Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What websites do you use for inspiration and ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What websites do you use for inspiration and ideas?

Ex. Pininterest or Tumblr

Post links

Oddly, I end up using wikipedia quite a lot.
    As an example link, I've used this list for inspiration when making artifacts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ogical_objects

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
    - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
    (She/Her)

Comment

I have my pinterest and deviantart links in my sig. Other than that, I find that videos about history and mythology make for great plot fodder (obviously book too, but you asked for links), so things like Extra History and Overtly Sarcastic Productions on youtube are really good stuff to prowl throught.

If you like Ex3, you can support Holden on Patreon!
      Chains of Silver and Blood, my current Ex3 campaign.
      I do maps for your games!
      Images 1, Images 2, Landscapes 1, Landscapes 2 and Musics from Creation.

Comment

r/askhistorians

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I'm a pretty serious Pinterest user but augment it with google image search in case a particular image belongs to a well known property that could ultimately prove too recognisable.

For Exalted, I mostly use it to collect a series of images appropriate to a character or location and see what gets recommended, often it's crap or things you already had but occasionally it strikes gold.

I'm aware of the problems with the forum

The Freedom Stone is back, if you want to talk Exalted try here

Comment

I use Google images as well, it works well for visualisations of people, places and monsters. (Though it's much better for some stuff than others; there's much better fantasy art for male characters than female ones, unless you're doing an erpg, which I'm not).

Also, I got into the habit of doing write-ups of the session afterwards and emailing them to my players (we play weekly but alternate 4 games, so there's 4 weeks between each game. Thus we need a reminder). So I find suitable art of places and people, mostly from Google images, and include them.

Comment

That's actually part of the appeal of Pinterest for me, I use a lot of female characters so the stricter standards of content helps filter out a lot of the noise I'd be dealing with on sites like google image search or deviant art.

Comment

One of my friends has a Pinterest board for each of her characters, and of locations for her game, it seems to work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                  I'm a pretty serious Pinterest user but augment it with google image search in case a particular image belongs to a well known property that could ultimately prove too recognisable.

For Exalted, I mostly use it to collect a series of images appropriate to a character or location and see what gets recommended, often it's crap or things you already had but occasionally it strikes gold.
                  I dont know if you've ever posted a link to your pinterest board, but I'd be very interested in that.

If you like Ex3, you can support Holden on Patreon!
                  Chains of Silver and Blood, my current Ex3 campaign.
                  I do maps for your games!
                  Images 1, Images 2, Landscapes 1, Landscapes 2 and Musics from Creation.

Comment

Google image search, combined with numerous roleplay sessions. A lot of things I introduced in previous games as minor side details or plot points end up forming the basis of other ideas further down the road.

My wordpress
                    Let's Play Warcraft 3 (Updates Thursdays)

Comment

Sometimes I just search for some unusual fantasy or science fiction settings and I explore their wikis, reviews and any other fan contents I can find on the internet.
                      Most of the time I do it just for fun, the same way I was reading mythologies encyclopedia when I was younger, but sometimes I really find cool ideas for my rpg campaigns or interesting point of views about how people see those settings elements.
                      Since my stories are long, I usually take a 3 weeks pause between each stories when I ask questions and suggestions from my players about what they want for their characters and the campaign now and what novels, comics and movies they can recommand me for inspiration. Then I read their plot (or read the novels, the comics or see the movies when I have a sufficient amount of free time) and look at things like e-commerce websites or movie and novel review websites, seeking other ideas in stories with plot similarities and their reviews.

And that's all I do when I'm not doing what was said before. ^^
                      It could've been shorter and more nuanced, but my english is lacking. ><

EDIT: I just remembered. It's rare, but sometimes I look in this site (https://tvtropes.org/) and I'm like "m'okay, is there an interesting story cliché I didn't think about when I was working on this new setting ?" When I'm exploring this site my imagination does really strange things. X)

I don't think what I'm saying really is interesting, but I surely lack shame when I'm not talking about how bad I am at doing something. X)
                      Last edited by RosePlancton; 10-27-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeTipex View Post

I dont know if you've ever posted a link to your pinterest board, but I'd be very interested in that.
                        I have a few. This is the general one my group and I use.

Comment

Working...
                        X