Sidereal scanning ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidereal scanning ?

Hello, I come here with a doubt, apparently, with sidereal charms ( at leas tin 2ed ), sidereals can pretty much see anything they want in the loom of fate, all they have to do is ask, wait a few days, and they can locate anyone in the loom of fate ( who is inside fate ).
    So, my doubt comes here, how comes that the bronze faction can't track any solar and just outright kill them or lead the wyld hunt to them ?.
    Last edited by Cruzwindt; 09-02-2018, 07:16 PM.

Originally posted by Cruzwindt View Post
    Hello, I come here with a doubt, apparently, with sidereal charms ( at leas tin 2ed ), sidereals can pretty much see anything they want in the loom of fate, all they have to do is ask, wait a few days, and they can locate anyone in the loom of fate ( who is inside fate ).
    So, my doubt comes here, how comes that the bronze faction can't track any solar and just outright kill them or lead the wyld hunt to them ?.
    It doesn't work.

Method I: Do it yourself
    (1) Gazing into the Loom has a chance to drive you insane.
    (2) Locating a specific thread is not trivial. It requires already knowing where and when the subject was at several significant locations to narrow the search.
    (3) The reliability of forecasts about exalted is limited.
    (4) Spiders get annoyed.

Method II: Request Files from the Bureau of Destiny.
    (1) High ranking members of the Bureau of Destiny can seal off access to files on anyone or anything connected to their purview. Gold and Bronze faction heads have sealed off access to destinies of Solar Exalted and Wyld Hunts respecively.
    Last edited by Greyman; 09-02-2018, 08:01 PM.

Comment

It works.

A Bronze Faction Sidereal can figure out that the newly Exalted Lunar she's hunting is going to be in Cherak next week. If she's lucky and there's already a Wild Hunt nearby, she can get them mobilized. Unfortunately, even though they don't have Loom access, other folks can do astrology the old fashioned way by reading tea leaves or looking at the stars. So Gerd Marrow Eater also knows about it, and knows his newbie protege is in danger, and can send an infallible messenger to warn her that the Wyld Hunt was on its way. And even if she didn't have any elder support, finding a Lunar in a city is like finding a needle on Planet Haystack.

Solars are generally easy to find (except the sneaky ones), but knowing roughly where they're gonna be doesn't always mean your Wyld Hunt will catch them, or beat them...and since you have to already know about a Solar to look him up, you're generally only going after the ones who have already gotten some XP under their belts and started to make a nuisance of themselves.

Intel gets out of date fast, so unless you have a Sidereal riding with the Hunt (which is a very real risk), it's gonna get you useful generalities but no Guaranteed Wins.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
      -Roger Zelazny

Comment

Originally posted by Cruzwindt View Post
        There is a difference between tracking ANY Solar and tracking EVERY Solar.

If the Bronze Faction really put its mind to it, and the Golds didn't stop them, sure. They can hit up the Loom and track any specific Solar you care to name. And that's precisely what they did with the twelve or so Solar Exalted who existed throughout most of the Second Age.

There are now 150 Solar Exalted. That's 1.5 Solars for each and every Sidereal that exists. Not every Sidereal is a Bronze Faction adherent, and of those that are, not every one of them is sufficiently talented at reading the Loom to reliably use it in this manner.

And on top of that... I talk about this a lot, or at least I used to (there haven't been a lot of Sidereal threads of late) but it always bears repeating: Faction nonsense? Is the Sidereals hobby. It is not their job.

Non-Ronin Sidereals all have day jobs. Massively demanding day jobs, in fact. Day jobs for which there are too many tasks and not enough hands to carry them out. Faction nonsense is what they get up to outside of working hours. They have a highly limited amount of time in which to undertake Faction nonsense, of which "murder the Solars on behalf of the Realm" falls into the category of.

And all of this is just related to FINDING them. Once you find a Solar you then have to do something about them. Ever tried to kill a Solar, even a relatively newly minted one? It's fucking hard! And unlike the Solars, if you commit a Sidereal and they die, you're looking at anywhere between fifteen to as much as SEVENTY years before they're back. If you don't commit a Sidereal, the Solar might take your hit squad apart. They're great at that.

So sure, they can find any Solar. For a definition of "any." But that's the tip of a very big iceberg.

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

There was a mention in an earlier edition somewhere that the Exalted forge their own destinies, and the Loom merely keeps up if it can. I like this idea and keep it in mind.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
            There was a mention in an earlier edition somewhere that the Exalted forge their own destinies, and the Loom merely keeps up if it can. I like this idea and keep it in mind.
            The way 2e explained it, the more magic is used at any particular scene, the less accurate the Loom's predictions for that scene will be. And the Exalted use magic left and right, so any scene the Loom predicts for them is likely to not go down as predicted.

Comment

Working...
            X