No announcement yet.

Wuxia recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen some that pretty much went tengen toppa gurren lagann wild. Fun stuff, but it's important to keep perspective hahahahaha

Comment

I'm still exploring the xianxia genre but I found that lots of xianxia stories and authors had more problems with their heroes always being too competent for the struggles/conflicts they were involved in. I personally had more problems with that than with their characters being absurdly powerful. But I chose Mo Dao Zu Shi because I really think it's an excellent xianxia anime. ^^

Thanks a lot SamuraiMujuru ^^
      And yeah, I really think that xianxia settings is a good inspiration when I'm working on my exalted campaign, for example when I'm helping my players with our first age incarnations stories or when I'm working on the sidereal mood in my stories. X)
      I'm doing my best to only create "original" and "authentic" things for my settings, but having some sidereals with flying swords is too cool. XD

Comment

Originally posted by RosePlancton View Post
        I'm still exploring the xianxia genre but I found that lots of xianxia stories and authors had more problems with their heroes always being too competent for the struggles/conflicts they were involved in. I personally had more problems with that than with their characters being absurdly powerful. But I chose Mo Dao Zu Shi because I really think it's an excellent xianxia anime. ^^

Thanks a lot SamuraiMujuru ^^
        And yeah, I really think that xianxia settings is a good inspiration when I'm working on my exalted campaign, for example when I'm helping my players with our first age incarnations stories or when I'm working on the sidereal mood in my stories. X)
        I'm doing my best to only create "original" and "authentic" things for my settings, but having some sidereals with flying swords is too cool. XD
        Xianxia does run into similar problems as shonen battle anime on that protagonist competence issue, though I personally give it a bit of a pass since it's usually the character actively working on improving rather than them being the destined chosen one or what have you.

I tracked down the comics for Mo Dao Zu Shi, so I'm looking forward to reading it. I think a friend has been posting about in on Facebook, much to my surprise. I mentioned it a couple posts back, but if you haven't already, check out Feng Shen Ji. Also there's a webcomic called Kill Six Billion Demons that scratches a very similar itch

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge

Comment

I'd recommend the anime or the novel over the comics, the pace being far more slower in the comics. ><

EDIT: Feng Shen Ji, I just remembered ! D:
          I read lots of, I stopped because of college exams and not finding what was my last page anymore a few months later I never finished it. :'(
          Now I want to start this manhua again. X)
          But first, Kill Six Billions Demons.

EDIT: Okay, KSBD makes me want to draw again X)
          It's really cool. X)
          Last edited by RosePlancton; 10-26-2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

It may sound silly, but have you considered Kung Fu Panda?
            It's got old masters, ancient prisons, priceless relics and roof-hopping combat action
            The last installment even has a villain from the spirit realm, duel-wielding jade cleavers

Comment

I'm sad to report that Jin Yong, aka Louis Cha, has died on Tuesday, October 30. He was 94. A huge loss to all who love great martial arts stories.

Comment

Originally posted by RosePlancton View Post
                I'd recommend the anime or the novel over the comics, the pace being far more slower in the comics. ><

EDIT: Feng Shen Ji, I just remembered ! D:
                I read lots of, I stopped because of college exams and not finding what was my last page anymore a few months later I never finished it. :'(
                Now I want to start this manhua again. X)
                But first, Kill Six Billions Demons.

EDIT: Okay, KSBD makes me want to draw again X)
                It's really cool. X)
                Glad you're enjoying KSBD!

Feng Shen Ji goes absolutely balls to the wall in its final arcs, so I definitely recommend picking it back up.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge

Comment

Haha, I was considering whether to mention xianxia, but I can see people already did, so I might as well bring some up.

The webnovel I Shall Seal The Heavens is a good example in terms of an overpowered protagonist who is constantly on the run because he's a threat to the ruling families and established powers. (This is a pretty common setup in xianxia, which is one of the things that makes the genre a good reference for Exalted in many ways.)

Comment

Working...
                  X