[Dev Blog] Solar Bonds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Dev Blog] Solar Bonds

In which Vance and Minton talk a bit about the Solar Bond, and reveal some Lunar Charms which make use of it.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

The cause of Silver Pact and the Solar-Lunar war are intreasting to me (...I read it as MRL as the general). I also think it's intreasting that the Silver Pact isn't something from the time of Tumult, but rather dates back to the First Age to begin with.
    Oh, and the charms are cool.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with the war, although I find it a bit obvious. It might be conceited, but I kind of prefer my own idea that the conflict was about the status of the Caul.

A lot of the Charms are neat, though. After Charms for the Sworn Kinship, I probably should have expected a bunch of things in which the Solar Bond was a nice addition, rather than the single or sole focus. It surely makes sense to not have a bunch of Charms that are functionally useless if a player opts out of having a mate.

I can also see the sense in not making it an entirely new Merit when a pre-existing one can already serve the desired function, in addition to general distribution through the Charms. And I find something intriguing in the modification to the Intimacy, as something that can potentially be in flux rather than being completely immutable.

I like the way that they've used some of the fiction as a basis for some of those Charms, such as Lilith's story for the Perception Charm to instantly sense the reincarnation of your Mate.

And I've reached a point in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 that makes the image of sharing use of an Artifact especially compelling to me.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I've got this image of a solar and lunar repeatedly bouncing an Infinite Chakram off something so that the other catches it.

Comment

There should be a way for a lunar to bond with other beings if only temporarily. Locking them out of bond charms seems unfair unless bonds have a really negative effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
            There should be a way for a lunar to bond with other beings if only temporarily. Locking them out of bond charms seems unfair unless bonds have a really negative effect.
            How do you mean?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

I feel as though you haven't read the Charms.

Or... any of the preview...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Hm. I like the idea of a Lunar who does NOT have a Solar Mate being able to do a solemn and sacred and sorcerous wedding ceremony the same way the original Bondmates did, thus gaining a Solar Mate in play. This might not be a charm, though, this seems like a sacred ritual ceremony, and therefore ideal Working territory.

I would probably let a Lunar PC who wanted to do so do such a ceremony to seal an eternal alliance with a non-Solar and give them the same benefits.

Either way, though it'd be a major story beat.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
                -Roger Zelazny

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post
                  therefore ideal Working territory.
                  I would find that to be ideal Working territory in the same way that revitalising the progenitive Essence of a Dragon Blood is.

Comment

There's a couple of charms that have no benefit if you don't have a Solar Mate, I guess, but it seems to me to be a small enough number (I notice that one of these charms has another one as a prereq; the previous preview had no charms that were prereqs for others, which leads me to believe there's not much else in that tree) that I don't really mind.
                    Most of them it's just an extra, and not enormous, benefit.

If, like, 3% of charms are only usable for Lunars with Solar mates, that's fine. Just like if 10% of charms require a good Appearance and my character is ugly it's fine. Those just aren't charms I'll buy, but they fit someone else's concept.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                      How do you mean?
                      Just that you are barred from a bunch of charms for not having a mate. Which, if you aren't near your mate is also useless.

Comment

Just that you are barred from a bunch of charms for not having a mate. Which, if you aren't near your mate is also useless.
                        There's a Charm for making the Bond Tie inviolable, which is probably not the end of Lunar Intimacy protection Charms, and if you have no Mate... who cares?

And, sure, being unable to share attunement of an Artifact, or instantly awaken Evocations when you make and gift it to somebody, is a loss, but it's just one thing.

Every other damn Charm does things without needing to have your Mate around. A number of them use the Bond only in doing things to your Mate. Exactly who do you want to make lose points of Limit?

And a couple of those enhanced effects seem far too powerful to access just by bonding yourself willy nilly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          Just like if 10% of charms require a good Appearance and my character is ugly it's fine. Those just aren't charms I'll buy, but they fit someone else's concept.
                          Person, that's what the Hideous Merit is for.

Comment

Not hideous, just ugly. Or plain.

My point is that not every concept needs to take every charm.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

That’s only unfair if the player doesn’t have a choice about having a bond or not and what Charms to take. If having a Bond doesn’t fit your concept you invest in different Charms and are not disadvantaged.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                              X