Help with Steal Devil MA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Steal Devil MA

Im planning on using the Steal Devil MA, but im not sure how the charms should be used.
    Could you share with me some tips, advice and experiences that you had in play with the style?

Our Night Caste uses it a bit. It seemed that Double-Attack Technique doesn't really increase damage much against high-defence foes (it can even reduce damage) unless you've built up good off-hand charge, so be careful.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Hmm. How would it reduce damage against high defense foes? Double Attack has no conditional damage other than "beat his defense again to gain this extra damage"
      (for a non-terrestrial like your night caste)
      Last edited by Synapse; 10-29-2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Because you get it instead of the threshold successes.

For example, if you're attacking someone with Defence 6, and you get 7 successes to hit, the charm doesn't do anything.

If you get 12 successes, the charm triggers, and you do -2 Overwhelming instead of -1, and you do the charm's damage instead of those 6 threshold successes. So, if you have Dex 4 and 3 points of Offhand Charge, instead of doing 6 damage for 6 threshold successes, you'll do the charm's damage bonus, in this case +5. You might want to use it anyway, because of the better Overwhelming Penalty, but it's worth bearing in mind.
        Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 10-29-2018, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Almost. You still get threshold successes that weren't necessary to make the second hit. So against 6 defense a 12 successes double attack would hit at 6, and then hit at 5, leaving 1 threshold to add to damage.
          Still, dex + half charge, which you can count to start with 2. A terrestrial will start with a 3, others can expect 4s and 5s and 6s.

Well, fits the overall design of "you don't want to use this against someone immune to onslaught"

Comment

Honestly all Steel Devil Style is a weird one in that all the pre-form charms are pretty bad but all the post-form ones are crazy strong/borderline op. So basically pay the charm tax, don't waste your motes on Double Attack Technique and spam those Sonic Slashes like there's no tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaddar View Post
              Could you share with me some tips, advice and experiences that you had in play with the style?
              Don't use Steel Devil. Currently the worst MA in the entire game. The only thing it excels in is beating people weaker than you, Single Point is laughably better than it in every way. Shit White Reaper is better than it.

You're better off just taking melee and making duel wielding charms.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
              Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

I wouldn't despair, I desperately need sleep right now so I can't post more than a few sentences until tomorrow, but Steel Devil can be great, you just need to know what you're getting yourself into and how to use it.

Comment

I ran some test duels last year for my pseudo-Infernal to see whether Steel Devil or Solar Melee would be better as his primary offensive mode. 5 charms into each, they were ultimately about as effective; he won all but one of the fights I ran (the sole loss being against the Core's sample Deathknight using Melee). Melee strikes me as being more potentially powerful in the long run—not to mention more versatile—but at chargen Steel Devil is a viable alternative if the style appeals to you.

Comment

Had to do some digging, but back in May TGUEIROS actually did a pretty good analysis of Steel Devil beyond what I had always heard of it being a "win moar" style.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...92#post1216292

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Interesting point about combining Double-Attack/Triple-Attack with Fire Dragon Form.

Comment

TL;DR on Steel Devil is that it is absolutely NOT for soloing with. You want to make it work, you do so by letting your allies stack some onslaught penalties on your target first, because their Defense essentially counts for double against your main trick. If you can make it past that hurdle though and are willing to blow all your Willpower in a round or two, your enemies will blend (Wyld Hunt smoke, don’t breathe this!).
                        Last edited by Sith_Happens; 10-30-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Plus, you yourself are stacking a good amount of Overwhelming for your allies to take advantage of.

Comment

Yeah Steel Devil gets meme'd as more useless than it actually is, but BadassOverlord has it right: as far as I'm concerned, the entire style may be hot garbage and it would still be worth it for the ability to get up to +5 autosuxx on rushes for 4m (Seconds Between Strife), what's basically for all intents and purposes a perfect defense without a reset condition for 3m (Twin-Blade Defense), and the ability to make decisives without using up your initiative. Hell, at higher Essence, even Naked Fang Draw becomes a twice as mote-effective Join Battle enhancer as the Awareness excellency, without requiring any kind of investment on your part.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                            Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                              Had to do some digging, but back in May TGUEIROS actually did a pretty good analysis of Steel Devil beyond what I had always heard of it being a "win moar" style.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...92#post1216292
                              This is my issue with it. It's too easily shut down by onslaught negators. Tiger style likes low defense but it isn't completely reliant on it.

"Sandact stop being paranoid. Not everyone has onslaught negators much less solar ones."

True not everyone does, but the very second you run into someone who can then you're knee capped. Tiger has lots of stuff you can do on high defense. Ebon shadow has lots of things you can do outside of stealth. The only things steel devil has is the fairly good defense charms.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
                              Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X