Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

magic weapons and armor with no evocations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another point, the artifact may hate you. There was an artifact skycutter in the core that wanted to be used to kill murderers and was held by assassins for a bit before the group's head sealed it because he kept getting the impression that the skycutter wanted to kill him. Springrazor insists its wielder be capable of great beauty and elegance and won't give power if you haven't either mastered a suitable combat style or if the wielder personally wasn't pretty enough.

And in non-canon stuff one of my PCs refuses to use his artifact's name and will nickname them with less than flattering or sensible names. In and out of universe because he believes the original names are lame. The artifacts are less than thrilled with him and I've toyed with the idea of a potential enemy being able to unlock evocations specifically for f*ing up that PC due to a shared dislike of the character.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      For the rest, well... What Fire Has Wrought already has a sidebar on Realm attitudes to the other magical materials. There's an aversion, because they make you look like an outcaste, but otherwise acceptable.
      And they make you look like an outcaste because they are "considered second-rate", which is a what you'd expect to be the effect of the mechanical resonance difference in social attitudes. Non-jade doesn't work as well as jade for Dragon-Blooded, and so it's something that someone desperate, like an outcaste would use. A Dynast, ahem, really should do better, ahem.

Now, if you're a matriarch with an arsenal of artifacts that includes such, of course you aren't normally going to give stuff perceived as second-rate gear to your scions in the highest standing. But they are items of power that don't do the House (or household) any good in a vault, even your less-favored scions are still scions of the House, and the use of such artifacts is accepted (even if the user is likely to draw disparaging remarks). So you're going to distribute them at least sometimes, and there's going to be an implicit policy in how that's done.

At which point, I figure my suggestions hold. Orichalcum is second-rate. Moonsilver is inferior to jade, but experience shows it is also a special temptation to the face-stealing Anathema for some reason. Starmetal items that you haven't traded to what-was-her-name-again? for jade artifacts are probably particularly potent artifacts of specialized value. Finally, soulsteel is second-rate (it probably isn't used comparatively enough for there to be a general social perception that it's actually third-rate) and downright creepy.

And, well, who deals with demons (per Arms of the Chosen, "some Dragon-Blooded call orichalcum 'demon-gold'") and the creepy? Sorcerers. Of course, "[o]richalcum channels . . . sorcerous energies better than any other magical material" (Arms of the Chosen, again), too. Then you consider that, well, sorcerers can build strength through spells, so they don't need as big of a hand up from artifacts as non-sorcerers. And while sorcerers are honored and important, of course -- well, your other scions would lose a bit of face if they were carrying orichalcum or soulsteel, so, really, it just makes sense.
      Last edited by Verzio; 10-28-2018, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Verzio View Post
        they are items of power that don't do the House (or household) any good in a vault
        They can be held in trust against a rainy day, and a weapon in the vault is one less weapon floating around for the use of opponents of the Realm.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

There's no reason why you can't melt down one artifact weapon to make another, if you don't mind losing the original artifact. (Unless the Storyteller wants to make a plot point of a specific artifact's nigh-indestructibility, I guess; there's no point in hauling the One Ring all the way to Mount Doom if you can just smelt it down in your forge.)
          I remember seeing some sidebar about how orichalkum weapons are designed for fighting in supernatural battles, and so "expected to be able to cut a volcano god without melting". Once something becomes an artifact, it gets much tougher than its component materials (otherwise jade weapons would be useless, jade being soft enough to sculpt into figurines).

So... reforging an artifact weapon is probably doable, but not in just any forge.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
            And in non-canon stuff one of my PCs refuses to use his artifact's name and will nickname them with less than flattering or sensible names. In and out of universe because he believes the original names are lame. The artifacts are less than thrilled with him and I've toyed with the idea of a potential enemy being able to unlock evocations specifically for f*ing up that PC due to a shared dislike of the character.
            I'd suggest talking to the player first before punishing character traits that are obviously a reflection of their attitudes.

The Freedom Stone is back

Comment

Originally posted by Braininthejar View Post
              I remember seeing some sidebar about how orichalkum weapons are designed for fighting in supernatural battles, and so "expected to be able to cut a volcano god without melting". Once something becomes an artifact, it gets much tougher than its component materials (otherwise jade weapons would be useless, jade being soft enough to sculpt into figurines).

So... reforging an artifact weapon is probably doable, but not in just any forge.
              Three things here:

One, Artifacts becoming basically indestructible to anything but magic that will specifically destroy them while they're attuned has just about always been a thing. When they're not attuned, conditions to shatter or melt them have generally appeared to be a good less extreme.

Two, with a small number of exceptions, jade Artifacts (especially weapons) have always been described as being composed of steel alloys that include the rock. Most jade weapons in the Realm probably consist of the powdery by-product of grinding huge blocks down into piles of small coins.

(For that matter, Artifact weapons in general have been described as being composed of alloys, rather than pure magical material)

Three, the magical material jade is not the same substance as the mineral nephrite.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                I'd suggest talking to the player first before punishing character traits that are obviously a reflection of their attitudes.
                Oh that requires a lot of set up before it even gets close to that point. I mean just on the low end you'd need an enemy that can steal the artifact(s), but not just taking them off his corpse.

Comment

Working...
                X