Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Dev Blog] Solar Bonds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    "The solars and lunars did it" is probably the most significant change to the bond this edition, really.
    It's kind of along the line of greater autonomy for Lunars in the game. They didn't have Bond put onto them by thier goddess, and they didn't have Castes breaking happen to them by the world. They were involved in the creation of both pretty clearly by their own volition and aciton, whcih is pretty neat.


    And stuff.
    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

    Comment


    • #62
      Even apart from the clarification, the use of a persuade action in the Lunar charm and the lack of such in the Solar charm is not necessarily a defect on the part of the Lunar charm.

      I love 3e, it's got a solid core engine, and I like most of the charms in the corebook, but let's not pretend it doesn't have some awkwardness in there, either. Like most of Craft. But you have to balance many needs and the circumstances of the charms are such that it's reasonable to assume the Solar charm is not going to be meaningfully resisted ("Oh no, how horrible, you're giving me more willpower to carry on!"), whereas Lunars can do enough stuff with physical intimacy that the extra verbiage isn't wasted wordcount at all. You're just not seeing the full picture.

      If the Solar mate has to consider that accepting the seduction means the Lunar might be able to take their shape or do some wacky Intimacy-affecting magic or any number of things, then yes, spelling out "this is a persuade action for physical intimacy, not necessarily sexual, and it only works if the target accept this" is actually rather important. If anything I'd add wordcount so the final product - perhaps in the intro to the charms section if we have several charms of this nature - make it clear you don't need to have sex. A massage or cuddling or any number of things count, too, and that's something very important to have out there.

      (I like my "Exxxalted" moments fine and once played a Jadeborn to Essence 5 so she could have Appearance 10 via Alchemical charms just for the jokes. But I wouldn't force my sense of humor on anyone.)

      Comment


      • #63
        Personally I feel most sorry for the groups who are going to see the “at least a scene of” and forget that “You sneak off somewhere to bang/cuddle/make out” is a full scene on its own.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Aliasi View Post
          Even apart from the clarification, the use of a persuade action in the Lunar charm and the lack of such in the Solar charm is not necessarily a defect on the part of the Lunar charm.

          I love 3e, it's got a solid core engine, and I like most of the charms in the corebook, but let's not pretend it doesn't have some awkwardness in there, either. Like most of Craft. But you have to balance many needs and the circumstances of the charms are such that it's reasonable to assume the Solar charm is not going to be meaningfully resisted ("Oh no, how horrible, you're giving me more willpower to carry on!"), whereas Lunars can do enough stuff with physical intimacy that the extra verbiage isn't wasted wordcount at all. You're just not seeing the full picture.

          If the Solar mate has to consider that accepting the seduction means the Lunar might be able to take their shape or do some wacky Intimacy-affecting magic or any number of things, then yes, spelling out "this is a persuade action for physical intimacy, not necessarily sexual, and it only works if the target accept this" is actually rather important. If anything I'd add wordcount so the final product - perhaps in the intro to the charms section if we have several charms of this nature - make it clear you don't need to have sex. A massage or cuddling or any number of things count, too, and that's something very important to have out there.

          (I like my "Exxxalted" moments fine and once played a Jadeborn to Essence 5 so she could have Appearance 10 via Alchemical charms just for the jokes. But I wouldn't force my sense of humor on anyone.)
          Appearance got another dimension for 3e, though, so in the context of this edition, that character would have made a wonderful front-position leader for battle groups.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Elfive View Post
            "The solars and lunars did it" is probably the most significant change to the bond this edition, really.
            A change in the mythology is nice, but I'd say that the most important practical change is that it shifts a lot of the power and agency to the Lunar, and has less of a direct drawback.

            I had not fully remembered the Solar Bond Background; I forget that it gave a reserve of bonus dice to be used in aid or defence of the Solar, in addition to the Mental Defence Value modifiers. On the face of it, that doesn't strictly lack versatility in how it's applied, so it isn't necessarily servile, but it does have the issue that the more power you have to call upon, the more is being ceded to the Solar. It didn't help that the Background's text focused primarily on things like level of devotion and the effect of loss; we're told about Lilith staying with Desus through terrible abuse, and not one word for the kinds of things that she might have used those ten extra dice for.

            Distribution through the Charms and detachment from the strength of the Intimacy (in most regards) shifts a good deal of the power to the Lunar's court. You get more emphasis on things like collaboration and partnership, if not the Solar actually being a means to the Lunar's ends. You get benefits that the Lunar can bestow upon the Solar at their own discretion, and that can sometimes consist of the Solar giving ground.

            The mythology strikes me as being a relatively minor extension of this changed dynamic. It's still quite good! But I think the most important change isn't about where it came from, but where it can go from here.


            I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

            Comment


            • #66
              Honestly, I never remembered to use my Solar bond dice, my Solar mate never made social attacks on me, and the other character with Solar Bond 5 never used it either (partly because the player never remembers or uses stuff like pools of extra dice in any game, and partly because the guy playing her Solar mate dropped out after a few months).

              Mechanically, it looks much more interesting and varied this time. Though of course, still not much help if your Solar mate dies/goes far away/is incompetent/is a duck. But that's always the case with cooperative mechanics.


              "Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                Though of course, still not much help if your Solar mate dies/goes far away/is incompetent/is a duck.
                Well, they'd better shape up...


                I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                Comment


                • #68
                  I meant to write "is a dick." Typo.
                  Because, if your Solar Mate has been turned into a duck, the extra dice to help her probably actually are quite useful.


                  "Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                    I meant to write "is a dick." Typo.
                    Ahh, that's no fun.


                    I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Mess with one duck, they gotta deal with the whole flock.


                      “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” George Carlin

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Saur Ops Specialist View Post

                        Appearance got another dimension for 3e, though, so in the context of this edition, that character would have made a wonderful front-position leader for battle groups.
                        Well, technically it's just an elaboration of the dimension it already had. And the character in question, since Jadeborn shared relatively small essence pools with raksha, relied on the attribute augmentations in general so she also wound up with a very high everything else, between Artisan natively high stats and charm boosts. In the end I had her be a Supergirl-style inspiring superhuman figure who wasn't quite Solar awesome, so yes, that would have worked out.

                        This is mildly relevant in that it's good to see Lunar Appearance is also getting a fair latitude adjustment, as opposed to 1e's "we don't want to disadvantage ugly Lunars". Because 3e Appearance is more about initial impact and first impressions than anything else.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X