ damage, the martial artist feints with the business end of her weapon before striking her opponent’s feet or legs with its shaft, breaking toes, bruising tendons, deforming metal boots, or otherwise inflicting a -2 penalty to all attempts to Rush, Disengage, Rise From Prone, or take other combat movement actions the storyteller deems are appropriate to penalize based on the injury. Penalties from further uses of this charm stack.

Harmless Foam Defense
    Cost: 3m Mins: Martial Arts 1, Essence 1
    Keywords:
    Duration: Instant

The surf is relentless-if it fails to batter down its foes, it just rolls out and comes roaring in again, over and over, forever. This charm supplements an attack. If the martial artist fails to overcome her opponent’s Defense, she gains +1 Evasion for the rest of the round. If her attack was Decisive, she may ignore the normal Initiative penalty for missing, as she whirls herself into a more advantageous position.

Sparkling Sands Retreat
    Cost: 7m Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords:

Rolling with the force of her opponent’s blows onto the lever that is her weapon, the Hammer Dancer flings herself tumbling out of her opponent’s reach. She makes a reflexive Disengage action. She gains 1 Initiative for every threshold success on the Disengage roll.

Mastery: The Disengage action does not count as the Martial Artist’s movement action for the round.

Dancing Tsunami Form:
    Cost: 8m Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Form, Mastery
    Duration: One Scene
    Prerequisite Charms: Crashing Foam Defense, Sparkling Sands Retreat, Burning Feet Excitement

Using the anchor of her weapon as a counterweight, the martial artist whirls into a dazzling spinning dance, abruptly changing her grip to alter her momentum and send herself hurtling in unexpected directions. She waives the normal Defense penalty for making Smashing attacks, and adds +1 to her evasion.

Mastery: Whenever the martial artist would knock an opponent back one range band with a Smashing attack, instead they are knocked back two range bands.
    Special Activation Rules: Whenever an opponent successfully Rushes her, the martial artist may reflexively activate Dancing Tsunami Form.

Dazzling Shells Allure
    Cost: 6m, 1wp Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2
    Keywords: Psyche
    Prerequisite Charms: Dancing Tsunami Form

Twirling desperately away from her opponent, the martial artist away from her opponent, the martial artist appears to stumble, or to be unexpectedly halted in her retreat by the suddenly problematic weight of her massive weapon. For a moment, she loses her untouchable grace and presents utter vulnerability. She makes an Inspire roll using (Appearance+Performance) against one or more enemies that can see her to impel them to take advantage of the opening. Each enemy whose Resolve is beaten cannot move away from her, and is in fact compelled to use his next turn to Rush her. Once a given target has resisted this influence with Willpower, he’s immune to the compulsion to Rush her for the rest of the scene, but still cannot move away from her without disengaging. For each opponent whose Resolve she overcomes, the martial artist gains 1 Initiative.

Vengeful Depths Pirouette
    Cost: 4m Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Clash, Terrestrial, Mastery, Decisive-Only
    Prerequisite Charms: Dazzling Shells Allure

There are beautiful places no man should tread, and it is the prerogative of nature to smite those who do for their hubris. One of these places is up onto the stage when a master is dancing! The martial artist whirls to make a reflexive Clash attack, waiving the normal Initiative cost of attempting a Smashing attack. Against any opponent who has Rushed her this round, she adds her (Appearance/2, rounded up) in non-charm bonus dice on the attack roll.

Terrestrial: This Clash counts as the martial artist’s attack for the turn, and she cannot make another. If she’s already attacked this turn, then it counts as her attack for next turn.
    Mastery: Each subsequent use of this charm in the same round cumulatively reduces the mote cost by 1, to a minimum of 1m.

Roaring Black Wall Surmounts Heaven
    Cost: 6m Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3
    Keywords: Decisive-Only
    Prerequisite Charms: Dazzling Shells Allure

Smashing the ground, the martial artist hurls herself into the air and toward her opponent, spinning along with her weapon in an inescapable, heartbreakingly beautiful, and bone-breakingly deadly whirligig of destruction. She rushes an enemy with (Appearance) bonus dice. If the rushed foe provokes her reflexive movement, she may move two range bands toward him instead of one. This explicitly allows her to launch herself skyward to target flying or airborne enemies.

If the rushed enemy does not provoke her reflexive movement, then on her next turn she may make an unblockable Decisive attack against him, adding the threshold successes from her Rush as bonus dice on her attack roll. If she has rushed a flying opponent, regardless of whether she is able to use this attack, she does not fall to earth until the end of her next round, and she takes no damage upon landing so long as she still has her weapon to take the brunt of the impact and make a small crater.

Death Races Upriver
    Cost: 8m, 1WP Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3
    Keywords: Decisive-Only, Mastery
    Prerequisite Charms: Vengeful Depths Pirouette

Sometimes, a terrible wave will bypass a city fortified against the wrath of the sea, and roll upriver to destroy villages far from the ocean. Sometimes, a generous dancer will descend into the audience, ignoring many to devote her attention to a favored few. Either way, it goes badly when some are spared and the full power of nature is focused on those remaining. This charm creates a Decisive attack against up to (Appearance) opponents within Medium range. The martial artist hurls her weapon as hard as she can and holds on, flinging herself along with it and controlling her flight with the recoil of her powerful blows, smashing her way between foes with increasing force.

She rolls to hit each opponent in order, and for each opponent she misses she gains 2 Initiative. Once she has determined who is hit, she may divide her Initiative between them however she likes before rolling damage, so long as she allocates at least 3 Initiative to each opponent. After she resets to Base Initiative, if she performed a Rush action on this turn or on her last turn, she immediately gains 3 Initiative for each of her opponents that she knocked prone or hurled at least one range band with a Smashing Attack.

This charm may be used only once per battle, unless reset by being hit by a decisive ranged attack.

Mastery: Any Initiative the martial artist devotes to damaging a Battle Group is immediately doubled.

World Devouring Undertow Impact
    Cost: 10m, 1WP Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 4
    Keywords: Decisive-Only
    Prerequisite Charms: Roaring Black Wall Surmounts Heaven, Death Races Upriver

The martial artist flips herself and her weapon high into the air and there is a moment of strange quiet while they dance, free of gravity, over the battlefield. Then she comes down, and her weapon comes down, and there is a vast and terrible noise, and the land itself ripples with the power of her blow, forming a crater and sending a wave of force out to Medium range. She makes an unblockable attack roll against all targets within Medium range, including allies. Each character hit must make a (Dex+Athletics) roll against her attack or be knocked prone. Battle groups with Might 0 fail this roll automatically.

After the wave of force passes over, it rolls back in towards the martial artist, dragging people, small buildings, and usually a great deal of rubble to where she stands at the center of the destruction. This supernatural undertow creates an Environmental Hazard equivalent to being dragged and rolled under a tidal wave (3L/Rd, Diff 5, usually Str+Athletics) that will last for (Appearance) rounds. Anyone who fails the Hazard roll is dragged one range band closer to the Martial Artist, which counts as Rushing the martial artist for any Dancing Tsunami Style charms. Anyone who is Prone automatically fails the Hazard roll. Rising from prone within the undertow hazard requires a Str+Athletics roll against Difficulty (Appearance/2, round up). If this charm is used at sea, on the seashore, or in areas filled with large amounts of fine sand or other liquid-like substances, anyone trapped in the hazard may begin drowning or suffocating at the ST’s discretion, as described on page 232 of the Exalted Core. Similarly, if the debris in the area is unusually dangerous (armories full of swords, First Age landmines, herds of wyld-twisted porcupines, etc), the ST is within their rights to alter or increase the severity of the Hazard.

This charm may be used only once per battle unless reset by Crashing an opponent or setting foot in a large lake or ocean.
    Last edited by Wise Old Guru; 08-18-2018, 09:09 PM.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
    -Roger Zelazny

Excellent work, sir. I may need to steal this for my next martial artist. Did you intend this style to synergize with White Reaper or is that just a happy accident?

Comment

Originally posted by Dietaku View Post
      Excellent work, sir. I may need to steal this for my next martial artist. Did you intend this style to synergize with White Reaper or is that just a happy accident?
      Given the context, I think it's very intentional.

Comment

I could be misreading this, since text strips away tone, but "You want a spinny flippy hammer style? Here!" sounds irritated to me. Were you growing tired of my attempts, or am I completely off?

Regardless, I appreciate the effort.

The backstory is funny and interesting, the names are imaginative, and you even surprised me by using Meru's stumbling falls as inspiration for a legitimate Style Charm.

I like some of what these Charms do thematically and mechanically, and dislike other things. I'll need to come back later with a more complete review.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

I am the opposite of irritated with you-you reminded me of some fun times playing Legend if Dragoon back in the day, and Meru (who I often equipped with counterattack items, at least in my game) was fun inspiration.

I look forward to your complete review.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

-Roger Zelazny

Comment

I'm not a mechanics guy, so I feel like I can't help you with useful critique, but I love the themes of the style, and will be using it in a game of mine.

Comment

Burning Feet Excitement

I'd place it as too good for an intro charm. I'd probably lower it to -1 and not stackable without mastery. Even then, I'm not sure. There are a bunch of other intro charms which are just like shining point into the void, which without a mastery effect is just a -1 effect for the turn. I'm not sure why this is scenelong when it should be instant with an effect noted to only last a scene.

Harmless Foam Defense

This feels more in line with an intro charm.

Sparkling Sands Retreat

7m feels too much for a non-automatic reflexive disengage effect. I'd probably put it at 2m, 1wp for the fact that you can regain initiative from this charm.

Dancing Tsunami Form

This is fine. I don't really have anything to say about it.

Dazzling Shells Allure

Is it just 1 willpower to resist? Seems a little weak.

Vengeful Depths Pirouette

This is rather powerful. I'm not sure if you should be able to just clash as many enemies you want but I haven't actually examined clash charms as much as other offensive options. It should still have an initiative cost in my opinion.

Roaring Black Wall Surmounts Heaven

I'm not sure why this is scenelong. This should probably also have an additional cost of 3 a or i. It feels a little too good for just 6 motes.

Death Races Upriver

Feels a little too strong for Dragon Blooded so I'd add a terrestrial version but it is limited to one attack.

World Devouring Undertow Impact

As cool as this effect is. It feels like it's extremely powerful and beyond the scope of normal MA. It makes an unblockable attack to all beings out to medium. Then it creates an environmental effect. I don't think it's appropriate for this level of MA when compared to water dragon's pinnacle or any of the other ones. The charm should probably just cause an attack that forces everyone to rush you.

So for an overview issue, I feel like it's a little bit too offensive. You have charms that force a rush, but no ways to deal with onslaught penalties. It's rather crippling. I'm not sure I like a clash charm that just lets you clash as many people as you want. That pinnacle feels way too good for a normal MA charm. I would compare it to Water dragon. Which kind of does what you want but it knocks people away. It's also limited to people who have built 20+ initiative and it only does it in a 90 degree arc.

Style's pretty good otherwise.
              Last edited by Epimetheus; 08-19-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

In a number of places, your Charms speak of opponents Rushing the martial artist, but I believe what you want is to refer to the Move action. A Rush action on its own doesn't move a character anywhere, and cannot be used beyond short range regardless of any social influence affecting them.

Comment

I based World Devouring Undertow impact on Earth Dragon style's area attack. It has a bigger range, but it doesn't deal damage on its own, just knocks folks prone and makes a hazard that can be resisted to no effect by folks who are good at Athletics.

I think you're right on Burning Feet, I was basing it on Solar Thrown, which is probably a bit strong for an intro MA charm. I may tweak it to make the attack a Gambit instead...

Sparkling Sands Retreat is stronger than it looks- the intent is to use it for a chance to reflexively get out a range band and no-sell a melee attack, a pretty solid defense if you're as invested in combat movement as you will be if you're using this style. It also encourages your opponent to Rush to keep close to you... It's not a Perfect, but I am a little wary of making it too cheap. I will think on it and probably end up splitting the difference and making it a bit cheaper but adding a WO cost as you suggest.

Dazzling Shells allure's resistance cost is based on the hypnosis effect from Wood Dragon Style. It's not limited in number of targets, so I'm ok keeping it easy to resist. You'll have somebody who fails, assuming you're fighting a group.

I think you're right on Vengeful Depths Pirouette. The intended use is to give yourself an offense-based defense for when you get rushed by the five guys you just tempted in. I may limit it to ONLY letting you use it on a certain target class, like folks who have rushed you, it's not like the style doesn't have plenty of stuff to set you up for that...

Roaring Black Wall is based on the Mantis leaping rush attack charm and you're right, it oughta be a duration of Instant. I will double check on the costing, I always have trouble appropriately gauging costs.

On Death Races upriver, I agree it's a bit strong for DBs, but I am pretty attached to the bouncing between foes with hammer blows thing...how do you feel about getting rid of the 2 Initiative bonus for missing and a Terrestrial keyword that stops the attack chain on a miss, so if you whiff on Attack 2 you don't get to make Attacks 3-5?

-Roger Zelazny

Comment

I wonder if Dazzling Shells Allure shouldn't be something you could do whenever you actually fail at something, like missing with an attack or being successfully struck. Especially if getting hit knocks you prone or out of the range band.

Comment

I don’t see any trick in this Style for improving upon or compensating for the low accuracy of heavy weapons, similar to how Tiger Style works very hard to compensate for the low damage of its light weapons.

Tiger Style and Fire Dragon Style both have Charms to double 9s and more than 9s on their attack rolls, which is made more powerful by their high Accuracy. White Reaper uses less accurate weapons and also has a dice-doubler for attack rolls.

Does this Style need a Charm to disengage when its only mundane method of attack is close range? Given its power to smash, making other people move away (and then chasing after the one you want) seems more fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                        I don’t see any trick in this Style for improving upon or compensating for the low accuracy of heavy weapons, similar to how Tiger Style works very hard to compensate for the low damage of its light weapons.

Tiger Style and Fire Dragon Style both have Charms to double 9s and more than 9s on their attack rolls, which is made more powerful by their high Accuracy. White Reaper uses less accurate weapons and also has a dice-doubler for attack rolls.

Does this Style need a Charm to disengage when its only mundane method of attack is close range? Given its power to smash, making other people move away (and then chasing after the one you want) seems more fitting.
                        I was looking for ways to mitigate your low accuracy by giving charms that benefit you even if you miss, giving you initiative/defense boosts. I am not entirely happy with how it turned out, though-it may need a few more early-tree charms that help you do cool things instead of just mitigation of failures...

As for withdrawal, it's true tactically I guess...but I really want the style to flow with the image of the sea rushing way out and exposing the seabed to tempt explorers before the tsunami rushes in to destroy them, and alternating between retreating and charging has a very wave-like rhythm that I want to keep. I wanted a high mobility hammer smasher build, the opposite of Earth Dragon which already sits still and whacks your enemies away from you.

I will probably revisit this and make some tweaks in the next week or two.

-Roger Zelazny

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post
                          I based World Devouring Undertow impact on Earth Dragon style's area attack. It has a bigger range, but it doesn't deal damage on its own, just knocks folks prone and makes a hazard that can be resisted to no effect by folks who are good at Athletics.
                          I would add a high initiative to use this and add like 5-10 more motes. A lot of high impact moves of MA cost quite a bit.

I think you're right on Burning Feet, I was basing it on Solar Thrown, which is probably a bit strong for an intro MA charm. I may tweak it to make the attack a Gambit instead...
                          A gambit could work.

I think you're right on Vengeful Depths Pirouette. The intended use is to give yourself an offense-based defense for when you get rushed by the five guys you just tempted in. I may limit it to ONLY letting you use it on a certain target class, like folks who have rushed you, it's not like the style doesn't have plenty of stuff to set you up for that...
                          I'd probably make it just one big aoe attack against all enemies in close combat to all those who rushed you this turn.

On Death Races upriver, I agree it's a bit strong for DBs, but I am pretty attached to the bouncing between foes with hammer blows thing...how do you feel about getting rid of the 2 Initiative bonus for missing and a Terrestrial keyword that stops the attack chain on a miss, so if you whiff on Attack 2 you don't get to make Attacks 3-5?
                          I think it's mostly fine I'd just limit the attacks for terrestrials to about 3. It might be cheaper than other moves though. I haven't actually looked at MA extra attack abilities like this. I've seen a few solar ones but it's inappropriate to gauge it without closer inspection. There are a lot of charms in this edition and remember them all on hand isn't as easy anymore.

Comment

I love this so, so much. I don't have enough experience with Ex3 to offer a better critique than the fine folks here have already done, so I'm just going to list off the things that make me happy.

I love the backstory. I love the monk back-chatting a Sidereal with a parody of the scriptures of the Maidens. I REALLY want to know what her original Destiny was that a Chosen of Endings wiped out a small town in rage when she refused it.

Every single name is perfect. I love the progression of the names from "hey, we're having a fun day at the beach - look, pretty shells!" to "WATERY DEATH WILL DOOM EVERYTHING YOU LOVE."

I love how the interaction of the Smashing attacks with effects to compel rushes cause your foes to advance and retreat like the sea, helpless in the grasp of your tidal force.

I love the images it conjures. I can imagine a water aspect standing on the surface of a calm lake and bringing their goremaul down, causing a tidal wave to impress the earth aspect they're courting.

There's already a character taking shape around this style in my head. She has aquamarine pigtails and a grand goremaul and she wasn't there a minute ago - how'd you do that? She's wearing cut-off jeans and about half a t-shirt with no shoes, and she hasn't bothered to brush the sand off from when she was sunbathing. The goremaul has a black jade haft and a big blocky hammerhead made of solid tourmaline. I can see her using the head as a counterweight to fling herself around the battlefield, then bringing the hammer around effortlessly to smack people into the surf. It's delightfully ridiculous. I need to use her in something.

Thank you for this, Guru. It made my week.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

I also like the water imagery, and think that might be better for capturing the ponderously graceful movements of a hammer dancer, since water has more mass than wind.

Even so, the lightness of air helps with the idea of leaping high into the air to come down and smash people, to say nothing of tossing them into the air (from whence they come crashing down) like a tornado.

I'll post a messy version of my own vision today or tomorrow, to better communicate what sorts of things I'd like to be able to do with a Style like this.

I don't think any Charm in this Style should base their effects on Appearance, besides Dazzling Shell Allure. Performance would make more sense. Performance is the skill of dancing, and Appearance has little to do with feats of dexterity.

I'm not feeling up to weighing the mechanical balance of the capstone Charm right now, but I do like the image it is trying to represent.

I'm not a fan of the image of Death Races Upriver. As a Charm, such magical action is fine, but there are more "physics-plausible" tricks I'd like an "agile hammer" Style to use instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X