No announcement yet.

How would your characters solve the issue present in other fictional settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm watching a show called Channel 0 and the first season is operating from an old creepypasta called Candle Cove. Granted it jumps away from the initial premise of the creepypasta rather quickly since the original story was just people comparing notes about a show they remember watching when they were really young. (And I'll leave it there for those who might want to look up the story later.)

Anyway in the show the conflict is that children are being infected by this Candle Cove show and well brutally murdering people and/or ripping the teeth out of their heads. Which honestly I think most of my characters would be sitting there like, "Alright we have two options. Either we nope the fuck out of here because I'm not dealing with this shit or we kill pretty much everyone here. I know technically we only need to kill their kids, but I'm being rational and I don't see anyone else in this town not trying to kill us after that."

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
      So I'm watching a show called Channel 0 and the first season is operating from an old creepypasta called Candle Cove. Granted it jumps away from the initial premise of the creepypasta rather quickly since the original story was just people comparing notes about a show they remember watching when they were really young. (And I'll leave it there for those who might want to look up the story later.)

Anyway in the show the conflict is that children are being infected by this Candle Cove show and well brutally murdering people and/or ripping the teeth out of their heads. Which honestly I think most of my characters would be sitting there like, "Alright we have two options. Either we nope the fuck out of here because I'm not dealing with this shit or we kill pretty much everyone here. I know technically we only need to kill their kids, but I'm being rational and I don't see anyone else in this town not trying to kill us after that."
      Immortal Soul Vigil. Get in there and kick those gribbly fucks directly in the teeth - which is to say, anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Amayad View Post

Immortal Soul Vigil. Get in there and kick those gribbly fucks directly in the teeth - which is to say, anywhere.
        Sadly not the one with ranks in occult. Actually our campaign is early on and only the two sorcerers have occult ranks let alone favored and they didn't go much further than demon/elemental summoning and learning how to murder ghosts when they show up. Which I suppose might divert the wrath of the locals if a pack of summoned demon gorillas and wood spiders started eating the local child population and no one had seen the exalts do the summoning.

Hmm actually fair assumption that summoning wouldn't be against the spirit of this right? What was that one demon, I think 2nd circle, that was literally a plague of very specific nostalgia and could that be leveraged against an apparently psionic malevolent tv show?

Comment

[QUOTE=Aquillion;n1259773]
          2. Unmaking it with sheer craft-titude is notionally possible but practically boring, so the threshold to do so would probably be above what the characters can reasonably accomplish. Sauron was the equivalent of a high-tier god - yes, yes, I know, but the terms mean different things in different settings, and there's simply no other way to classify him. Morgoth is closer to a Yozi. And Sauron sacrificed a huge part of his power to create the ring, which looks to me a lot like he was invoking something akin to the Law of Diminishment. We're not talking "sacrifice a few XP for a crafting project here", we're talking "barely more than a shade of himself without it." That would put creating the ring on-par with creating Exalted and would imply that similar levels of oomph are needed to unmake it through sheer crafting - not just hitting it with an E5 craft charm.
          Originally posted by Aquillion View Post
          This I think is especially interesting, The One Ring is actually much more of an exaltation bound to a magic item than it is an artifact. It even chooses its bearer and can, seemingly by its own will, leave that bearer by manipulating people and luck. Destroying it should probably fall under the same absurd difficulty of destroying an exigent exaltation that was meant to be eternal, which is to say pretty much the ST gets to set the boundaries there as it's an entire campaign.

At the end of the day it's a top-tier setting-defining N/A artifact. Something like that can break the rules in whatever way the ST thinks makes for a good story. And given its established feats, there's no reason to think it would easily fold to Exalted charms or sorcery, even given that Exalted is a higher-tier setting. (Remember, Gandalf is probably more powerful than most Exalted if he unveils his full power; he can't do so lightly, but he probably could have and would have done it to destroy the ring if doing so was a feasible solution.)
          Yeah, and really Middle Earth isn't even a lower tier setting, just the fallen time of the Lord of the Rings. In the olden days there was a spider, Ungoliant, who was so big that she devoured the two trees which lit up the entire world, and she was slain by a single elf warrior in combat, who, I think? wielded a blade of pure starlight trapped in a shard of ice. I might be getting his weapon wrong, but either way that's a feat that would make most Solars sit back and go "Holy shit...."

And to answer the OP TECHNICALLY my last batch of players were high level DnD players so...probably just cast teleport and transport themselves to the mountain.

To add another problem though from a pretty solidly lower power setting, how would your characters fix the Song of Ice and Fire universe? Or Attack on Titan if that's fantasy enough.
          Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 10-10-2018, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
            To add another problem though from a pretty solidly lower power setting, how would your characters fix the Song of Ice and Fire universe? Or Attack on Titan if that's fantasy enough.
            My old Devil Tiger would fix SoIF/GoT the same way he's trying to fix Creation, just having an easier time of it. Namely, he'd go Wulfenbach on their cantankerous arses (i.e., conquer the whole thing, and rule by virtue of "Don't Make Me Come Over There!").

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

For my money, these two have the same problem - there's a major existential threat going on, insulated from the interior by a big-ass wall only manned and maintained by ballsy, doomed heroes, and nobody even knows how to start winning.

My demon-huntin' night caste ranger would fix them the same way - get over the wall and start doing some actual recon on the Titans/Others until we at least know basic facts like:

*What are they, really?
              *How many are there?
              *Where do they come from?
              *What are they planning, if anything?

Send the intel back by Infalliable messenger, then start puzzling out how to capture and interrogate a smart-looking one.

The 75% shitbag population inside the walls can wait, but we'll get there.

Comment

Are we talking book version or TV version? Because it seems like there are few things that might make things a bit trickier to handle around in the books. I mean apparently at least one main character came back as an undead who wasn't a white walker, so that might be a problem. Granted I can also see my collective group deciding that their solution is to get the Twilight Doctor to cure greyscale, so the party doesn't have to deal with people they like getting infected, and then taking anyone they like and living on a different continent from the zombie apocolypse.

Comment

Fly over Mt Doom with Azure Chariot or other spell and drop it in! For bonus, have somebody Throw or attach to an arrow and Shoot. Honestly, what's the problem?

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                  An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Amayad View Post

For my money, these two have the same problem - there's a major existential threat going on, insulated from the interior by a big-ass wall only manned and maintained by ballsy, doomed heroes, and nobody even knows how to start winning.

My demon-huntin' night caste ranger would fix them the same way - get over the wall and start doing some actual recon on the Titans/Others until we at least know basic facts like:

*What are they, really?
                    *How many are there?
                    *Where do they come from?
                    *What are they planning, if anything?

Send the intel back by Infalliable messenger, then start puzzling out how to capture and interrogate a smart-looking one.

The 75% shitbag population inside the walls can wait, but we'll get there.
                    I've been reading the comics. We already have those answers.

Comment

Personally, I'm currently writing a story involving Campione, a light novel series. A solar exaltation shard, due to being hit by Oramus, ended up outside reality and landed in another universe.

There, there is a fine boundary between the world of legends and the world of men. When the boundary is breached, gods can descend into the realms of mortals and wreck havoc. Their passive attacks can cause disasters. Their active ones are..... well.....

Each god ranges from second to third circle demon, up to Ligier. One blew up a mountain with an arrow. Another, transformed several thousand people into various animals.

The metaphysics of the setting also means that any mortal trying to fight against them is at a severe disadvantage. magic is a lot more stronger and more useful.... but its like you get a penalty for any difference in essence between you and your enemy. So when the god is roughly essence 9 and the mortal maximum is essence 3, you kinda get problems.

By supreme luck, one can kill a god and take its powers. Problems. The only people capable of doing this are insane. And not only are they insane and have unique panoply charms from the gods they killed, they are functionally immune to mortal magic and have 'luck' or 'instinct', that means that they can match top mortals in anything they tried via their own native gifts without even trying.

So yes, you have a world where second and third circle demonesque monsters roam freely, and the humans are nearly helpless to stop them. And then there are behemoths, divine beasts, cultists, and worst things.

Thankfully, the resident Solar is now a melee supernal, who has decided that anything supernatural that preys on the human race has to die.

The story shall be a fun romp through explosions and destroyed cities, with much shenanigans involving perfects.

Comment

Working...
                      X