Eclipse Charms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse Charms

Okay, for the first time... I think ever, I've been considering playing an Eclipse. I haven't been buying the monthly antagonist PDFs, since I don't really have any immediate plans to act as a storyteller, but are there any Eclipse charms in the entries that've come out so far?

Also... what makes a good Eclipse charm? I don't think there's a single answer to this personally but I'm curious as to people's perspectives on the question. What should an Eclipse charm do? What should it feel like to use one? To learn one?

I think one good standard for Eclipse Charms are things that play into the mystical world-walker element by providing new methods of personal movement or communication.

Also being able to occasionally get ahold of a spirit's personal unique and weird powers that aren't really comparable to and don't synergize with Solar Charms.

Look at What Fire Has Wrought suggests with somebody having gotten a power to extract fear as a freaky fruit. It's very godly, and can be circumstantially useful, and overall adds a unique dimension to play experience. It's not the most overwhelming power somebody might get from a spirit, and probably has no interaction with Solar Charms.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Charms native to your own Exaltation come naturally to you. Sometimes with practice and training to overcome a hurdle, but also sometimes in the midst of a crisis. I'd want to talk it over before springing a mid-combat power-up, but it could be a lot of fun to play through the trope of digging deep within yourself during a crisis.

Perhaps that's more so or less so for Abilities that are Caste, Favored, or Supernal.

Martial Arts Charms are learned by rigorous practice.

Lores are learned by studying or accumulating life experiences.

Spells are learned by study and unlocking secrets of Creation and Essence.

I think those are all pretty canonical - at least, that's how I like to present them, for comparison!

I'd treat Eclipse Charms a bit like a Gift, from Werewolf. It isn't a power normally intrinsic to you, but some entities can give them to you. It might be a matter of teaching and practice, but there are plenty of other possibilities:

In the course of defeating a recalcitrant god, you discover the secret to one of his Charms. Fighting a storm spirit who turns into mist to avoid your Circle's attacks, you discover how to turn into mist as well.

A Lunar might cut, tattoo, or brand you with the knowledge, so you're sure to remember it. A Liminal might just affix some stitches. A pattern of an eye on the back of your neck might Reflexively warn you when an incorporeal spirit is sneaking up on you.

A demon might strike a bargain with you, to whisper a secret knowledge into your ear. You didn't expect your summoned Neomah to beg you to deal with her cruel previous summoner - but when you did, she took you aside and...

A god with a physical panoply might give you an item that embodies the Charm. You wouldn't have to keep it or wield it - having received it at all confers the Charm. A god of the deep seas rewards you with a scrimshaw narwhal horn from his collection, and you realize you can hear the formation and dissipation of storms and currents for thousands of miles.

As above, but having stolen it or bargained for some item. Legends say that the Vizier of Sand and Fire has a brazier that confers knowledge to those who meditate in its fumes. Your Circle-mates each picked up a Lore, but to you, a greater knowledge appeared in the smoke....

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Good thread idea!
        I was thinking of maybe making a thread that lists Eclipse charms out so far, so this is good.

This is what I've got, but I might have missed one, and I don't have all of the pdfs, maybe just about 2/3rds. So please, others add any I've missed (don't put the rules though, just a description and which pdf they're in).

So, from Adversaries of the Righteous
        Whispered Unrest (Spreads hate and anger. From Fivefold Masks and Lies)
        Municipal Protection Decree (Lets you manipulate scenery briefly in a city where you have authority. From Adeimantus)
        Wishful Temptation Appeal (Gives people ties to the Fae city of Beimeni-Ta. From Adeimantus)

Hundred Devils Night Parade
        Soul-Thieving Method (Steal motes instead of initiative. From the Doppleganger)
        Symphony of Woe (Your JB roll is also a roll to inspire dread. From the Rantai)
        Stolen Voice (Your appearance subtly shifts to your target's Tie's appearance, giving you bonuses on a bargain. From the Rantai)
        Wind-Whistling Trick (Use a gust of wind to lift things or attack at range. From the Cloud Person)
        Fortuitous Meeting (Help people get a lucky chance meeting... by biting them? I think. It's not clear. From Plentimon's Ladybug)
        Patient Hunter's Sandtrap (Hide beneath the sand to trap people. From the Steel Eater)

Exalted Core Rules
        Curse of the Dead (Curses people with nightmares. From the Honoured Ancestor.)
        Black Breath of the Abyss (Breath out darkness which Undead can see through. From the Mortwright.)
        Broken Earth's Anguish (Sense when intruders enter the territory of a Dog of Unbroken Earth.)
        Towering Wheat Blessing (Make plants grow. From the Field Guardian)
        Legendary Reaper (Harvest an entire field in one day. From the Field Guardian)
        Storm-Stirring Lash (Create a huge rainstorm at sea. From the Storm Mother)
        Wrath From the Sky (During a storm, call down lightning. From the Storm Mother)
        Immolating Pyre (Create an eruption of fire around yourself. From the Garda Bird)
        Prismatic Sea-Spoor Streamers (While swimming, create rainbow streamers to confuse or guide ships. From the Tidemare)
        Racing Sailfish Surge (Move really fast underwater. From the Tidemare.)
        Seductive Shapechange (Sculpt yourself into someone's ideal mate. From the Neomah.)
        Night-Black Carapace (Create night-black armour. From Alveua.)

Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 10-11-2018, 02:14 PM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

An Eclipse charm should be a fun, weird trick. It should be a situationally useful power that is flavorful and the fact that you have this power should say something about your character.

It should not be a thing that can combine with your existing charms to make you uber powerful. If you make an Eclipse keyword charm that could theoretically do that, like the Neomah Seductive Shapechange, you should include language that says it doesn’t stack or combine with other effects, again like the Neomah charm.

Comment

I like the notion that they walk into the narrative of taking the nature of another being so to as more effectively build alliances, peace, prosperity with those beings. That they can you can imagine sort of make the Eclipse Caste not exactly human in nature ways that incline otherwordly beings to trust that the Eclipse is a honest broker of peace to beings of the sort they are moving towards.

(I think maybe part of the fun of Eclipses is that as well as being very worldly and of the human sphere, you're also free to set them up to be a bit more liminal in their loyalties and nature towards the human world than other Solars, and have a bit of mythic Loki trickster quality where you like them but are not always sure if you trust them, on top of the base Solar thematics).

Other fun things are Charms that are not obviously powerful or nature shifting - little tricks they've swindled from hostile spirits or learned through a personal connection with dear ones - but are great at facilitating Eclipses to show off their cunning and cleverness (rather a defining quality of the Caste) by being of great effect when used smartly in the right context.

(This is all a bit more me going on a tangent on broader thematics and situations than anything too useful in evaluating a particular Charm though).

Comment

So, exactly what is an eclipse charm? I went looking through the core book, but I can't find any information on what this means.

"At the risk of sounding like a murder hobo"

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

Originally posted by Inertial Frame View Post
                So, exactly what is an eclipse charm? I went looking through the core book, but I can't find any information on what this means.
                Charms tagged with the eclipse keyword. These are spirit charms that an Eclipse caste Solar can learn and use. Sort of a compromise to enable them to still do the person of many worlds with the supernatural tricks even among other solars thing, but not the hell of minmaxed power that access to all charms gave them in 2e.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                  Good thread idea!
                  I was thinking of maybe making a thread that lists Eclipse charms out so far, so this is good.

This is what I've got, but I might have missed one, and I don't have all of the pdfs, maybe just about 2/3rds. So please, others add any I've missed (don't put the rules though, just a description and which pdf they're in).

So, from Adversaries of the Righteous
                  Whispered Unrest (Spreads hate and anger. From Fivefold Masks and Lies)
                  Municipal Protection Decree (Lets you manipulate scenery briefly in a city where you have authority. From Adeimantus)
                  Wishful Temptation Appeal (Gives people ties to the Fae city of Beimeni-Ta. From Adeimantus)

Soul-Thieving Method (Steal motes instead of initiative. From the Doppleganger)
                  Symphony of Woe (Your JB roll is also a roll to inspire dread. From the Rantai)
                  Stolen Voice (Your appearance subtly shifts to your target's Tie's appearance, giving you bonuses on a bargain. From the Rantai)
                  Wind-Whistling Trick (Use a gust of wind to lift things or attack at range. From the Cloud Person)
                  Fortuitous Meeting (Help people get a lucky chance meeting... by biting them? I think. It's not clear. From Plentimon's Ladybug)
                  Patient Hunter's Sandtrap (Hide beneath the sand to trap people. From the Steel Eater)

Exalted Core Rules
                  Curse of the Dead (Curses people with nightmares. From the Honoured Ancestor.)
                  Black Breath of the Abyss (Breath out darkness which Undead can see through. From the Mortwright.)
                  Broken Earth's Anguish (Sense when intruders enter the territory of a Dog of Unbroken Earth.)
                  Towering Wheat Blessing (Make plants grow. From the Field Guardian)
                  Legendary Reaper (Harvest an entire field in one day. From the Field Guardian)
                  Storm-Stirring Lash (Create a huge rainstorm at sea. From the Storm Mother)
                  Wrath From the Sky (During a storm, call down lightning. From the Storm Mother)
                  Immolating Pyre (Create an eruption of fire around yourself. From the Garda Bird)
                  Prismatic Sea-Spoor Streamers (While swimming, create rainbow streamers to confuse or guide ships. From the Tidemare)
                  Racing Sailfish Surge (Move really fast underwater. From the Tidemare.)
                  Seductive Shapechange (Sculpt yourself into someone's ideal mate. From the Neomah.)
                  Night-Black Carapace (Create night-black armour. From Alveua.)
                  Frozen Trail (create ice trail over water. From the Aughdighe)
                  Chilling Barghest's Howl (make a shout that inspires fear. From the Barrow Hound)
                  Malignant Portent Prose (Make a duplicate that carries a portent of doom. From the Barrow Hound)
                  See Sun's Reflection (heat vision. From the Lodestar)

May you live in interesting times...

Storyteller of Sun Forged Oath

Comment

Cool, thanks. Those are from ones I don't have. I'll edit them in later. What's the Aughdighe?

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Ice horse I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X