Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attribute Exalted: part mutable form/ part identity issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Attribute Exalted: part mutable form/ part identity issues

    I realized upon something on the way home from work today. I was considering an odd plot for a liminal exalt to follow through on due to a stray memory from a prior part/body host. Then i realized a lot of the Lunar charms previewed do similar things with memories you have taken. And it helped cement a theme between alll of the Attribute based Exalted that i think should be considered, and likely helped give identity to these diffetent Exalt types.


    Do, being Attribute based, their physical form can easily change, and the ability to change them on a basic Excellency level is built into the 3 known Exalt types: Lunars can get go animalistic or just shapeshift bigger, Liminals are suggested to do the same with stolen body parts, and Alchemicals are built and install improvements with their previous forms.


    I wanted to add that they do similar things with their social and mental attributes in comparable methods. Lunars use traits they've copied, as would the Liminals, to bring mental and social powers to bear, taking the best of many others together to form their Excellencies. Alchemicals are required to have numerous heroic past lives to fall back on for such sources.


    But to explain this greater than sum of the parts power source, they all have some identity issues. Lunars can lose themselves in the intimacies they take on, Liminals remember stolen lives from their stolen parts. Alchemicals meanwhile have a detachment from all of their memories, so keeping connections to the human population becomes tougher over time.

    I want to explore this cross-exalt theme of identity issues and mutability of physical form both being part of, if not integral, to such Exalted.

  • #2
    I like where you're going with it.


    Check out Momentum Exalted!

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd say as a general rule that when you move away from ability based your charms become less about what you do and more focused on what you are which is bound to have some identity issues.

      It's worth noting that both Exigents we've seen if not Attribute based at least use Attribute as the basis for their Excellencies.


      Assorted homebrew goes here.
      Please help the Ex3 wiki grow. Even if it's just posting existing homebrew there so there's less chance of losing it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cryo-Seraph View Post


        So, being Attribute based, their physical form can easily change, and the ability to change them on a basic Excellency level is built into the 3 known Exalt types
        I can't really make sense of this sentence; are you referring to the actual Excellencies, or are you referring to everything past the Excellencies?


        I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

          I can't really make sense of this sentence; are you referring to the actual Excellencies, or are you referring to everything past the Excellencies?
          I just meant the Excellencies as a baseline for changes, with further charms adding descriptions as they individually require. Though you don't have to describe a physical change, it seems reasonable that muscles ripple and buff up when you use strength excellency. And later charms after seem to include more descriptions on such changes, or more likelihood to considering few previews on Lunars and nothing official on the other Attribute based Exalts yet.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lioness View Post
            I'd say as a general rule that when you move away from ability based your charms become less about what you do and more focused on what you are which is bound to have some identity issues.

            It's worth noting that both Exigents we've seen if not Attribute based at least use Attribute as the basis for their Excellencies.
            I did not realize that about the Exigents. Which actually makes my argument tougher to include them. The three recognized Attribute Exalted all have good sources of mutability, Exigents by their nature seem far less pliable, being very focused on their godly sourced theme and limited charm selections..

            Though, if all Exigents get considered in whole, there is quite a variety of types and options, just not within each Exalt. Perhaps they represent what happens when Attributed Exalts must limit themselves (or more realistically when their patron is limited)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cryo-Seraph View Post
              And later charms after seem to include more descriptions on such changes, or more likelihood to considering few previews on Lunars and nothing official on the other Attribute based Exalts yet.
              I think that, even among physically oriented things, we've thus far gotten a decent number of Lunar Charms that are basically just doing a thing well, even if several of those have Protean effects.

              I think some of these examinations are coming at it from the wrong direction, particularly since the Lunar aesthetic would have been established first, and anything in their Charms comes from that rather than the Attributes. I don't see it as Attributes implying any more mutability so much as being something that more readily hangs the aesthetic than the full range of Abilities does.

              I'd say that there can be Exalted that use Attribute Charms that aren't focused on a body modification side if it feels like their method wouldn't look right conveyed through the more specific fields of any given Ability.

              Originally posted by Cryo-seraph
              Exigents by their nature seem far less pliable, being very focused on their godly sourced theme


              What if they're the Chosen of a pliable god? Masks, for instance?

              That's what's going on with the Lunars, after all. They can't transform their way into being somebody that would look more like they were Chosen of a fire god.


              I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

              Comment

              Working...
              X