[PEACH] Harmonious Godslayer Style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PEACH] Harmonious Godslayer Style

I was feeling inspired recently, so I wrote a thing.

Harmonious Godslayer Style

Named after the exploits of its most notable practitioner, Harmonious Godslayer Style is an art that has been almost entirely lost to the mists that enshroud history, surviving to the modern day in bits and pieces, its core tenets inspiring the choreography of many action movies.

This style's practitioners are skilled singers, for they draw upon their own Heartsong for strength in battle. The most powerful practitioners are deeply in tune with themselves and with the Heartsong of Creation, and are said to have been capable of fantastical feats, though these have passed into myth in the current era, and who can say what truly occurred?

Godslayer Weapons: Harmonious Godslayer Style attacks are made unarmed. Stylists generally spend the entire battle singing a single song, timing their strikes with high notes in their song.

Godslayer Armor: Harmonious Godslayer Style is compatible with Light armor.

Complementary Abilities: Performance is integral to the battle prowess of the Harmonious Godslayer, as this Style revolves around wielding the power of song to destroy their enemies.

Awakening the Heartsong
    Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1; Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Mastery
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: None

Opening battle with her song, the Godslayer declares herself to her foes. This Charm allows the Stylist to Join Battle with a (Charisma + Performance) roll rather than a (Wits + Awareness) roll. In addition, the Stylist may reveal one Intimacy relevant to the scene to gain bonus dice equal to its Intensity to her Join Battle roll.

Mastery: The Martial Artist may enhance her roll with Singing Charms as if it was a Social Influence roll.

Heartsong Strike
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Dual, Mastery
    Prerequisite Charms: Awakening the Heart Song

The Stylist's song allows her to pierce the hearts of those who oppose her. She reduces the soak of her target by (Performance), or ignores (Performance) Hardness on a decisive damage roll.

Mastery: If the Godslayer has witnessed her opponent acting against one of her Major or Defining intimacies, increase the amount of soak reduced by (Intensity/2, round down).

Find the Foe's Heart
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1; Type: Simple
    Keywords: Terrestrial
    Duration: One scene
    Prerequisite Charms: Awakening the Heart Song

The Godslayer's song resounds throughout the battlefield, such that the songs of her opponents are stoked to their heights. Find the Foe's Heart allows the Martial Artist to make a (Charisma + Performance) roll against the Guile of every hidden character in the scene. Success causes the target to be revealed to the Martial Artist for the rest of the scene.

Special Activation Rules: If Harmonious Godslayer Form is active, the Stylist may flurry this Charm with an attack as if it was a Performance action.

Terrestrial: The duration of this Charm is instant - any hidden combatants are revealed only until they successfully conceal themselves once more.

Harmonious Godslayer Form
    Cost: 8m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Simple
    Keywords: Form, Mastery
    Duration: One scene
    Prerequisite Charms: Find the Foe's Heart, Heartsong Strike

Expressing their Heartsong to its fullest, the Martial Artist draws strength from her truest self. While this Charm is in effect, the Godslayer may flurry Performance-based social influence rolls with unarmed attacks without the usual penalties, and may roll (Charisma+Performance) instead of (Dexterity + Athletics) for the purposes of combat movement, adding bonus dice equal to the (Intensity) of any relevant intimacy that her opponent opposes.

Finally, if the Godslayer also knows Silver-Voiced Nightingale Style, she considers attacks made with its Kiais to be unarmed attacks for the purposes of Harmonious Godslayer Style.

However, this expression of their innermost self means that any intimacies that the Stylist has that are relevant to the current scene become immediately obvious to all participants - while she sings her Heartsong, it's impossible to hide her true self from those that witness her song.

Mastery: The Martial Artist may avoid revealing a number of intimacies relevant to the scene equal to their (Manipulation). Choose these intimacies when activating the Form.

Special Activation Rules: Whenever the Martial Artist succeeds at a Withering attack that upholds one of her Major or Defining intimacies, she may activate Harmonious Godslayer Form reflexively.

Fists Flying Like Hammers
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Decisive-Only, Mastery
    Prerequisite Charms: Harmonious Godslayer Form

Channeling the furor of her song, the Godslayer strikes with tremendous force, causing her foes to be blown away from the force of her song. When the Martial Artists successfully deals her opponent decisive damage, she hurls her opponent a number of range bands equal to (Half the Damage inflicted, minimum one), to a maximum number of bands equal to the (Intensity) of an intimacy

Mastery: Should the victim strike an object before flying their full distance, they suffer damage as if falling from a Short distance.

Harmonic Conversion Defense
    Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Dual, Mastery, Terrestrial
    Prerequisite Charms: Harmonic Godslayer Form

Drawing the force of her opponent's assault into her song, the Godslayer draws it into the fury of her song, disrupting her enemy's technique and using it to empower her own. This Charm adds one to the Martial Artist's Parry. In addition, should her opponent fail to strike her, she gains a number of bonus dice on her next attack equal to the difference between her defense and her opponent's success on the attack roll.

Mastery: Dice gained this way are non-Charm.
    Terrestrial: The Stylist may add only (Essence) bonus dice.

Blazing Tempo
    Cost: 8m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Mastery, Terrestrial
    Prerequisite Charms: Fists Flying Like Hammers

Controlling the tempo of the battle through her song, the Stylist keeps pace with her foe even as she goes flying away from her. This Charm may be activated after sending her opponent flying through Fists Flying Like Hammers, allowing her to move immediately to her victim's new location, and attack with a Reflexive Decisive attack with a base damage of the number of dice on her initial attack that failed to show successes. After this attack, her initiative resets regardless of its success or failure, and she gains bonus initiative equal to the (Rating) of an intimacy that her opponent opposes.

Terrestrial: The Godslayer does not gain the initiative bonus upon reset.

Thunder Smashing Technique
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Clash, Withering-Only
    Prerequisite Charms: Harmonic Conversion Defense

Meeting her opponent's song head on with her harmony, she smashes their attack away with a thunderous roar. The Godslayer makes a reflexive withering clash attack. The stylist gains no initiative from any damage caused by this attack, though she gains any bonuses from crashing her opponent normally.

While Harmonious Godslayer Form is active, she may instead make her clash attack with (Charisma+Performance). If she succeeds on the clash, she makes a reflexive Instill action against her opponent using the same result. If the clash crashes her opponent, she automatically meets the reset condition for Instilling the same intimacy, and her instill automatically overcomes her opponent's resolve.

This Charm may be used only once per scene, unless the Stylist resets it by landing a Decisive attack that upholds a major or decisive intimacy.

Godslaying Finale
    Cost: 15m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Simple
    Keywords: Decisive-Only, Terrestrial
    Prerequisite Charms: Blazing Tempo, Thunder Smashing Technique

As her song reaches its finale, the Godslayer focuses her song into one last attack, striking out with all of the force of her heartsong made manifest to pierce through her opponent's heart. She rolls an attack with her (Charisma+Resolve) against her opponent's Resolve. Should this attack connect, she adds a number of automatic levels of damage equal to the (Rating) of an intimacy that her opponent opposes. If the Godslayer reduces her opponent to incapacitated with this attack, it rends them from existence, killing them with no hope of recovery, or reformation.

This Charm may be used only once per scene.

Terrestrial: If the victim of this Charm would normally be able to reform, they may do so, though their reformation is delayed for a year and a day.

Godslayer's Mercy
    Cost: (1 wp); Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 4; Type: Permanent
    Keywords: None
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: Godslayer's Crescendo

Finishing her song with an open hand instead of a closed fist, in choosing not to kill an opponent that she has dead to rights, she leaves a fragment of her song within her target. Should she roll sufficient successes to incapacitate her opponent with Godslaying Finale, she may instead pay one willpower. Should she do so, she instead deals just enough levels of damage to her opponent to reduce her opponent to their last level of health prior to incapacitated. For her mercy, her target gains a positive major tie to the Stylist, with the precise context chosen by the target. This intimacy can not be eroded voluntarily until the target has repaid the favor, by coming to the stylist's aid in such a way as to save her life.

Last edited by MysticTemplar; 09-05-2018, 05:38 PM.

Is this based on anything? What are we supposed to visualize?

With Tiger Style, we look to Tiger Style Kung Fu. With Single Point Style, we look to Kenshin or any number of anime characters.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

The inspiration for the style is Tachibana Hibiki from Symphogear - it's intended to be a much more aggressive way of turning song into battle than Nightingale is.

Comment

Originally posted by MysticTemplar View Post
        The inspiration for the style is Tachibana Hibiki from Symphogear - it's intended to be a much more aggressive way of turning song into battle than Nightingale is.
        I had a feeling it might be her. But since she was just one of several magical girls of her kind, each with a different weapon and combat style...

Have you considered designing a set of artifact armor with a number of shared Evocations, with unique Evocations representing the different in weapon/style?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
          Have you considered designing a set of artifact armor with a number of shared Evocations, with unique Evocations representing the different in weapon/style?
          Way ahead of you.

I want to reconfigure this a bit for Alchemical rework.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
          Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

I recently asked Vance about the ability to perma-kill spirits. He said(roughly) that making it too easy throws off the setting. I'd recommend using the same restrictions as the Immaculate MAs and have the use of the entire charm tree only be available to Exalted or those not bound by the terrestrial keyword. Also ditch the terrestrial restrictions on the ones you have. If you really want God-Bloods with essence to use this, then I'd say lock the spirit perma-killing behind the terrestrial keyword.

Aside from that the style looks good. Very thematic

Hi, I'm Smiles With Fangs. I backed Exalted 3rd edition, but I can't make the image I have smaller so here's a kitten

I made some Liminal Charms here I made some Evocations for Wood Dragon's Claws here I'm working on a splat for the Moonsilver Warriors here

Comment

So I'll be honest, I'd interpreted the Nightingale capstone as permanently killing spirits, so it felt like something that MA could do at the top end.

You do raise a good point, and it isn't like putting Terrestrial on the permanent death stops DBs from using it if they are sufficiently determined, so...

Comment

Working...
              X