Help with Steal Devil MA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

Oh, right, duh. I’ve never had a player in my game use a flame piece before. It’s also been a year and a half since I played 3e so that’s probably not helping.
    It still privies the character from its simple charms, as well as imposing a penalty. So there's that XD

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
      I have to say looking back over it, it definitely feels like RD style is balanced for only making an attack every other turn.

Wait what - no, it isn't.

Cloud of Ebon Devils literally says "whenever the stylist aims with a firewand, she may also reload it". It specifically says "aims", rather than "uses his action to aim". Guess what the Form Charm gives you? Free reflexive aims against characters you've successfully influenced at its activation (or later social actions). This is one of the most basic ways the style's effects combo together, I can't believe that the entire thread missed this.

Back on topic: the reason why I feel that it's pointless to worry about how easy it is to counter Steel Devil's shtick is that in Ex3, basically any build can be countered. If your GM wants you to have a difficult time, you will have a difficult time. If they want to give you an easy win that plays to your style's strengths, you will get an easy win that plays to your style's strengths. A comprehensive omnicompetent battle hydra build that has no gaps in its defense and has ways to attack effectively in any situation needs so much XP that most games will never see one.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
      Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

While I haven't seen it used much, it does seem to be a style with strengths (getting high damage vs low defence people, defence) and weaknesses (you power it by consuming your own initiative, it's not great vs high defence opponents) and, well... different styles having different strengths and weaknesses seems like good design.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post

Wait what - no, it isn't.

Cloud of Ebon Devils literally says "whenever the stylist aims with a firewand, she may also reload it". It specifically says "aims", rather than "uses his action to aim". Guess what the Form Charm gives you? Free reflexive aims against characters you've successfully influenced at its activation (or later social actions). This is one of the most basic ways the style's effects combo together, I can't believe that the entire thread missed this.

Back on topic: the reason why I feel that it's pointless to worry about how easy it is to counter Steel Devil's shtick is that in Ex3, basically any build can be countered. If your GM wants you to have a difficult time, you will have a difficult time. If they want to give you an easy win that plays to your style's strengths, you will get an easy win that plays to your style's strengths. A comprehensive omnicompetent battle hydra build that has no gaps in its defense and has ways to attack effectively in any situation needs so much XP that most games will never see one.
          Not to mention that battle hydra would also need defences against poison clouds, chaos fields and all that other nonsense that isn’t technically combat applicable.

You’re right about the reflexive aim reload thing too, totally missed that. It will be interesting to see how some of the corebook MAs look in a terrestrial game, especially with the free disappearing 6s. I might have to bring it up to my players and just either make sure they’re all on board, or if they’re not restrict some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
            At worst one can always flurry the reload.

I've been toying with a houserule to allow the Quick Draw merit to also apply to reloading, otherwise someone would just grab it and do their best impression of Meryl Strife from Trigun and just have bandoliers of single shot flame pieces that they discard and Quick Draw. Funny for one character/encounter, kinda silly if it is the optimal method outside of charms.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Steel Devil can be powerful if you can leverage it's 'trick', and work around it's weakness. Stealth and SPSitV elevate it to something really vicious. Better than Ebon Shadow or Thrown in my opinion for assassin type play.

You open with a strong withering ambush-attack, preferably against what appears to be the squishiest opponent, and chain in Steel Devil Strike (or Empty Mind Strike). If you add SPSitV's Fatal Stroke Flash you are basically making a huge decisive attacks without resetting. Odds are really good you incapacitate your opponent and can use stealth to remain hidden and go for another ambush. Rinse and repeat and see how high you can get your initiative!

Comment

Working...
              X