Wuxia recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Straight martial arts tend to be more modern, and lack the gods, demons and Taoist wizards of Wuxia.

Essentially, Wuxia is a fantasy genre and Kung Fu is an action genre.
    this is actually more accurate to the genre, but I've been functioning under an understanding of wuxia in its translation as "swordsman," and have personally separated films that way. Learn something new every day. :-P
    so all the movies I've mentioned have focused specifically on the primary use of weapons. There's also a world of martial arts films that don't fully fit either interpretation (films like Merantau, the Raids, ong bok, the chanbara genre, etc.)

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

I should probably mention that Kung-fu films tend to be modern, but actually they can be historical; just as you get western historical action films that may not have any supernatural elements.

Although Kung-fu films are more likely to be set in real historical times (the Nationalist period, the early Qing, or one of the periods where the government collapsed), and Wuxia more in generic ancient China (probably some kind of Han/Song/Tang mash-up).

But then you get historical kung-fu films with some magical elements, but they're genre-trappings of kung-fu (the super powerful move from the ancient scroll, or meditating on a mountain to become incredibly tough due to qi control) but they're not necessarily the same as the genre-trappings of Wuxia (for example, having one character who's actually a dragon from a family of dragons who live under a lake, it's just he normally walks around in human form).

As with western historical action and fantasy, it's not always a strict line.
      Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 10-13-2018, 04:22 AM.

My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

A bit of King Hu and Wong Kar-wai is always good (if you're looking for something a bit art-wuxia that has a kind of artistic beauty and profundity that you find in CTHD, and not many elements of comedy, though in truth I find there's nothing quite like CTHD for better or worse):

Ashes of Time
        A Touch of Zen
        The Grandmaster
        (The Assassin by Hou Hsiao-hsien from 2015 also falls into this sort of art wuxia, but I found it a bit too still and sterile for my tastes, and not quite up to the above. YMMV.)

At the end where wuxia shades into action-comedy-adventure blockbusters with modern-day production values:

Painted Skin
        Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame
        Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons
        Dragon / Wuxia from 2011 (not as much comedy in that one)

(I believe most of these have sequels of some sort that I can't say if are as good)

Late 70s-80s classics:

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
        Magnificent Butcher
        Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
        edit: Encounters of the Spooky Kind
        A Chinese Ghost Story

Red Cliff is also pretty good though more like a war epic I guess. Warriors of Heaven and Earth is also a kind of Chinese war epic adventure film more than wuxia exactly, but I kind of like it for the setting, vibe and charisma of the actors and think its good for Exalted use really.
        Last edited by Ghosthead; 10-13-2018, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Wuxia is hard to define, but the most common thread seems to be the idea that, implicitly or explicitly, there is this parallel world and society out there that is built around practicing martial arts and associated spiritual practices. That kind of transcends time periodization or how blatantly supernatural it is.

If you have a film like many of Bruce Lee's where he's just a young immigrant worker who's "good at Chinese boxing" and people find out to their peril that he and his community are not to be messed with, those probably don't fall into wuxia without that parallel society being established. Or those films where Jackie Chan is just a Hong Kong policeman who is unaccountably amazing at martial arts. Also why I view some of the "war epic" Chinese period films with lots of martial arts as maybe not wuxia - because these are just portrayed as the ordinary amazing feats of very skilled warriors who are fully of normal society and "just" very good at fighting. There's still a bit of a gray area of course.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "The Duel" - it has some great moments!

Look at this craziness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03vurB_Q0VY

Also based on the same novel a film version by the Shaw brothers (who doesn't want a sword that can go out and come back!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeKKzFFkUno
            Last edited by Yawgrimas; 10-14-2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I'll add the 2014 Donnie Yen movie Ice Man to the list. It's just too bad about the ending... [/spoilers]

"At the risk of sounding like a murder hobo"

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

Originally posted by Inertial Frame View Post
                I'll add the 2014 Donnie Yen movie Ice Man to the list. It's just too bad about the ending... [/spoilers]

Bruh, just go watch the original Yuen Bo film Ice Man Cometh. MUCH better.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

Phil's ridiculous recommendations part 2! (These are all movies I have personally seen and strongly recommend.)

I think someone already brought them up, but the Chinese Ghost Story films are awesome, and there's even some value in the animated one.
                  Anything by Chang Cheh is a great, albeit supremely silly, depiction of Exalted martial arts. (Five Deadly Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Five Element Ninja, etc)
                  Dreadnaught (Kung-fu slasher flick with the best person to ever play Wong Fei Hong)
                  Human Lanterns
                  King of Beggars (And most of Stephen Chows films.)
                  Mr Vampire series. (Magic Cop, the second one, is modern day but still useful.)
                  Another one brought up is the Spooky Encounter franchise. First is more period, second is modern but fun.
                  Flying Guillotine, Fatal Flying Guillotine, and Master of the Flying Guillotine. Flying Guillotine 2 and the 201? Guillotines are both dumpster fires.
                  Spiritual Boxer
                  Zu Warriors from Magic Mountin
                  Buddha's Palm
                  Demon Lute
                  A Chinese Odyssey series. Trippy, but fun.
                  Clan of the White Lotus
                  Shaolin vs Wu-Tang
                  Flirting Scholar
                  Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons (The second one was... okay? but almost all the cast and staff changed.)
                  Uproar in Heaven (Animated story of Sun-Wukong. Really cool.)
                  Deadful Melody
                  Fingers of Doom

Comment

Okay, fair enough. It sounds like Wuxia is much more what I'm after than Kung Fu/Martial Arts movies.

I really liked the "Giang Hu underworld" of CTHD, even though it wasn't that prominent in the story. I decided to take some of that on in considering how I run Exalted, so that there are now loosely-connected dojos in (my) Creation. Traveling performers might get into fights in the street because one belongs to an underworld society of Dreaming Pearl Courtesan stylists, and the other belongs to an underworld society of Silver-Voiced Nightingale Stylists. But the latter is in for a nasty shock when the battle strays too near a certain brothel, which is a front for the former's sister dojo. Or there's a series of assassinations and terrifyingly well-orchestrated raids carried out by some Ebon Shadow stylists who can be fought/redeemed by the virtuous PC Ebon Shadow Stylist. Also, people can take Contacts among this underworld.

I haven't seen anything like that detailed in Exalted source material, but I feel like it makes a lot of room for it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it become explicit in future supplements.

Also, gods, demons and Taoist wizards can honestly only improve a story. Though I do love the ones based on history, especially ones inspired by the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Katamari_Naneke View Post
                      I haven't seen anything like that detailed in Exalted source material, but I feel like it makes a lot of room for it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it become explicit in future supplements.
                      The closest I've seen in official publication to that good old land of rivers and lakes is in the Southern portion of Scroll of Heroes. It talks about there being martial arts tea houses along the land trade routes where warriors go to test their metal and meet other practitioners. Beyond that, the seedy part of Wujian kinda scratches that same itch, but I've mostly just made it from whole cloth for my games.

Comment

It's a bit less wuxia and a bit more historical political drama...but I have been watching the Queen Seondok show and it's some really solid Exalted inspiration. Also, the actress who plays the main villain can say things that might take a lesser actor a short monologue with a mere quirk of an eyebrow, it's amazing.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
                        -Roger Zelazny

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          Straight martial arts tend to be more modern, and lack the gods, demons and Taoist wizards of Wuxia.

Essentially, Wuxia is a fantasy genre and Kung Fu is an action genre.

In fact, gods, immortals/wizards and demons are not a necessary part of wuxia. Lots of wuxia novels, comics and movies don't count on fantasy settings (if we except things like the use of qing gong and other absurdly powerful kung fus of course which are part of what permit the legendary type of storytelling in this genre).
                          Wuxia is a genre where most of the stakes are about the cultures of and the interactions between Jianghu (the outcasts), Wulin (the martial artists) and a cruel Chinese environment (an ancient or medieval China most of the time). Lots of Wuxia have more fantasy elements than those implied by the use of martial arts in this type of settings, but there is a sub-genre of wuxia (which exceeds it) named Xianxia where the story is specifically about gods, demons, mythological beasts and where the protagonist being one of the few but not rare immortals/wizards/demigods in his world makes most of the plot and the settings.

I'm sorry for my bad english. ^^

And the last Xianxia series I loved was the anime "Mo Dao Zu Shi". ^^
                          I don't know if some one talked about it before. ^^

And Hi, it's my first time writing something in the forum. ^^)/
                          Last edited by RosePlancton; 10-25-2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RosePlancton View Post

In fact, gods, immortals/wizards and demons are not a necessary part of wuxia. Lots of wuxia novels, comics and movies don't count on fantasy settings (if we except things like the use of qing gong and other absurdly powerful kung fus of course which are part of what permit the legendary type of storytelling in this genre).
                            Wuxia is a genre where most of the stakes are about the cultures of and the interactions between Jianghu (the outcasts), Wulin (the martial artists) and a cruel Chinese environment (an ancient or medieval China most of the time). Lots of Wuxia have more fantasy elements than those implied by the use of martial arts in this type of settings, but there is a sub-genre of wuxia (which exceeds it) named Xianxia where the story is specifically about gods, demons, mythological beasts and where the protagonist being one of the few but not rare immortals/wizards/demigods in his world makes most of the plot and the settings.

I'm sorry for my bad english. ^^

And the last Xianxia series I loved was the anime "Mo Dao Zu Shi". ^^
                            I don't know if some one talked about it before. ^^

And Hi, it's my first time writing something in the forum. ^^)/
                            And an awesome first post it is! Welcome to the party :-D

I'm not personally familiar with that one but I'm always up for checking things out.

Comment

Xianxia tends to get into some silly scales, but you get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                                Xianxia tends to get into some silly scales, but you get used to it.
                                Those silly scales can be excellent late game Exalted inspiration, though. Feng Shen Ji is one I read in particular that's ripe for the picking.

Comment

Working...
                                X