Step into your Monstrance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step into your Monstrance

Here's how this works: take your Solar character (either one you've played, or one you'd like to play) and tell us about what kind of Abyssal he/she would become. Would he/she come to the Black Exaltation willingly? Would it take half the Falafel's army to drag him/her into the Monstrance of Celestial Portion? And afterward, what would he/she look like? What would his/her Abyssal name be? Would they eventually go renegade, or happily become a Creation slaying weapon of Oblivion?

I'm afraid a first example is needed

Comment

Lei Xi is a Dawn Caste Solar Exalt, whose Motivation is to master every Martial Art in all Creation. He seeks to do this because he knows that, along the way, he will have to evolve as a person - mastering a Martial Art is not simply the expenditure of experience on Charms, but an internalization of a philosophy. He seeks to better himself, and in so doing, better the lives of those around him. He seeks new sifus at every opportunity, meeting strange and wondrous beings that can teach him the nuances of esoteric Martial Arts, and he trains constantly in his spare time. When he can, he volunteers to assist local temples and dojos with their menial tasks in exchange for food and shelter. He is not a proud man, but a humble one, knowing that the search to master oneself means one must accept that one is not already whole.

When captured by the Mask of Winters and tortured until he breaks, Lei Xi becomes the Fist around the World's Throat. A Dusk Caste Abyssal, Fist still seeks to master every Martial Art in Creation (and the Underworld!) but in order to make himself the ultimate weapon. He cares nothing for philosophy, only power, and murder. When he finds a sifu, he will learn everything he can from them, sucking their knowledge out of them by whatever means necessary, until he finishes with them and murders them in their sleep. He is the Cobra Kai student to Danny's "Karate Kid." He is arrogant and proud, and though he can stomach pretending to be meek if he needs to in order to find a sifu, he will soon show his true colors. He breaks into local temples and dojos, stealing from them what he needs and killing any who would stand in his way. If there is anything of Lei Xi remaining within him, it has been subsumed by his obsessive need to master the external forces that leave him internally hollow.

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

I've not done this directly but I've had a character who used to be a PC of mine, be captured by a Deathlord and require a fair degree of rehabilitation because of it even if a Monstrance wasn't involved.

The Freedom Stone is back, help it to live again.

Comment

Hmm. Syrine, Night Caste thief and cult-hunter, finds the job offer from the Lover Clad in a Raiment of Tears intriguing. She already half buys into Immaculate teachings about Anathema, so she's trying to both live it up and wipe out as many yozi cults as she can (she has a grudge) before she goes mad and everything goes wrong. "So, the big boss is happy as long as I kill people every now and then? Cuz I have such a list..."

Pious Epicurian Executioner would always be dressed to kill - in both senses - and throw parties that are absolutely to die for between cultist-murder sprees. Extra bonus fun if she parties with the cult before murdering them.
          Last edited by squidheadjax; 11-15-2018, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
            I've not done this directly but I've had a character who used to be a PC of mine, be captured by a Deathlord and require a fair degree of rehabilitation because of it even if a Monstrance wasn't involved.
            Two of the PCs in my game (and another PC's dad) were captured and put in Monstrances by Walker in Darkness's minions.

One actually resisted the Monstrance long enough to be rescued. The other one turned into an Abyssal. He was so traumatised he begged the other PCs to kill him, so they did.

In retrospect, it was not a good plotline.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              Two of the PCs in my game (and another PC's dad) were captured and put in Monstrances by Walker in Darkness's minions.

In retrospect, it was not a good plotline.
              At least the other PCs didn't give them to the Walker in Darkness to throw in Monstrances!

In the first game I played for in 2e, the rest of the circle made a plan to which my Dawn was not privy.

The first stage was for me to go into Thorns and start some shit, though, and that was more than enough.

The tough part for my character to swallow was that eventually he was supposed to surrender, and let the Mask's forces capture him. The circle reassured him, though - the Twilight had made him a Cache Egg to store his artifacts Elsewhere (also, he'd grafted orichalcum to the Dawn's skeleton, because he was just that kind of guy); the Zenith had armies from all around the River Province ready to attack Thorns after; and most importantly, punching the Mask of Winters would be amazing for his reputation.

Well, turned out that it very nearly was all for naught; my Dawn was low on motes after his capture, too low to recall his Cache Egg, and they immediately threw him into a Monstrance of Celestial Portion. The whole experience would have gone very badly for everyone concerned, if the Seven-Degreed Physician hadn't taken interest in the Dawn's orichalcum skeleton.

Excruciating as it was, being vivisected by the Abyssal was a good thing, as it let me roll for Essence-Gathering Temper. A couple of amazing rolls later, and he went from having nearly empty mote pools, to nearly full. But so as to not give away the game too early, he waited until the Physician was done, and began to meditate. A thousand heartbeats later, he drew out the Cache Egg. After another thousand, he began to power up.

With a single blow, he reduced the soulsteel coffin to twisted scrap. Now free of the prison, he saw that the room he was in contained at least a half-dozen more Monstrances. He smiled.

Less than a minute later, an apoplectic Deathlord stormed across his citadel, to a room that was glowing like the Daystar itself was shining inside it, only to see that every Monstrance he'd made had been reduced to smoking wreckage. Shichirou would have given a talent of jade to see the look on his face.
              Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 11-15-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Well, all's well that ends well!

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

The biggest mistake with Monstrances was that they were too uniform.
                  They were N/A rated artifacts keyed to specific Exaltations but they ended up as these dull metal boxes that you had to do massive amounts of damage to until they broke. Which meant some circles couldn't really hope to suceed on recue missions even after evading a Deathlord, multiple Abyssals and ghost spies capable of literally hiding in the walls, while others were shattering these nigh-unbreakable artifacts with laughable ease.

I think (if they came back) a Monstrance should adapt to escape attempts so the door gets stronger in response to the Dawn Caste trying to break it down, extra locks appear in response to the Night Caste trying to escape that way etc. But once it settles on a 'build' it can't change it - so the Dawn Caste's Monstrance might be super tough at the cost of leaving itself open to teleportation because it wasn't an option for the Dawn and thus the Monstance can't really conceive of such a method.

The Freedom Stone is back, help it to live again.

Comment

Working...
                  X