Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone broken down the pro's and con's of Mantis style?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone broken down the pro's and con's of Mantis style?

Hello all,
    I was just wondering if anyone has broken down the charms for Mantis Style in the DB book as of yet?

Well, I at least analyze it’s clashing potential and strategies in this thread, as well as those of others.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ttempt-a-clash

Mantis is on page two or three.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Giving it a once-over, I'd say that Mantis is the finesse grappler style. It wants you to have an impressive Parry DV, and Crushing Claw Attack lets you control grapples with Dex+MA if you like. It also helps to have a non-abysmal Strength, since there are a few neat tricks that key off it, but they don't seem like the core of the style to me.

I'd say the typical Mantis opener is Crushing Claw Attack + Grasping Claw Method into Mantis Form. It's mote-hungry. but if you pull it off you disarm the opponent, fling their weapon away, remove their ability to recover it (because you're holding them) and you can now drag them away from the weapon, out of Call The Blade's range.

This also combos nicely with either Thunderclap Rush Attack or Mantis' own native Leaping Mantis Technique to seriously ruin an archer's whole day.

Ideally? You don't use this style against other skilled unarmed combatants, you use it on people with Melee 5 and Brawl 1, then you turn the swordfight into a wrasslin' match and win.

Comment

Further thoughts, apart from Mantis' love of hugging swordsmen:

Okay, I lied, one more thing about that. Remember that your victim's attacks are at -1 in a grapple, but two-handed weapons are at -3. If you can manage to land a Joint-Breaking Attack on somebody with a Grand Daiklave, they're uh..Pretty screwed, at a bare minimum -8 dice.

And on the subject of two-handed weapons? The seven-section staff is not one, so feel free to wield it like a sectional steel whip for that sweet, sweet Parry DV while you put people in joint locks.

Grasping Mantis Defense can turn Mantis into Hapkido if you like. Reflexively clash an incoming blow, then immediately use your action to throw the poor mook, allowing you to apply your full Parry to anybody else that might want some,.

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about Mantis is the capstone, which mostly seems like a good way to win a fight you've already won. If you have 15+ initiative and control of a grapple with several rounds of control remaining, I'm sure you can find a way to finish this that doesn't cost 15m, 1wp.

Comment

Seven section staves lacking the two-handed keyword seems wrong.

Comment

So does a grappling style having so many form weapons but here we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
              So does a grappling style having so many form weapons but here we are.
              Your objection is a matter of taste.

Mine is a matter of physics.

Comment

Working...
              X