Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if the Usurpation Banished all Exalted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if the Usurpation Banished all Exalted?

So here is an idea... what if the Usurpation didn’t go as planned, maybe the Lunare didn’t flee, or maybe the Mountainfolk were dragged it. But the idea being the Dragonblooded were Wiped out in the struggle, and in order to seal the Lunars along with the Solars the Sidereals had to bind them with their own Exaltations. Creation is the left to The Gods to defend the Universe and Mortals to rule themselves. Maybe with a dispersed population of thin blooded Dragonblooded popping up. Maybe there was a contagion, maybe their wasn’t? The Gods combat the Balorians with the Legions of Heaven. And I when the Jade Prison shatters all of a sudden all the Exalts return, including a new Generation of say a Thousand Dragonblooded Exalt among the masses, think Airbenders returning in Season 4 Korra.

Thoughts?

It is a time for great deeds!

Hmm, it's possible that the Blessed isle would have developed a Ysyr-like sorcerous ruling class in the interim.

The Mask may have never been broken, meaning that they remember the dragonblooded and sidereals as heroes who sacrificed themselves to seal the wicked solars and lunars. The term Anathema may never have come into vogue.

The lunars would have never re-made their castes. They never got the chance. Whether they'd bother (or be able to) once free is an interesting question. With no elders they're in largely the same situation as the solars.

Comment

If the gods are this active maybe the've moved back to the Blessed Isle?
      Wun Ja as Empress?

The Freedom Stone is back, help it to live again.

Comment

In a 3e setting, Creation wouldn't be entirely devoid of Exalts post-Usurpation; the Liminals didn't appear until the Shogunate in the original timeline, and weren't predicated on the events of the Usurpation, so it's entirely possible they'd appear here, and the gods would have the Exigence available to them.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

I guess my knee jerk reaction to this idea is that, without widespread numbers of Exalted, we’re likely to get lots of petty kingdoms, each ruled by a supernatural entity of some kind. Well or a widespread empire of the gods.

But I could see a number of ways this could go, so I think the next question is, where do you want to end up? Like, do you want a big war between the Exalted Host and Heaven? A bunch of Exalted trying to take these fractured kingdoms and turn them into an empire?

Solars and Lunars fighting against the Deathlords and their Liminal and Ghostly armies, because the Underworld has swallowed all of Creation save the Blessed Isle?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
            Solars and Lunars fighting against the Deathlords and their Liminal and Ghostly armies, because the Underworld has swallowed all of Creation save the Blessed Isle?
            Not really a Liminal thing, given they're about policing the boundaries of life and death and apparently aren't big fans of the Deathlords. Them being part of the existing resistance, I could see...

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Assuming the gods somewhat respect the Mandate of Heaven as having fallen to mortal man, and assuming that the Balorian Crusade and the rise of the Deathlords are averted (along with other threats from Hell, etc.), then I figure you probably see something a bit more my impression of Greek classical mythology and epic, where human heroes are both lifted up and moved around the chessboard somewhat furtively by gods. A bit like Soldier in the Mist or the Iliad. As opposed to Exalted's default where the gods intervene less and the focus is on Exalted heroes who have cultivated their essence. The gods are inevitably going to take a more active role in the world though, whether that's an improvement over the Exalted or not (Exalted's gods are on the whole pretty bad by the standards of most mythologies, though).

As to the general quality of society, I won't comment over much, other than to make the indirect comment that I guess I have a somewhat bleak perspective on the contribution of the Exalted as being much more capable of bombastic, charismatic leadership and tactical and strategic genius that doesn't really add much off too much in terms of wise administration and a generally high level of welfare. Not that they are necessarily *bad* at administration, just they don't seem especially *good* at it (even the Eclipses seem more "impressive" than "good" at this). Especially when their interests and ambitions are set against one another. So you might well see a better order to mortal society and higher degree of "progress" than Creation as it stands in canon. YMMV!

Comment

I think if all Exalted started off on the same foot, well Sidereals a step behind since they are being born when others are Exalting, you have an interesting position with heaven. I see the different departments of heaven fighting to hire Exalted. And you have maybe Exigents and Dragonblooded as the first Exalts working directly for Heaven at the Start.

Comment

You could have people destined to exalt born before the sides come back though.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                    You could have people destined to exalt born before the sides come back though.
                    Yeah. But I was thinking the sidereal Exalts are locking the others, and when they are freed they literally are born into people they are destined to Exalt.

Comment

OK, but you don't actually need the exaltation to be literally sitting in the future sid their whole life. I mean, it's not like the first generation of sidereals were 20 years behind everyone else.

Comment

OK, but you don't actually need the exaltation to be literally sitting in the future sid their whole life. I mean, it's not like the first generation of sidereals were 20 years behind everyone else.
                        That's literally how it works. Which is why the sidereals don't usually put themselves in harms way unless they have to. A common misconception is that their life is more important than any individual job but the text doesn't treat that as the case. If they fail they'll be able to try again later. If they die they just burden the fellowship for another 12-60 years.

That might not have been the case with the first generation because the maidens personalky exalted them but that's always been the mechanism for sidereals.

Comment

I mean, it's not like the first generation of sidereals were 20 years behind everyone else.
                          In the original situation, probably not, but possibly as an effect of "The Maidens are at least 20 years in front of everyone else on planning for all of this". (And on the more common timescale of the setting this probably has effects in how much of "Sidereal gap" there ever is; I figure they are good at keeping those plates spinning.).

How much that would apply in this situation? Maybe not too much. On the other hand, if anyone's able to plan so that when their chosen finally do properly return, they're equipped with all the skills and position that they need....

Comment

I mean the Gods probably did have a lot of preparation time. I doubt the Incarna immediately went to create the Exalted when Unconquered Sun went and declared his intention of rebelling against the Primordials. I mean isn't the Alchemicals thing is that they are prototypes for the Exalted Host when the Incarna and Autochthon were planning on ways for the gods to get around the no rebellion geas they were under? Given that they are Gods I doubt that this planning phase didn't go at least as long as a couple of mortal lifetimes

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                              So here is an idea... what if the Usurpation didn’t go as planned, maybe the Lunare didn’t flee, or maybe the Mountainfolk were dragged it. But the idea being the Dragonblooded were Wiped out in the struggle, and in order to seal the Lunars along with the Solars the Sidereals had to bind them with their own Exaltations.
                              Ok, so, the Sids all sacrifice themselves to lock away both Solars and Lunars? I'm not sure how you wipe out all DBs, but, sure, let's just go with it, and say no more exalt in their bloodlines for whatever reason.
                              Creation is the left to The Gods to defend the Universe and Mortals to rule themselves.
                              Why would mortals rules themselves? The whole point of the Mandate is that the Gods are *delegating* their authority to the Exalted, effectively sub-contracting for them to rule the world in the God's stead. I really don't see the Gods thinking mortals are capable of ruling themselves. Most likely, they come back to the Blessed Isle to directly rule themselves.

The real question is, would the Incarnae do this? Frankly, even Meru is a step down from Yu-Shan. This would probably be seen as a demotion in the Celestial Bureaucracy, and the Gods were already addicted to the Games of Divinity.
                              Maybe with a dispersed population of thin blooded Dragonblooded popping up. Maybe there was a contagion, maybe their wasn’t? The Gods combat the Balorians with the Legions of Heaven. And I when the Jade Prison shatters all of a sudden all the Exalts return, including a new Generation of say a Thousand Dragonblooded Exalt among the masses,
                              I don't see any reason why there shouldn't still be Deathlords, so the Contagion probably still happens. In fact, the Fae may even have invaded sooner without the Exalted around to scare them away. Assuming the Incarnae are still as hopelessly addicted to the GoD as in canon, Heaven probably responds the same ineffectual way.

If the Incarnae ARE actively on earth and directly ruling/defending it...basically, they could have dealt with both the Deathlords AND the Balorian Crusade permanently!

Not sure why the Jade Prison opening would result in new Dragonblooded exalting...

think Airbenders returning in Season 4 Korra.
                              LALALA, fingers in my ears, havn't finished watching that show yet!!

Comment

Working...
                              X