Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lunar charms released so far

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    I originally wrote "pterodactyl", but an article suggested that "pterosaur" was the name for the entire group of similar beasts.


    Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

    My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

      I honestly have to wonder how that creature ever flew. Based on that article that animal is the size and weight of a small single engine airplane, so how did it manage to do anything?
      By not letting your dreams be dreams~

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

        Letting things like that function as valid Lunar spirit shapes seems like it opens up a whole can of worms.

        Maybe there are edge cases in which the creature is not too outlandish and has independently thrived for some time, but I imagine it's generally best avoided.
        So I originally replied to this yesterday but apparently the forum ate my post.

        I broadly agree with you on this. I'd say, for a created animal to be valid it has to have survived in the wild on its own for a while and carved a survival niche in some environment. Not necessarily animals that have been around since the war of the gods or similar, but at least a breeding population and maybe something like a couple hundred years where the species has thrived. I can see something like an animal created to be an exotic pet type of thing that has escaped and thrived to be a good candidate. Perhaps something along the lines of a nine-tailed fox might be a good source for a lunar spirit shape :-P


        Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

        Comment


        • #34
          Lunar Hearth Cat oughta be an option. So created animals oughta be an option as long as the ST doesn't call shenanigans.


          So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

          The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
          -Roger Zelazny

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
            Silken Grasp (I'm guessing Dex or Wits. Might well have the Totemic tag for spider-totems.)
            You know, I've always been a bit uncertain about a Lunar Charm to generate silk threads directly from Essence. Mostly from a sense that it was a very specific animal thing to emulate in a manner that either felt a bit incongruous compared to a more broad general Charm set, or else something that invited a precedent of other, equally specific Charms.

            Having seen people and footage of the new Spider-Man game being played, I find myself not caring about that.

            Oh God, what is this post, my eyes?!?! You're a monster, Wizard of Oz!!!


            I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

            Comment


            • #36
              If Lunars can produce poison (and even medicine) from their bodies, why not silk? They might even see a return of that ink-spraying Charm I'm pretty sure Robert wrote as a fan.

              But producing fire seems a bridge too far.


              Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

              My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

              Comment


              • #37
                Spinnerets is a mutation you can snag at the least. Vance said it was one of his fav in the book.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                  If Lunars can produce poison (and even medicine) from their bodies, why not silk?
                  It's very specific. Even if spiders aren't the only arthropods to produce silk, the function of producing it with adhesive properties for the sake of personal transportation or capturing prey is quite unique to them. The image of a Charm for that is, as a comparison to real life, drawing solely upon that animal (even if I personally envision some alternative creatures with similar processes).

                  Plus there was always the question of it being lines formed from Essence ala Glorious Solar Sabre, rather than the idea of a Charm to grow glands for it. Of the two, I prefer the one for making it from Essence, since growing glands opens a can of worms that I dislike far more, but it still always struck me as a very out there image, even more than having Essence claws at the tips of your fingers.

                  Creating poison is not so singular to a particular animal, or any animal at all. Creating medicine or similar substances seems really more of a general function of Lunar mysticism and bodily control; more Bene Gesserit (with perhaps a hint of Sun Wukong surviving being boiled in a special cauldron and coming out stronger) than animal.

                  These are still things that I think, but at the moment I'm prioritising them less than the idea that creating versatile adhesive lines lets one do things that look cool.


                  I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

                    It's very specific. Even if spiders aren't the only arthropods to produce silk, the function of producing it with adhesive properties for the sake of personal transportation or capturing prey is quite unique to them. The image of a Charm for that is, as a comparison to real life, drawing solely upon that animal (even if I personally envision some alternative creatures with similar processes).
                    I don't think it's as specific as you say. How many thousands of spider species produce and use silk in different ways? I know of at least one species of ant that uses silk to sew leaves together to form a nest. and Spiders are by no means the only species to produce a substance to trap other creatures. There's a type of fish that produces slime to choke out would-be predators, for instance.

                    If you define you objection to 'only spiders use silk to entrap prey" then yes, you're technically correct, but only because they coat the silk strands in a glue-like substance. The silk itself is a building material, same as lots of different insects use. Even in that narrow focus, there are millions of types of spiders who use silk in a near-infinite number of different ways. For crying out loud, there's a species of spider that uses it's web to trap air bubbles so it can build an underwater lair!


                    Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
                      How many thousands of spider species produce and use silk in different ways?
                      Are any of them ways that aren't maybe captured in the spirit of the Charm, or that make them stop being part of the same order?

                      Originally posted by armyofwhispers
                      I know of at least one species of ant that uses silk to sew leaves together to form a nest
                      I said they weren't the only arthropods.

                      Originally posted by armyofwhispers
                      If you define you objection to 'only spiders use silk to entrap prey" then yes, you're technically correct, but only because they coat the silk strands in a glue-like substance. The silk itself is a building material, same as lots of different insects use.
                      And the Charm directly uses the name "silk", and is pretty clearly invoking popular imagery of applications by spiders.

                      What is the point of all this? I come in to say that arguments and objections to the thing are insignificant next to the strength and evocative imagery of the concept, and I get people arguing for, what, not liking it in the correct manner? General nitpicking? I come around here to try and share in the enthusiasm for the thing as emphasized by its effective depiction in a recent, widely well-received game, and instead of the expected other people responding to that highly publicized and popularized talking point... it's too late at night for this.


                      I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                        What is the point of all this? I come in to say that arguments and objections to the thing are insignificant next to the strength and evocative imagery of the concept, and I get people arguing for, what, not liking it in the correct manner? General nitpicking? I come around here to try and share in the enthusiasm for the thing as emphasized by its effective depiction in a recent, widely well-received game, and instead of the expected other people responding to that highly publicized and popularized talking point... it's too late at night for this.
                        I dunno, you didn't really come across as being super enthusiastic about the charm on first read. You came across as trying to say that spiders entrapping things was a very narrow concept. And that spiderman is cool. *shrug* if that wasn't your intent, then I'll drop the discussion here.


                        Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                          It's very specific. Even if spiders aren't the only arthropods to produce silk, the function of producing it with adhesive properties for the sake of personal transportation or capturing prey is quite unique to them. The image of a Charm for that is, as a comparison to real life, drawing solely upon that animal (even if I personally envision some alternative creatures with similar processes).
                          "Specific" really depends on perspective. There are more separate species that produce silk with adhesive properties for the sake of personal transportation or capturing prey then there are separate species that have fur.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Spiders are God's perfect little murder machines. They're possibly the most globally successful predatory life forms in the history of life on Earth!

                            Weaving silk to entrap prey oughta be just as much a "predators are neat" inspiration to the Lunar charmset as claws and fangs.

                            I think the devs get that. We're getting spider based perception charms for being aware of your territory again, and I wouldn't be surprised by some spider inspiration in Wits or Int for crafting.


                            So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

                            The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
                            -Roger Zelazny

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
                              I dunno, you didn't really come across as being super enthusiastic about the charm on first read.
                              Yeah, that smiley face must have seemed like a very dour expression.

                              Originally posted by armyofwhispers
                              You came across as trying to say that spiders entrapping things was a very narrow concept. And that spiderman is cool.
                              What I said was that it was a Charm that was very specific to a particular kind of animal in a way that most Lunar Charms are not, and that the likely application for fun in play took high priority over any such incongruity.


                              I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X