Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Realm generals survive on the march?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
    Even if you get other members of the nobility to be your night guards, which is impressive enough
    Hmm? Bodyguard duty for the general isn't grunt work assigned to the privates that have pissed off their sergeants; this isn't a modern military in a state with a fully centralized military bureaucracy a phone call away.

Bodyguard details are going to be prestige assignments (the generals will have the the independence to make them prestige assignments, and will), and they're going to be the position in the army where a young DB will be best able to have close and regular contact with a fairly senior member of the Dynasty, making a valuable connection. Even if a given young Dynast doesn't have the sense to see that, their household matriarchs will, and will point it out to them. And any outcastes looking to their future after retirement will certainly grab such opportunities with both hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      It seemed to me that the proposition was centred on the image of a Lunar who goes for the Exalted at the top of an army in the field because it's there, and because many Lunars have a deadly agenda towards the Realm and its Chosen. A Lunar who is not currently occupied by something that takes higher priority gets wind of a legion on the move, and makes a beeline for the target because one of the major strategies of the Silver Pact is to render the Threshold highly unwelcoming to the Realm.

… Like, as an image of why they would do it if they could, and what would be so disruptive to the setting if it had extremely high efficacy. They can do stuff like what you propose, and are highly motivated to go out of their way to do so, Dominions seem kind of pointless, don't they?
      Well they WOULD be pretty pointless, also the Realm just wouldn't last long because when you're facing off against a bunch of enemies with a Death Note basically, just with less restrictions, surrender sounds like a good option. That's why I suggested not to think to hard about it. Like how if you really think through the Flash, as how he's often presented, things get...weird. Like for some reason he frequently gets thwarted by Captain Cold shooting an ice-beam at the ground under him and slipping him up, when his reaction time is fast enough to catch a bullet going 3 times the speed of sound.

This statement seems bizarre to me. Dynastic Dragon Blooded join the legions; they are there to provide dutiful military service, and have distinctly useful capabilities.*SNIP* Somebody who survived damn Pasiap's Stair isn't going to get stroppy over the idea that they need to apply their skills towards preventing one of the face stealing murder monsters from messing up the chain of command and removing the senior commander. It's, errr, it's pretty important. Probably carries a bit of prestige.
      Good point, I totally forgot about outcastes. That would definitely be a good job for them, giving them a kind of prestige that puts them in proximity to somebody really important with a large responsibility. It would have a dual effect of making them feel important and integrated into the Empire, while at the same time still giving that little hint that they might be second-class DBs.

Jeez, ancient world generals could get fancier digs than that. It's not actually that difficult to lay down easily transported wood panelled floors, if you're important enough to get the dedicated wagon space. Maybe some nicer lighting, but that's an area in which it might be important to fall back on genre conceit/the actual system; the penalty for dimly lit conditions is not actually all that punishing.
      I was actually just considering how much it such to try and sleep in a room that's really brightly lit, to be honest. On the other hand sleeping masks are a thing, and it's not like the Realm is incapable of making seamlessly tight fitting floorboards or anything, that king of thing could work. Doubly so because I think even Solars cant just stealth through a doorway totally unseen if it's being physically blockaded by people.

They do have sensing vibrations, though.

Ohhh, I have that delightful pdf access again... let's see...
      *SNIP*If you've got an idea about what hostile things there are to listen for, that's not bad. Eye of Blazing Truth lets you see in total darkness and shoot fire from your eyes to reveal and incinerate enemies approaching by stealth.

I think that's enough to make the point that, barring the Lunars being given some options that are excessive and incredibly boring in how absolute they are, there's enough there to make for an interesting contest.
      I don't think those charms work that way, do they? Like the Earth Sense says it triggers when a threat comes within range, but that wouldn't trigger on a shapeshifted Lunar or a Solar using Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise. The charm says threat, but it doesn't pick out things that the DB wouldn't find threatening, like a bug or a face-swapped assassin that they don't know is face swapped. It actually is better than I remember it being, in that you can activate it reflexively, so unless a Solar is creeping in with Mental Invisibility Technique or something you've got a half way decent chance to spot her there.

Horizon Spanning Echoes I'm not sure what you'd specify to listen for since it'd have to be something particular to your shapeshifted assassin but unique in the area. It would be pretty cool if you had a Lunar who always took the form of an assassin beetle to get close to their targets, and so the DB secret service agent sat in a trance listening for the regionally foreign foot taps of an assassin beetle. Otherwise though I'm not sure.

Also for Dragon's Twitching Whisper don't you need an intimacy against the specific person that's setting it off? Like having a major negative intimacy towards (Members of House Cathak) wouldn't work, it would have to be an intimacy for (Cathak Corvus) or something.

Do you feel restrained against making one?

I'm not talking about something standardised and numerous, mind. Think of how many variations of daiklaves and armour you can get working on the thesis of vigilance against obscure dangers. Imagine the scenarios in which these coveted and legendary items are assigned to a given legion's security detail. Think about how the mission statement of the Silver Pact wants to steal or break these things, because they'll be hard to replace.
      Yeah I kind of feel restricted making something like that. For one I'm always wary about taking something that one of my PCs does, and then just making a thing to counteract that. Also it just feels kind of out of theme? I haven't yet had the chance to go through Arms of the Chosen, but there's certainly nothing in the corebook that could override Solar/Lunar magic like that.

It's not really the best presentation of Dragon Blooded to say that their only viable defense against a Lunar approaching with a stealth method as elementary as turning into a very small animal is to hide behind the skirts of Sidereal Exalted.
      It's not SO bad, there's just some stuff that terrestrials aren't super great at. It's like how they're just not that spectacular at crafting epic items, which makes sense because their strength-in-numbers thing is hard to turn into genius. So you have a world where every artifact is super precious to them because they can't replace it. Same goes for finding disguised Solars at a gala or shapeshifted Lunars in their bed. The Sidereals just have to come in and apply some pressure in a way that DBs can't so that the Lunars don't take them apart. Well, the Lunars ARE taking them apart, but not easily.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      Ox-Bodies. Ox-Bodies are excellent at defending against ambushes. That's how I did 8 lethal to the warlord (after he'd reduced it all with his Resistance charms) and that just got him to like his first -2 or something.
      A Dragonblood can potentially have 22 health levels. That's a hell of a lot of damage to do with your alpha-strike.
      Especially if you've put 18 charms into Stealth like WalkingEye suggested, so you don't have hardly any combat charms to increase damage.
      I don't know, that could help certainly, being supernaturally resistant, but there can't be that many DBs out there with more than 1-2 ox-bodies, compared to the list of ones who'd be up for assassination.

Comment

As opposed to invalidating the Dragon Blooded player's concept of being alive the first time that the Storyteller throws a Night Caste at them?
        You don't have a very strong character concept if "is alive" is all you've got. (Well maybe Liminals might be able to get away with that in a more broad sense, but they're a bit weird.) Plus that really strikes me as more of a shitty ST. I mean, "Well you failed the check to wake up, so you were murdered in your sleep" is kind of boring and annoying as crap.(Have heard games where the GM actually did roll a percentile die and then just declared one of the PCs was dead on the spot because a sniper shot them through the skull.) So you know glib response is boring and all.

Why do so many of these conversations turn so binary; you'd think people took the card game analogies very literally, and assumed success was based on immediately giving the win to whomever has the bigger number.
        I'd put it more towards phrasing seeing how large parts of conversation are nonverbal or tonal and unless one starts writing their responses with context* things get lost, that and topics that start with the prompt of "How is it even possible these guys don't instantly end up dead?" tend to force the discussion towards avenues on perfected defenses that will basically always work or make it far too difficult to counter and thus said action isn't taken because its too much trouble.

There's a reason that my last line in the prior post was about presenting a challenge, rather than forming an impenetrable cordon.
        Point? My last section was on challenges and ways to justify a target surviving even if the assassin performed the act. (Mostly, or would you phrase it as a near success.) The two don't exactly invalidate eachother.

And I personally find the idea that the stealthy assassin needs to ultimately resolve things with a standard Kung Fu battle to be far more invalidating than if they failed outright.
        Okay, how are you defining failure then if running away or actually having to fight is an invalidating incident if they don't ghost run the murder? Cause no one was implying that an assassin needed to break in, wake the target, and challenge them to a duel to the death to take place immediately for the sake of PC fairness. (As hilarious as that scene sounds) And your phrasing there goes back to the binary thing almost to the implication that an assassin character should operate under video game stealth level rules whereby if you're spotted you die instantly

*You know like the Hanar in Mass Effect or HK-47 prefacing sentences with excited, deception, cautious; or the sisters in Index who will actually include the she said (insert whatever thing here)

Comment

That's kind of a... unlikely game-y thing to have happen. I suppose it could represent that they just managed to get their guard up fast enough, it's just kind of odd that there's no penalty to going first when you're being ambushed. Actually, that's probably by design, being ambushed and killed in one shot can kind of suck, but that might be a case where mechanics are promoting a better narrative than a realistic outcome. Either way though, you must have been facing one seriously godlike DB if they rolled fifteen successes on their join battle.
          It's absolutely in theme with most epics and wuxia. Important characters rarely just get offed in an ambush.

How you play the character winning JB is up to you - Generally their being still unaware is fine, since it just means a last-second awareness of the enemy - and gives its player ample time to play with perception charms AND the stealthy player time to play with Stalking Wolf.

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
          *You know like the Hanar in Mass Effect or HK-47 prefacing sentences with excited, deception, cautious; or the sisters in Index who will actually include the she said (insert whatever thing here)
          Elcor, no? The big guys that chat in-species with pheromones to give away emotional context.

Last edited by Synapse; 10-22-2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

I don't think those charms work that way, do they? Like the Earth Sense says it triggers when a threat comes within range, but that wouldn't trigger on a shapeshifted Lunar or a Solar using Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise. The charm says threat, but it doesn't pick out things that the DB wouldn't find threatening, like a bug or a face-swapped assassin that they don't know is face swapped.
            Pretty sure that's not how it works.

All-Encompassing Earth Sense doesn't exist as a distinct in-game technique but rather a power that a player buys to protect them from hidden threats, if the Storyteller tells you that the bug isn't a threat and then the bug turns into a Lunar and kills your character giving the justification that "the bug wasn't a threat but the Lunar was" they're being a dickhead.

On the other side of things, the Dragon-Blooded doesn't go "why do I roll double 9s against that seemingly ordinary insect? OH SHIT! IT MUST BE A LUNAR!"

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

I don't know, that could help certainly, being supernaturally resistant, but there can't be that many DBs out there with more than 1-2 ox-bodies, compared to the list of ones who'd be up for assassination.
              Firstly, 2 Ox-Bodies means you have 11-13 health levels. That's a lot of damage for a Solar to do in one hit. I don't think I've ever done that much in one hit with a Solar. Not saying it's impossible, but it is tricky.

Secondly, there's a lot more DBs with a bunch of ox-bodies than there are Solars with a ton of Stealth charms* (and I'm not saying that because there's more DBs. But rather average DBs have more experience than average Solars. And we're not even talking about average DBs, we're talking about experienced ones. In particular high-ranking generals, who are more likely to be very tough than, say, sorcerers or bureaucrats). And one of my points was that having a 90% failure rate isn't necessary to explain why Night castes don't frequently try and assassinate high-ranking Dragonblood.
              A mere 10% failure rate means that if you try and assassinate 6 or 7 Dragonblood, you're probably going to be screwed.

*Though I realise I'm just talking about Solars here, not Lunars, since unlike Solars who tend to have less XP than Dragonblood, there's plenty of Lunars who are very experienced, and being able to turn into a tiny animal is a very common ability amongst them.

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey
              Also for Dragon's Twitching Whisper don't you need an intimacy against the specific person that's setting it off? Like having a major negative intimacy towards (Members of House Cathak) wouldn't work, it would have to be an intimacy for (Cathak Corvus) or something.
              I went to check the charm and... honestly, I don't know. It says you need a negative tie to them. It's not really clear if you need a negative tie to them specifically, or a negative tie that covers them.

I think one for the Devs.

My characters:
              Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
              Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Firstly, 2 Ox-Bodies means you have 11-13 health levels. That's a lot of damage for a Solar to do in one hit. I don't think I've ever done that much in one hit with a Solar. Not saying it's impossible, but it is tricky.
                An alpha striker with thunderbolt attack prana is pretty much the only setup where you can reliably do that much damage. It's normal to get into 20-30 initiative if you all-out, which then turns into a nasty 50-ish dice decisive.
                Of course, going awakening eye + TAP eats 9m, 2wp right away. Blinding Battle Feint + Excellency + TAP eats 17m, 1wp. And then there's the attack itself, that you will want to boost however you can to guarantee the kill.
                And there's the costs and difficulties of reaching the mark in the first place.
                And then the costs and difficulties of getting away.

So it's hella expensive, and tricky. Pretty much a high accomplishment for the character that builds around being able to do this.

So, back to the question of how do the Realm generals survive on the march. Someone that high up the food chain has doubles, magical wards, exalted bodyguards, probably a hearthmate (and maybe 4) that will know immediately if something happens. On top of being in the middle of a big fucking army! Getting to them is just hard. And if they survive the first round (something they are very likely built to, even if not specialized) the tables are immediately turned.
                Likewise, the chain of command usually has a very clear succession line. Slashing off the top dog is a big deal, but not a game breaker.

And on being wary of the random tiny spider in his tent... as said with the mosquito net: The insectbane incense is lit = any insect that comes in and doesn't die/flee within the second is to be crushed, even if it's not a reason to ring the alarm.

So, setting-wise, they survive by being as hard to reach as they are to kill, a generally successful strategy.
                Gameplay-wise the adage is so applicable it's getting old: Dragon-blooded are weaker than solars. Don't count on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                  Pretty sure that's not how it works.

All-Encompassing Earth Sense doesn't exist as a distinct in-game technique but rather a power that a player buys to protect them from hidden threats, if the Storyteller tells you that the bug isn't a threat and then the bug turns into a Lunar and kills your character giving the justification that "the bug wasn't a threat but the Lunar was" they're being a dickhead.

On the other side of things, the Dragon-Blooded doesn't go "why do I roll double 9s against that seemingly ordinary insect? OH SHIT! IT MUST BE A LUNAR!"
                  I wonder what happens then, like if the DB fails the perception check then it’s just like failing it normally and you don’t notice. You don’t jerk your head up and go “I was just forced to make an awareness check.” On the other hand if you succeed on the check to feel the feet of an ant that just crawled in the doorway and is moving along the baseboards do you immediately find that any suspicious? Like other ants out exploring for food don’t trigger your threat detection charm, but this one does.

It’s just odd how it interacts with shapeshifting into innocuous things. Like if you used it on a Solar using Blurred Form to slip delicately between your door guards, then you’d feel this presence of foot shaped weight entering the room. Assuming she didn’t also activate Vanishig from the Minds Eye or Touch Banishing Attitude or something. Either way feeling an invisible person enter the room is just an easy to identify threat. The shapeshifting into something that isn’t out of place where you’re trying to infiltrate of a niche, admittedly, but it’s one that their most deadly enemy has as one of their signatures.

Thinking on it more though, I might be more okay with having an artifact that keeps small animals out of a room, and so even though it would fail against a Lunar trying to enter as a small animal, it’d instantly make any gnat or spider in the room seem as threatening as seeing an assassin pearched on the rafters.

Comment

Well they WOULD be pretty pointless, also the Realm just wouldn't last long because when you're facing off against a bunch of enemies with a Death Note basically, just with less restrictions, surrender sounds like a good option. That's why I suggested not to think to hard about it.
                    There are acceptable degrees, but I find your proposition goes way too far. It's going beyond somebody coming up with a number of extremely novel and kind of tangential ways to apply shapeshifting against which there would be no defence, and kind of saying that the most basic application of the core power of one of the main character groups is too broken to really use (or at least use in a manner that needs to think about wider implications).

I don't think those charms work that way, do they? Like the Earth Sense says it triggers when a threat comes within range, but that wouldn't trigger on a shapeshifted Lunar or a Solar using Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise.
                    Shapeshifted Lunars are often the most threatening.

Seriously, it's a Charm specifically about forewarning you against the stealthy approach of a hidden enemy. The kind of reading that you're giving to it would kind of make it useless.

If a sniper approached wearing camo gear, would the Charm fail to trigger because the Terrestrial isn't afraid of shrubberies?

Even if it did have that level of specificity, I don't know, a lot of Lunars have reputations. A Dragon Blood can plausibly have a very significant negative Intimacy towards Sha'a Oka, despite never having personally met him.

Yeah I kind of feel restricted making something like that. For one I'm always wary about taking something that one of my PCs does, and then just making a thing to counteract that. Also it just feels kind of out of theme? I haven't yet had the chance to go through Arms of the Chosen, but there's certainly nothing in the corebook that could override Solar/Lunar magic like that.
                    That isn't really the right approach to take to it. Don't override magic, provide new magic that would logically contest it. The Vigilant Sword, a reaper daiklave (i.e. magic katana) that provides Evocations based on alertness to approaching threats, sensitivity to small disruptions, and bonuses to defending against ambush and fighting an enemy in stealth. Make it out of starmetal predisposed to Mars, and it can literally see the future!

It's like how they're just not that spectacular at crafting epic items, which makes sense because their strength-in-numbers thing is hard to turn into genius.
                    Their strength in numbers thing is not really in very many of their Charms, and so is quite irrelevant to the limits of their ability in crafting and anything else.

The biggest limit that Dragon Blooded will have in fighting a Lunar is that, should the Lunar become the size of a house, the Terrestrials won't really have anything to overcome the benefits of the Legendary Size Merit.

That and a bunch of complicated things based on the limited synergies imposed by their Elemental Auras, but that's more about lining up their guns than what the calibre is.

A Sworn Kinship is still capable of offering contest in things such as fighting and chasing.

So you have a world where every artifact is super precious to them because they can't replace it.
                    I don't know if this is hyperbolic to the point of being misleading, or an actual mistake.

Same goes for finding disguised Solars at a gala or shapeshifted Lunars in their bed. The Sidereals just have to come in and apply some pressure in a way that DBs can't so that the Lunars don't take them apart. Well, the Lunars ARE taking them apart, but not easily.
                    Think about what this means to somebody playing the Dragon Blooded. It's not in the same wheelhouse as things like making a 5-dot Artifact (which even while extremely challenging, is still technically feasible with the right assets). This is the arch-nemeses of the Dragon Blooded as a whole not being allowed anywhere near the players, because they'll just lose outright; that's a pretty significant dissonance between story expectations and functional gameplay.

If you're out on military campaign? You probably want to prioritise Resistance.

If you're a high value target who rarely leaves home? Home is the heart of the Realm's power, and should probably come with a number of assets that mean that a Lunar who goes there is taking risks.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I went to check the charm and... honestly, I don't know. It says you need a negative tie to them. It's not really clear if you need a negative tie to them specifically, or a negative tie that covers them.

I think one for the Devs.
                      It would seem to me to be a fair bit too broadly applicable and quite powerful for a DB charm.

I’m also kiiind of iffy about using combat mechanics to justify why assassination attempts are so hard. Some of those mechanics are there for narrative purposes and less to make things realistic. You totally SHOULD be able to assassinate a sleeping target in one stroke in universe, even if t doesn’t happen that way on the game because mechanics.

Comment

I can see that. But if we don't use that, what we get is:
                        A) In the real world, generals are occasionally but not often assassinated, because it's very difficult.
                        B) Lunars and Night Castes are very good at assassinating.
                        C) Dragon blood are pretty good at not being assassinated.

So the final result is probably:
                        Assassination is a serious threat to Realm generals, but the chances aren't that high.

My characters:
                        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
                        Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

I don't think those charms work that way, do they? Like the Earth Sense says it triggers when a threat comes within range, but that wouldn't trigger on a shapeshifted Lunar or a Solar using Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise. The charm says threat, but it doesn't pick out things that the DB wouldn't find threatening, like a bug or a face-swapped assassin that they don't know is face swapped. It actually is better than I remember it being, in that you can activate it reflexively, so unless a Solar is creeping in with Mental Invisibility Technique or something you've got a half way decent chance to spot her there.
                          It says it triggers when "a hidden enemy or danger" is within short range. It makes no distinction between an enemy hidden with stealth, shape shifting or disguise. It also shows up danger, so something like a pit trap should trigger it as well despite not producing any vibrations. I think it's supposed to be an instinctive reaction to danger, not something codified by other things. The only thing that would potentially bypass it would be some kind of power that lets you approach an enemy without seeming like an enemy themselves.

Besides, a basic Per+Aware roll with double nines is still very unlikely to bypass solar stealth charms, disguise charms, OR lunar shapeshifting. Spotting a shapeshifted character accurately is difficulty 7 after all, and that's without enhancement on the lunar's part.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
                            Besides, a basic Per+Aware roll with double nines is still very unlikely to bypass solar stealth charms, disguise charms, OR lunar shapeshifting. Spotting a shapeshifted character accurately is difficulty 7 after all, and that's without enhancement on the lunar's part.
                            That difficulty (which might be modified a bit in the proper Lunar book) is about discerning that the animal you're looking at is a Lunar. The Dragon Blooded Charm is about perceiving the thing physically.

If all a Lunar has for stealth is shapeshifting, and approaches a Dragon Blood in possession of that Charm with murderous intent, a successful Terrestrial will know that they're being approached by a dangerous arthropod.

There are ways for it to be dangerous without knowing that it's a Lunar; it could be particularly venomous and unusually aggressive, it could be some other shapeshifting being, it could be a result of hostile sorcery.

Mind, I wonder about circumstances in which making a roll to figure out that an animal is a Lunar is kind of unnecessary. That roll is about spotting their tell, isn't it? Is that really necessary if you know Lunars exist, and see an animal doing something kind of suspicious (including having your danger-honed senses lock in on one)? If you've got a sense for danger, and it brings you to an innocuous animal, a Lunar is probably going to be at the top of your list of suspects, isn't it? You might not see the signature purple eyes of Eska of the Seven Blades on that wolfhound, but you can see your son's throat clamped in its jaws, so you're better safe with the assumption that it's a Lunar than sorry with a few of your limbs missing and your house on fire.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Things to take into account:

1: Characters in the setting may have a good sense of their own capabilities and may be able to do a reasonable job of profiling others’ capabilities, but they can’t run the numbers to determine whether they can kill their target and get out alive with mathematical certainty.

2: When embarking on a risky venture like assassination, “almost certain to get out alive” is not the same as “certain to get out alive.” Especially because even in situations that are almost certain to be vastly unbalanced in your favor (such as an elder Lunar warrior hunting a newly graduated Dynast), you can’t be absolutely, unequivocally certain that it isn’t a trap.

3: By and large, Lunars aren’t suicidal fanatics. They want to destroy the Realm not for the sake of destroying the Realm, but so that they can live free of its threat, and it’s hard to live free when you’re dead.

4: Young Lunars who do lean toward the attitude of “I’ll assassinate random Dragon-Blooded until one of them kills me” may rack up a sizable body count during their tenure, but they typically don’t live long enough to become respected mentors teaching a new generation of young Lunars.

Lunars do indeed assassinate Dragon-Blooded on a semi-regular basis, but it’s usually specific targets for specific reasons. Become too high-profile of an assassin and you’ll find yourself the target of Dragon-Blooded or Sidereal counterintelligence efforts to take you down, which is dangerous for both parties; it’s not something for Lunars to take lightly.

Lunar mentors will generally teach their students that Dragon-Blooded are threats to take seriously. PC Lunars are, of course, free to do with this information what they will.
                              Last edited by Eric Minton; 10-22-2018, 12:00 PM.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Mind, I wonder about circumstances in which making a roll to figure out that an animal is a Lunar is kind of unnecessary. That roll is about spotting their tell, isn't it? Is that really necessary if you know Lunars exist, and see an animal doing something kind of suspicious (including having your danger-honed senses lock in on one)? If you've got a sense for danger, and it brings you to an innocuous animal, a Lunar is probably going to be at the top of your list of suspects, isn't it? You might not see the signature purple eyes of Eska of the Seven Blades on that wolfhound, but you can see your son's throat clamped in its jaws, so you're better safe with the assumption that it's a Lunar than sorry with a few of your limbs missing and your house on fire.
                                Animals do things that are weird and unexpected often enough that unless it's something really obvious, like setting firedust charges at set increments that the animal adjusts on the fly, it probably isn't a dead giveaway. And in those cases, there's actually a reasonable chance that the animal in question is someone's familiar, under magical control, or any number of other factors that would probably call for an Occult roll to sift out.

Comment

Working...
                                X