Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcain's Codex: Compendium of Domesticated Rulings an Constructs

Overview
    The following is a few new things I have added to my exalted campaigns for various reasons, but I feel worked very well in the overall exalted setting. Because of this I think there are others who may want to use these for their game or their own characters. They include some mild rule changes, new merits, new tags for guns and explosives, and examples of guns and explosives.

A note to the reader, these rules do not need to be taken as a whole, you as the GM or with your GM may decide what parts of these rules you would like to leverage. The Change to Ranged Aiming and the Sharp Shooter merit tend to go together but you do not need them to leverage the new Tags and Weapons later. The Ranged Aiming was a personal rule change that simply works better for me and my enjoyment of the game.

Ranged Aiming
    Making a ranged attack from great distances without an aim action should not be impossible in the world of exalted, so firing a bow at a target from mid range should not automatically miss just because you did not aim first. Mortals have been known to make such once in a million shots let alone exalted. If you make a Medium Range band attack without taking an aim action you will suffer a -4 penalty that increases to -6 at longe range and -8 at Extreme. You cannot make this attack if you have already used your move action and may not make a move action until your next turn. Your ranged weapon must also be capable of firing at the desired range, and you must have at least 1 non-charm related dice remaining after all penalties have been applied.

Merits

Sharp Shooter
    (****) - Purchased
    Prerequisite: Perception 4 and Archery 5 or Thrown 5
    The character has trained rigorously to sharpen her ability to strike a target at great distances with either her Archery or Thrown ability. Purchasing this merit allows reduces the penalty for taking Medium Range attacks to -2. (See Ranged Aiming)

Tags

Deadly - Weapons with this tag gain +1 to their Damage Rating

Durable - Armor with this tag gains +1 to their Soak

Explosive - A thrown weapon with this tag does not add strength to the raw damage, instead it adds +2 to the raw damage to hit the specified target. The attack also hits every significant character within the indicated range in parenthesis, non-battle group characters (including allies) caught in the blast must make a Dexterity + Dodge check at difficulty 4, if they fail they loose 2 initiative which is not transferred to the attacker. Battle groups add another +2 to the raw damage. Explosive weapons are destroyed after use.

Fortified - Weapons with this tag gain an additional +1 to their defenses

Gun - Archery weapons of this type do not add strength to the weapon's raw damage, instead it grants a number of dice equal to the value immediately indicated after the tag in parenthesis

Hardened - Armor with this tag gains +2 to the Armor's Hardness rating

Honed - Weapons with this tag gain an additional +1 to their accuracy rating

Light - Armor with this tag subtracts 1 from it's mobility penalty with a minimum of 0

Reload - Archery weapons with this tag need to be reloaded after the specified number of shots indicated in parenthesis and is performed as a miscellaneous action in combat. The action may be be flurried unless the weapon possesses the Slow tag.

Slow - Archery weapons with this tag have a complicated reloading procedure that requires a miscellaneous action that cannot be flurried.

Yellow Jade - Artifact weapons and armor with this tag reduce their attunement cost by 2 motes minimum of 1.

Tag Explanation:
    Usage of these tags is left to the discretion of the GM to reward players for making exceptional mundane weapons and armor which can be sold off for profit or used by the players or their followers / soldiers. It can also be used to reward exceptional Role Playing and adventuring. Ultimately as the GM it is your choice to add one of these tags to a weapon.

Guns and Explosives hold the same Archery or Thrown tags (respectively) as any other of their type. The Archery and Thrown tag already come with a range already set for them indicating the distance you can them at so this mechanic remains the same as it does in the book. The Explosive tag uses a similar mechanic to indicate how big the explosion is, most will hit everything in close range with a few at short (allies included). The Gun and Reload tags follow this idea but using a number instead. For the Gun tag that number indicates the damage to add for a bullet fired by the weapon while the Reload tag indicates how many shots can be fired before reloading.

Light Tag tends to represent an armor smiths ability to produce an ultra light steel but maintain it's structural integrity, this can be done through special furnaces or special materials heated with the steel and generally should probably require an exceptional success to produce.

Yellow Jade is extremely rare, it is not a naturally occurring type of jade you can go mining for. Yellow Jade is the product of an accident, a happy accident, but an accident non-the-less. Accidents are not reproduce able, even if the crafter attempts the same process they will not obtain yellow jade again from that process. Because of this you would never make an entire artifact from Yellow Jade it is meant to be used in combination with other Magical Materials to obtain the effect. Generally a superior crafting project using jade is the minimum requirement for this happy accident that occurs once in a million during a botched or failed crafting endeavor and cannot be made again with the same process. Furthermore the "entire" amount of jade used may not be turned to Yellow Jade, only a few ounces may be discolored to yellow. GM discretion advised.

Exceptional Weapons and Armor Amendment
    Rather than grant no reward for the purchase or crafting of an exceptional mundane weapon or armor I find adding an additional tag to the weapon can give it the edge it deserves. The tags such as Balanced, Deadly, Durable, Hardened, Honed, and Light can add that nice touch for hard work or shrewd negotiating. I also do not suggest adding these tags to Artifact Weapons your players create as artifact weapons are already exceptional.

Weapons

Blunder Buss

Light Archery Weapon
    A short barreled large bored gun with a flared muzzle used for devastating short ranged attacks. It requires firedust or blackpowder and metal pellets
    Tags: Archery(short), Gun(4), Reload(1), Lethal, Mounted, One-Handed

Concussion Grenade
    Light Thrown Weapon
    This weapon is primarily used to throw your enemy off their game with a powerful blast.
    Tags: Thrown(short), Explosive(close), Bashing

Fragmentation Grenade
    Light Thrown Weapon
    This weapon is a deadly variant on the Concussion Grenade as it is meant to inflict great damage on everyone caught in it's blast
    Tags: Thrown(short), Explosive(close), Lethal

Six Shooter Revolver
    Light Archery Weapon
    A short barreled yet sophisticated weapon crafted by a brilliant gunsmith. The weapon can hold six cartridge bullets at a time, each with a resource 2 to purchase from smiths.
    Tags: Archery(Medium), Gun(3), Reload(6), Lethal, Mounted, One-Handed, Piercing

Long Shot Rifle
    Medium Archery Weapon
    A single long barreled gun that allows the insertion of a single bullet.
    Tags: Archery(Long), Gun(4), Reload(1), Lethal, Two-Handed, Piercing, Slow

A Note on Guns and Explosives
    In the world of exalted where magic, not science, rules the world the addition of guns is something of a paradigm shift especially with the existence of substances such as firedust. Like the crossbow of the Haslanti League such a weapon should be rare, wondrous, a game changer, and have a darn good reason for its existence from a character's story perspective. Walking up to a random smith in creation to craft your bullets should be considered a dangerous task as there should be someone out to get the secrets of such a weapon (such as the Guild).

In my western Campaign the character with the gun obtained it from another character who built it while working for the guild and escaped, now the guild is hunting him down and trying to replicate the weapon. Similarly my East campaign the character with the explosives wanted to make fireworks, which the guild wanted to turn into bombs and explosives.

Crafting Black Powder
    For all intensive purposes black powder does not exist in creation and has not been created... yet. The substance is utilized heavily for crafting bullets with the absence of firedust which could be considered much more volatile and dangerous to use than black-powder, not to mention expensive if you are not playing in the south. To make Black powder you need Craft(Alchemy) or equivalent craft ability and the ingredients of saltpeter, coal, and sulfur as well as a proper work station for mixing these substances. This is a difficulty 3 basic project that requires one or two hours to complete. The resource cost of of these ingredients should only be between 1 and 2 resources as they are not very expensive.

Crafting Bullets
    To make a bullet you would need a Craft(gunsmith) or Craft(blacksmith) to produce the casings and slugs along with some sort of explosive substance such as firedust or black-powder. The casings and slugs will require either custom workings or moulds specific to the character's gun, generally blacksmiths and armor-smiths will have to workshop and tools for this. There are many ways to manufacture ammunition for these weapons and it is much up to the flavor of your game. Generally casings will be made of some hard metal such as steel or copper while slugs of a softer metal such as lead, gold, silver, copper, and tin. Casings and slugs can be reused if you can retrieve them and reforge them reducing the difficulty of making new ones. If your players need to pump out some crafting xp than you can breakup the process by having them craft the casings and slugs separately (as well as the black powder) as basic projects only taking a few hours. The Casings will have a difficulty of about 4-5 due to the need to hammer the metal into sheets then form them into moulds while the slugs will only require a difficulty 2. You can also use a Major project to mass produce your bullets provided you have the tools to do so.

Special Thanks
    I'd like to give special thanks to Sandact6, Carrot Crusher, and Amayad for their feed back and suggestions.
    Last edited by ArcainOne; 10-11-2018, 02:28 PM.

Obvious question: do you just not have archers with Athletics charms? There's a reason that long-range attacks take an aim action now, and if you give Sharpshooter to a Solar with Monkey Leap Technique and a bow, you'll find out why.

Comment

You have several issues here.
      • Sharp Shooter: Being able to attack at medium range without aiming is powerful, incredibly powerful. It allows potential for attacking at medium range and them moving away to long range to escape most forms of retribution and rush attacks. It allows escape trivially easily as one can move into the Extreme range brand and go to ground (and chances are you'll win). If you're going to make this a thing then you'll need to heavily retool how things work in the game at a base level. You'd need to rework how rushes work (possibly movement) and heavily retool Athletics charms (or anything that gives rushes).
      • Weapon Tags: You are aware that these tags will make people choose weapons such such tags over weapons that lack them right? Why do you feel the need to add such things? Is that Honed tag granting +2 additional dice? Are you aware that places it far ahead of nearly every other tag in the game?
      • Explosives: Attacking everyone in the blast? What blast radius? Do you get the initiative from such opponents? Are you aware that attacking everyone in close range with a same power withering attack is an Essence 4 Solar charm? Why would you place this on a weapon literally anyone can get access to?

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
      Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by Amayad View Post
        Obvious question: do you just not have archers with Athletics charms? There's a reason that long-range attacks take an aim action now, and if you give Sharpshooter to a Solar with Monkey Leap Technique and a bow, you'll find out why.
        Well sharp shooter is only supposed to work up to medium range. But another point was brought up that definitely makes since involving the aim and rush mechanic. For me, it does bugs me that a Mid range shot automatically fails with out an aim, as such a shot is possible in real life. So maybe there is away to rework Sharpshooter or just plain do not use it. I'll be thinking about it and update. This could also be simply my idea about the actual distance of the abstract range bands. Close seems to be about a meter or a yard. Short I tend to imagine 3-5 meters and yards which is close enough to rush into melee combat or stand at an accurate throwing distance. Medium I have at say is about 10-30ish meters or yards which seems ideal for shooting distances with a bow. Having to aim for Long Distance shots makes perfect sense that I imagine is at least up to a 100+ meters or yards.

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post
        Sharp Shooter: Being able to attack at medium range without aiming is powerful, incredibly powerful. It allows potential for attacking at medium range and them moving away to long range to escape most forms of retribution and rush attacks. It allows escape trivially easily as one can move into the Extreme range brand and go to ground (and chances are you'll win). If you're going to make this a thing then you'll need to heavily retool how things work in the game at a base level. You'd need to rework how rushes work (possibly movement) and heavily retool Athletics charms (or anything that gives rushes).
        This is a fair point, actually my players rarely fight at medium range, they like to maximize their accuracy bonus. There are a few ways around this, just don't use Sharpshooter for one. Allow rushing at medium range (not really a fan of this one), provide bonus to accuracy at medium range for sharp shooters instead. I honestly thought of this one only a few days ago.

Weapon Tags: You are aware that these tags will make people choose weapons such such tags over weapons that lack them right? Why do you feel the need to add such things? Is that Honed tag granting +2 additional dice? Are you aware that places it far ahead of nearly every other tag in the game?
        You are aware no weapons in the game charts have these tags right? Many of them are meant as a reward for hard work and crafting, representing high quality and unique weapons. Actually I do contest your statement about Honed, having +2 to accuracy is, on average, equal to only 1 additional success which would be equal to +1 pre-soak withering damage or +1 Defense, or the balanced tag ensuring you get at least +1 post soak withering dice on your attack (which is actually more powerful than the honed tag).

Explosives: Attacking everyone in the blast? What blast radius? Do you get the initiative from such opponents? Are you aware that attacking everyone in close range with a same power withering attack is an Essence 4 Solar charm? Why would you place this on a weapon literally anyone can get access to?
        Yes! You ever see a special forces team scatter like the wind at the sight of a grenade? The guy who threw that grenade, he won the initiative! Yes explosives are dangerous and powerful and I talk about that in my post. You would not want just anyone to have these weapons and they do provide a tactical problem when used among your fellow players, further more you are not just going to have these as your "primary weapon" they should be used carefully and they should probably be way more effective against battle groups. To you question about what is the blast radius, it is part of the Explosive Tag it comes in parenthesis like Archery and Thrown. That said, you have provided me some excellent insight which I will leverage to tweak these items. I wanted the tag to be short and sweet with an easy meaning, maybe you only get the highest initiative you gained against an opponent, or you only gain initiative against the target you threw it at.

Anyway like I said you have given me a few things to think about and I thank you for the feedback. I'll fiddle around with some ideas and make updates, after all this was just somethings I did for MY game that seemed to work well. Thought I'd give others some ideas and get some thoughts back on what I've done. If you have any ideas on explosives I'd love to hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcainOne View Post
          You are aware no weapons in the game charts have these tags right? Many of them are meant as a reward for hard work and crafting, representing high quality and unique weapons. Actually I do contest your statement about Honed, having +2 to accuracy is, on average, equal to only 1 additional success which would be equal to +1 pre-soak withering damage or +1 Defense, or the balanced tag ensuring you get at least +1 post soak withering dice on your attack (which is actually more powerful than the honed tag).
          That would be all well and dandy in a game without effects that have a lot of conditions that activate up landing a hit, but Exalted is one of those games. Accuracy is probably THE most important stat in combat because its the gatekeeper of how to get initiative to KO your opponent and not to die. Having weapons that give such an effect for free all the time has an insane power boost over other effects mainly because of the nasty shit Exalts can do. So no it isn't just one extra pre-soak or defense, its literally a rider that greatly amplifies your chances of landing a hit. Balanced isn't even remotely comparable, as that +1 post soak involves hitting the opponent in the first place.

The other tags? Doesn't matter if you make them via hard work for crafting. You should look for side upgrades rather than raw power upgrades. Look for doing things in an interesting fashion rather than a straight stat boost.

Yes! You ever see a special forces team scatter like the wind at the sight of a grenade? The guy who threw that grenade, he won the initiative! Yes explosives are dangerous and powerful and I talk about that in my post. You would not want just anyone to have these weapons and they do provide a tactical problem when used among your fellow players, further more you are not just going to have these as your "primary weapon" they should be used carefully and they should probably be way more effective against battle groups. To you question about what is the blast radius, it is part of the Explosive Tag it comes in parenthesis like Archery and Thrown. That said, you have provided me some excellent insight which I will leverage to tweak these items. I wanted the tag to be short and sweet with an easy meaning, maybe you only get the highest initiative you gained against an opponent, or you only gain initiative against the target you threw it at.
          Little hint: Things that are true in reality do not always replicate well in game mechanics. If you use them for your own game that's well and dandy, but if you're going to suggest them for others you're going to have to spot these things, mainly such things as "How this weapon completely dominates and overpowers most other weapons". Let's say you throw a grenade and do 10, 8, and 7 damage to three opponents. You may gain 11i, but overall you deal 25i damage. This is a significant power boost compared to other weapons. Incredibly so. You don't want to make one weapon laughably better than the others.

Don't say its difficult to make either. Well prepared Exalts with even a few crafting and bureaucracy charms will find obtaining such things laughable. Making it rare and hard to make doesn't apply for mundane weapons as much.

Anyway like I said you have given me a few things to think about and I thank you for the feedback. I'll fiddle around with some ideas and make updates, after all this was just somethings I did for MY game that seemed to work well. Thought I'd give others some ideas and get some thoughts back on what I've done. If you have any ideas on explosives I'd love to hear them.
          See above for the my game thing. If it worked for you that's fine. I often do horrifically powerful stuff in my own games as well. As for suggestions I did a Firearm's homebrew a while back, but I admit that I've been recently thinking of making each gun have their own Strength Value, which I'll be doing in another project later on.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
          Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

For me, it does bugs me that a Mid range shot automatically fails with out an aim, as such a shot is possible in real life.
            I wasn't aware medium range and aim actions were things in real life!

Comment

If it works in your game, go for it. But in general I am of this opinion:

Ranged aiming: I would be extremely hesistant to allow this, even if the penalties were -6, -12, -18. MIGHT be fine if you add in that they cannot move on the same turn as when they are shooting, but even then you would need to plan every encounter around "How do I challange my flying archer this time"

Sharp shooter - Fine for NPCs, but would put it as a charm with a decent cost for PCs so it can't be spammed.

Deadly - A strict upgrade of balanced, maybe add in a cost of 1 init? Making it a weaker but less punishing smashing. And arent all weapons worth their salt deadly? I can imagine a balanced weapon, a smashing weapon, a piercing weapon. But a deadly weapon is any weapon, at least any weapon with the lethal tag. Kinda petty, but I suggest a name change.

Durable - Be real careful with this one. Especially if artifact armor can have it. Otherwise it is not a huge deal as most PCs would want the superior artifact armors anyways.

Explosive - Way too strong. I suggest something like: Every character in the blast must make an athletics+dexterity check against a difficulty of 2 (or something) or be knocked prone as they throw themselves out of harms way. Battle groups take +3 raw damage instead of rolling. It should always be paired with your slow tag or some other significant drawback.

Gun - Is fine.

Hardened - Seems fine, can't see how it would break anything.

Honed - WAY to strong. And what physical attribute(s) makes a weapon honed?

Light - If it is light, why is it not a weight class lower then? A light articulated plate should offer less protection too, simply making it medium should represent that fine. Be very careful using this tag.

Reload - It is fine if you want to count bullets. Kinda ruins oppertunity for cool stunts and such though.

Slow - Seems fine

Yellow jade - Artifacts have variable attunement already. On artifacts PCs find, you can decide their attunement. On artifacts they make and they want lower attunement, discuss with them how it could be done with some awesome component or something. Seems pointless and limiting for no perticular reason.

Comment

If an Exalted craftsman wants to make high-quality and unique weapons, they can! Those are called "Artifacts." Mundanely superior crafting is way too easy for an Exalt for these tags not to be commonplace.

Int 5, Craft 5, Craftsman Needs No Tools, Brass Scales Falling, Red Anvils Ringing.

That's not a Craft Supernal Twilight, that's a Dawn who's a blacksmith. He's a War supernal, as it happens. Within a day of labor, he's worked up 30 silver XP and made:

http://A Honed shortsword!: 22d10 105

http://A Fortified shield!: 22d10 105

http://A Durable breastplate!: 22d10 93

+6 accuracy,, +7 damage, +2 Defense (?!?) 5 Soak and 2 Overwhelming. Not bad for a day's work and no attunement.
                Last edited by Amayad; 10-10-2018, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Made some adjustments form the feed back I have gotten. Not Aiming at Medium Range consumes your movement action as well. Sharp Shooter only really applies if you want to use the Medium Range Rule and it only reduces the penalty for doing a medium ranged attack to -2 (ONLY medium range). Honed is now only a +1 to accuracy. Made suggested modification to Explosive. As noted Reload is an ammunition counter and can get in the way of the action, but it can also generate drama and tension. Sorry I'm keeping Yellow Jade, you don't have to use it but I have a weird fascination with the stuff. Generally Artifact Weapons are not meant to have any of the custom tags I have added, my intention was to only use them for exceptional mundane weapons; and at GM discretion. However if you really wanted to give your players an artifact sword with these tags you could, but I decided long ago not to... that is just me, but I also like to keep options open as a GM.

Comment

Sorry I'm keeping Yellow Jade, you don't have to use it but I have a weird fascination with the stuff. Generally Artifact Weapons are not meant to have any of the custom tags I have added, my intention was to only use them for exceptional mundane weapons; and at GM discretion. However if you really wanted to give your players an artifact sword with these tags you could, but I decided long ago not to... that is just me, but I also like to keep options open as a GM.
                    So why is Yellow Jade a tag rather than a magic material?

The Freedom Stone is back

Comment

At the very least, I'd strongly recommend ditching the Fortified tag. Medium weapons already rule the roost because they give +1 to defense, and even Artifact medium weapons don't give +2. As it stands, I'd be a fool not to include a Fortified shield on everybody with a free hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                        So why is Yellow Jade a tag rather than a magic material?
                        Throw back to the Yellow Jade of 2nd edition, the stuff fascinated me as one of its properties was that it reduced the attunement cost of artifacts made with the stuff, but yellow jade is not a natural substance, it has to be "accidently" produced and there was no known guaranteed way to repeat the processes that made it even when it did happen. Basically if your players where trying to make Yellow Jade they would never get it, but if their lab blew up from a botch while trying to make something out of jade there was a chance they may make some yellow jade. Generally you would not want to build an entire weapon or armor out of yellow jade, there usually just is not enough of it to go around. You'd use a combination of another magical material with yellow jade to reap the effect. So you would produce an Green Jade Daiklave that is resonate with Wood caste Dragon Blooded or an Orichalcum Daiklaive resonate with solars, but with the Yellow Jade tag to indicate a reduced commitment cost. Just so I am clear, as a GM, I would never allow my players to mass produce this stuff. It may reward it after a long story at the end the resident crafter finds a few ounces of it to make a cool sword or armor with, or if he spent 2 or more in game years working on a jade artifact and botched hey may come out with a bit of yellow jade (but only once).

Originally posted by Amayad View Post
                        At the very least, I'd strongly recommend ditching the Fortified tag. Medium weapons already rule the roost because they give +1 to defense, and even Artifact medium weapons don't give +2. As it stands, I'd be a fool not to include a Fortified shield on everybody with a free hand.
                        I could see this, none of my players use shields (now that I think about it) so I neglected that thought. The Fortified Tag in probably (in my opinion) one of the most powerful tags I have up there. It may be a melee weapon only tag as in just not compatible with shields. I shall meditate upon this.

Comment

I could see this, none of my players use shields (now that I think about it) so I neglected that thought. The Fortified Tag in probably (in my opinion) one of the most powerful tags I have up there. It may be a melee weapon only tag as in just not compatible with shields. I shall meditate upon this.
                          Any one-handed Medium weapon will do. Replace "shield" with "straight sword" if you like.

Comment

Working...
                          X