Request for Help: Building a Character

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearing-based totemic image, you say?

If only there were some kind of stealthy nocturnal predator that navigates mostly by echolocation! I mean, I can think of one, but that'd just be silly for an orphan with incredible skills at athletics, stealth and investigation.

Not a bad loadout. as solar generalists go. Might I suggest ditching Hardship-Surviving Mendicant Spirit for Steel Storm Descending? If you're going to splash into various forms of combat, you might as well get something out of it.

With Awakening Eye, you have a stupid-high Join Battle. so kicking off engagements with a surprisingly mean shot from your sling-staff before closing to crack heads with it might be your bag.

Comment

"Find my Mother and the Bandits that took her" might be more of a Principle? Alternately, write it as two intimacies:

Defining Tie: Mother (Filial Love)
      Major Tie: "The Bandits that kidnapped my Mother" (Overwhelming Rage)

That sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Amayad View Post
        Hearing-based totemic image, you say?

If only there were some kind of stealthy nocturnal predator that navigates mostly by echolocation! I mean, I can think of one, but that'd just be silly for an orphan with incredible skills at athletics, stealth and investigation.
        Of course, I didn't realize that the sheep of Creation are stealthy nocturnal predators with echolocation. That's perfect with his background *grin* Also, I thought that one, in particular, might be too on-the-nose, unless Numiel's Circle is something like the Justice Crusaders or some such...

Not a bad loadout. as solar generalists go. Might I suggest ditching Hardship-Surviving Mendicant Spirit for Steel Storm Descending? If you're going to splash into various forms of combat, you might as well get something out of it.

With Awakening Eye, you have a stupid-high Join Battle. so kicking off engagements with a surprisingly mean shot from your sling-staff before closing to crack heads with it might be your bag.
        I read a bit, and see your point with respect to Steel Storm Descending. Consider Hardship-Surviving Mendicant Spirit replaced. I read a bit more, and found that my understanding of gaining excellencies was a bit off, too, so HSMS being out doesn't hurt as much as I had thought.

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
        "Find my Mother and the Bandits that took her" might be more of a Principle? Alternately, write it as two intimacies:

Defining Tie: Mother (Filial Love)
        Major Tie: "The Bandits that kidnapped my Mother" (Overwhelming Rage)

That sort of thing.
        That made so much sense I made that change, too. I edited the original post of Numiel's background and spending to include Charms and Intimacies.

"At the risk of sounding like a murder hobo"

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

*sigh* I'm gonna suck it up and make the "bat signal" Numiel's anima banner, because I have no better ideas.

Bonus Point expenditure:
          2 BP to Awareness, raising it to 5
          1 BP to Stealth, raising it to 3 (required for Easily-Overlooked Presence Method)
          4 BP to raise Willpower to 7
          4 BP to acquire Unsurpassed Hearing and Touch Discipline
          4 BP to acquire Inquisitor's Unfailing Notice

I chose those two Charms from a list that included them and the following: Foe-Vaulting Method, Fists of Iron Technique, Dipping Swallow Defense, One Weapon, Two Blows, Ox-Body Technique, and Perfect Shadow Stillness.

Any final thoughts and suggestions people would like to toss at me?

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

Hmmm.... What about a shepherd? as your anima banner? Or a shepherd's crook? The staff they use with the hook on the end to catch and guide sheep?

Or maybe a sheepdog?

All of those seem like they could fit well for your character.

Comment

I confess that I'm still used to seeing a lot more 5s and a lot less 3s, but damn, as an investigator? This fellow's a holy terror. He could easily pick up any nefarious plotting going on just by being an unobtrusive beggar somewhere within five miles of the conspirators, or perching on the roof of a building in Nexus and feeling the sleaze through the ceiling. He might not always know what you're up to, but he absolutely knows that you, in particular, are up to something.

The only reason Firewander is still a hellhole is because there's a physical limit to how many scumbags he can thrash within a day.

In combat, he's still impressive, just not Semi-Divine Death Machine impressive. 5 dice to attack and a DV of 3 is about right for an average soldier, and if you need to be scarier than that, you have supernatural abilities.

The really frightening thing about him, as far as combat goes, is the vicious first strike he opens with. It's not hard for him to start fights with 10 initiative and nail the slowest guy there with a 15-die Decisive thanks to Awakening Eye and Steel Storm Descending. If the target shrugs that off, it's time to play keep-away.

Comment

First, thank you to everyone who helped me figure this out. I’m still not entirely sure about anima banners, but with respect to Intimacies, a combination of what you guys said and thinking about Wraith’s Passions has me on the right track, I think.

@Brilliantrain: If it’d been a snake… While I think the shepherd has too many “tending the flock” overtones, the hook that guides through action or the protector of the flock (the crook and sheepdog, respectively) both fit in well. As I’m really rather averse to using the animal and banner at the moment as it feels very much like a Lunar thing, I think the crook is the proper way to go. Your advice has been invaluable and I greatly appreciate your time and the thoughts you presented.

@Amayad: I humbly thank you for the praise on this build. I do my best to present characters as wholly as possible and as I come from the pool of players who have long played the Classic World of Darkness, a part of me wants a certain level of “real” characters. Also, unfortunately for me, he is totally a Batman/Nightwing/Robin figure, despite my intent in his design. That’s OK, though, it came out as a result of design rather than being designed to make a Bruce Wayne/Dick Grayson/Tim Drake/Damian Wayne sort of character.

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

To be clear, the fact that you've made Nightwing doesn't mean you lack creativity, it means there's nothing new under the sun - any given expression of superhuman ability probably has a famous character associated with it by now. With his absurd senses, he's also a good candidate for Heimdall, with the background of King David and the motivations of Indiana Jones.

Honestly, it's legitimately difficult to make a Night Caste that doesn't look a little like a member of the Bat-family, just like it's not easy to make a Zenith who's not somehow Moses.

But you still have a hearthstone to pick. I'd suggest a Stone of Nature's Bounty if it's something you just happened upon. +2 to Survival for the purpose of finding food and water cements your rough livin' skills, and allows you to bring people with you, such as a bunch of slaves you rescued from a Guild caravan bound for the Fair Folk, who you now have to march back to civilization.

Comment

I'm glad I could help. And, honestly, I hadn't looked over the Solar charms as much as I would like, so writing down a few basic builds forced me to consider a few things and up my own game as well. So, thanks to you too.

Do you have any particular plans for this character or was this just an exercise?

Comment

Amayad: Stumbling over a Stone of Nature's Bounty probably does make the most sense, even if he still hasn't sussed out it's function just yet.

I'm glad I could help. And, honestly, I hadn't looked over the Solar charms as much as I would like, so writing down a few basic builds forced me to consider a few things and up my own game as well. So, thanks to you too.
                      I'm glad I could help.

Do you have any particular plans for this character or was this just an exercise?
                      Mostly this was just an exercise, as I don't have a group that plays Exalted. That said, I'd love to have the opportunity to play him, even if I see that as a very unlikely prospect for the time being. I'll probably do this for several types of character like the straight-up warmonger, the social assassin, and so on. I just had to start with the Awareness supernal character because I love those charms so much.

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

You could invert the bat-signal idea and have it be a long and spooky shadow that falls across the wicked who attract his ire.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Round 2!

So, I'm designing a second Solar, Eclipse caste, based on the concept of "Social Assassin", as in, one who does character assassination, destroying the target's life, cutting off the closest confidants, ruining friendships, even causing lifelong servants and bodyguards to walk away. But I can't seem to find charms to allow this level of social manipulation, save Venomous Rumors Technique. What am I missing?

Note: Yes, if the five characters I plan to build were a circle, they would most definitely be an odd grouping of talents.

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

Aspersions Cast Aside and Asp Bites its Tail can do some amount of destroying someone's reputation.
                            A fair amount of linguistics can do this - Stolen Voice Technique and its descendants to impersonate someone, Twisted Words Technique can either make someone act against their positive intimacies to your target, or convince your target to do something that will annoy their friends.
                            Some of the Performance charms might be useful - Memory-Reweaving Discipline to make people remember your target doing something heinous, the oratory charms are good for angry mobs though worse at getting their friends to attack them.
                            Arguably the prophecy lore charms could be used to sabotage someone's works to ultimately sabotage their reputation.

Comment

Previous editions had charms where you could walk through town and a week later everyone joins a cult. In 3e, you actually need to interact with people via the social system to change their minds. Which means it takes longer, but Solars can still be experts at it.

From your description of the concept, I think you want to go with a Socialize Supernal. Being awesome at Socialize means that you'll be good at Reading Intentions, which will help you know what your targets feel about things. Once you know how your targets feel, you can try to change that via Instill actions.

The main complicating factor here is that it sounds like you want your character to be able to take someone who has a defining level positive intimacy towards your target and convert that into a defining negative intimacy. Which is hard work, since you need to leverage at least a major intimacy to try to erode a defining intimacy and you need some powerful evidence in your favor to try it.

Fortunately, with Solar Socialize, you have powerful tools to tell you what anyone you talk to believes, so you know how to approach them. You also have a nice bag of dirty tricks to help you out.

Comment

The main complicating factor here is that it sounds like you want your character to be able to take someone who has a defining level positive intimacy towards your target and convert that into a defining negative intimacy. Which is hard work, since you need to leverage at least a major intimacy to try to erode a defining intimacy and you need some powerful evidence in your favor to try it.

Fortunately, with Solar Socialize, you have powerful tools to tell you what anyone you talk to believes, so you know how to approach them. You also have a nice bag of dirty tricks to help you out.
                                I noticed your Memory-Reweaving Discipline question over on the Ask the Devs thread, which is fortuitous, since it can totally affect my decision to acquire it for Shining Crimson Oath (I'm working on Solar names, now, too).

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

Working...
                                X