Where was the Scarlet Empress?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katamari_Naneke
    started a topic Where was the Scarlet Empress?

Where is the Scarlet Empress?
    Where did the Scarlet Empress used to be when it was a mystery and -

Ok, what I'm getting at is, what ideas did people have about where the Empress was back before it was defined in canon? There's things I like and don't like about her being kidnapped for the Reclamation, but I got into Exalted during 2e, I've seen heaps of discussion of that as canon and little else. I remember hearing this group talking about their game before I got into Exalted, and their idea was one of the things that drew my interest to the setting. They took turns storytelling, basically playing 3 games in the same setting - one was a group of Dragon-Blooded looking for the Empress, One was a group of Solars looking for the Empress, and one was a group of Abyssals looking for the Empress. They planned to play through a few stories of that and then decide which group would be the player characters in the final plot arc.

I played in a game once where she returned, and her story was "I was kidnapped by demons, but I freed myself and won these 50 totally-not-anathema servants from my captor in the process," giving the wedding guard a cover to act in Creation. That was kind of cool, but my understanding of the core qualities of the Scarlet Empress is that she's A) pretty badass and B) dedicated to protecting Creation (albeit ruthlessly.) So I find it hard to rationalise a plotline (for a game I'm running, I mean) where she's serving the Yozis willingly, or under their control. Maybe I could do something where she's pretending to co-operate while she prepares some stratagem to fight back, but that's a lot of time & focus on her in a game that's not necessarily going to be centered on the Realm.

Anyway, what other alternatives have people come up with?

• Accelerator
    replied
    I remember an idea on rpg.net.

The sword of creation was for defending Creation itself from any threat. Any threat. And here's the catch.

Even a mortal can open it, as long as her motivation was 'protect creation'.

When the Scarlet Empress entered it, so long ago, her desire was only to protect Creation. To halt the Balorian Crusade and weld the Dragonblooded together into a single whole to smash apart the monsters.

But then, years and years of politicking, of court, of despotism, has changed her motivation to 'ensure the continuation of the Scarlet Dynasty' or 'protect the realm'. And now the Sword no longer opens for her.

You want to find the Scarlet Empress? Don't look in the Threshold or Malfeas. She's on Mount Meru, gazing upon the entirety of Creation using the most powerful Awareness Charms she has, trying to change her motivation so that she can use the Sword again.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Zealot_Vedas View Post
    Two theories:

1: She's retired peacefully somewhere in the threshold, living a normal life incognito. (My personal headcanon)

2: Whatever force was fueling her longevity finally gave out, and she died of old age. The years caught up to her body immediately after her death, and she crumbled to dust.
    This makes me want to do an opposite angle where here longevity is running strong but she is becoming more and more worried about the gap in prowess between her and her dynasty starting to shrink as her scions grow. So she spent 1k+ spiritual journey in Zenmu/Beyond/Faraway to work on developing some edges to distance herself from the other Dragonblooded, as well as work on methods to get one over the Sidereals that try to reign her in, and perhaps most of all work on a method to sustain her dominance without relying on the Sword of Creation which is finally showing signs of sputtering and essentially will cause an apocalypse on the Blessed Isle if used.

Leave a comment:

• Zealot_Vedas
    replied
    Two theories:

1: She's retired peacefully somewhere in the threshold, living a normal life incognito. (My personal headcanon)

2: Whatever force was fueling her longevity finally gave out, and she died of old age. The years caught up to her body immediately after her death, and she crumbled to dust.

Leave a comment:

• Lundgren
    replied
    Heh... Looks like I will be talking with the player mentioned in my previous post later this week. Her husband have also mentioned he might be interested in joining the game. So I might find out what her Redness will end up doing

Leave a comment:

• Lundgren
    replied
    Not sure how much more there is to tell about the Empress in my game. She is mainly a NPC that I kept track of, because even if she isn't becoming directly involved, she can still makes ripples that affect the PCs.

In my game, she was a low ranking officer in a force lead by her father. She became an officer due to family expectations, but it was sorcery she was interested in; and a nerd when it comes to the Forbidden Manse. So when a hero (a person with a load of destinies from the Sids) put together a team to breach the place, one in the team mentioned he knew someone that had read a lot about the place.

When she brought it up with her father, he refused her to leave as he needed everyone if they would be able to hold, and releasing whatever the Forbidden Manse might hold would be even worse than just rolling over for the Wyld invasion. The result of their little discussion ended with him telling her that if she abandoned her post, she was no daughter of her. As the country she came from was part of the land lost to the Wyld, she honored her father's "last wish" by giving up her name. So instead she instead used the nickname her compatriots gave her on the way to the Manse; Scarlet.

She was never meant to save the world. She was just lucky enough to do it. So the smart scheming leader of the group breaking the Manse, and officially disappeared a couple of years after she showed up on a field, obviously has to be another person in her mind.

The father of one of the PCs, a high ranking DB officer that died in the Great Contagion, might have known the Empress father. I haven't decided they knew each other or how well, but both fathers were higher ranking Shogunate officers in roughly the same area. As the PC's newly exalted Dragon-Blooded brother is being raised to lead and rule in the old ways of the Shogunate, that might draw her Redness attention at some point.

The game was only a few sessions in when it went on hiatus/went belly up. But even if I can't revive that game, I might reuse quite a bit of those ideas for the Empress if I ever get another game going.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    Wait. Game? This is interesting. Tell us more.

Leave a comment:

• Lundgren
    replied
    Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
    thought: was this done to er by accident? as an attack?

or was this done by someone trying to protect her
    For my game, it was Chejop Kejak trying to clean up some potential future problem, as he didn't thought his successors would be able to handle the Empress. The plan was to kill her in a way that wouldn't create a powerful ghost. As she disappeared from Fate, and no indication of her being in the Underworld, he thought he was successful (he was aiming for a civil war, just not one where there also are a lot of Solars running around in Creation).

Thanks to her keeping a low profile, so no ripples in the Loom, and Solars popping up everywhere, no one have noticed the new thread in the Loom.

She knows she has somehow more power than before, but she thinks that's Wyld taint from when she was gone.

While there is a small chance I might be able to resurrect this particular game, I'm currently counting it as dead.

The plans I had for her... Well, I'm running sandboxy games, so it depends on a lot of what happens around her and how she perceive it.

If she believes the world is safe (or safer without her, or she won't matter anyway) and there is no risk she won't have a wyld abomination as an offspring (or feel she would be able to "handle" it), she might start a family. If someone comes along and she perceives them to be a threat, she might deal with them. It might be the PCs, it might be a bunch of entitled DBs hunting the PCs, or something completely different. Sooner or later, things will change for her, because in a few years she can't stick around and pretend to be a mere mortal as she doesn't age as one.

Leave a comment:

• Tenkage
    replied
    Prior to the release from the Jade Prison, there were still a few unbound Solar Exaltations. I had her youngest non-DB son Exalt as a Solar Eclipse. He fled when he realized what he was. She pursued without telling anyone what she was doing. After a while, he realized she wasn't pursuing anymore. But nobody knew what had happened to her, only that she's been missing for quite some time.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied

Accident. More exciting.

Leave a comment:

• Solar
    replied
    Do you know, I never even thought about what happened. I kind of like the idea that nobody knows! A great mystery. If a character was playing the ultimate magistrate detective type though, I'd seriously consider making it their ultimate case.

Leave a comment:

• vampire hunter D
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied

Like an alien Exalted?
    Nah.

Raksi.

Leave a comment:

• vampire hunter D
    replied
    Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

Ah. Now it is a proper soap opera.

Now we need a romantic rival.
    Like an alien Exalted?

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    Originally posted by Katamari_Naneke View Post
    A mortal descendant destined to become a Sidereal, who'll then join the Gold Faction?
    Ah. Now it is a proper soap opera.

Now we need a romantic rival. And a few rebellions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X