Calculating Soak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating Soak

Hi! I've got a Lunar exalt (Str 5, Dex 5, Sta 5) with Deadly Beastman (Str/Dex/Sta 6) and the Armored Hide and Huge mutations (Str 8, Dex 6, Sta 8 and +4B/4L soak).
    For simplicity's sake, let's just start with the Str 8, Dex 6, Sta 8 and get to it.

1. How do I calculate my soak dice?
    2. I've got 3rd Excellency for all physical stats and Relentless Lunar Fury (Essence 4). Am I correct this would add 8 (Stamina) + 4 (Essence) to these totals? Any restrictions?
    3. I've got a variety of soak/hardness charms selected. Are there limits to how many dice can be added?

You might want to specify which edition you're playing if you want any coherent answers.

Comment

You are right. I'm playing 2nd edition. But I'm game if people want to provide answers to others as well (and tell us which they are referring to)

Comment

For 2nd edition:

Your bashing soak is equal to Stamina, and lethal soak is half that.

So with your armoured hide, that's 12B/8L. (It's not soak dice per-se, it's a soak rating.)

There's no limit to how much you can add to your soak.

As to the 3rd excellency, I think that's how it works, though I'm not 100%.

For 3rd edition, it'd be simpler. Your soak from Stamina is just 5 (doesn't matter if it's lethal or bashing). The Huge merit adds a health level, not soak.
        The Armoured Hide mutation adds a number equal to how many points you spent on it (0-5).

DBT adds, I think, your Strength to your Soak (in this case 5).
        So, with DBT and maxed out Armoured Hide, your soak is 15.

But that's just "I think" because the Lunar book's not out yet, just a few teaser charms and an example NPC.

There's no 3rd excellency, just a Stamina Excellency, which can increase soak somehow, but we don't know how that works yet.
        Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 10-31-2018, 06:21 PM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by g3taso View Post
          Hi! I've got a Lunar exalt (Str 5, Dex 5, Sta 5) with Deadly Beastman (Str/Dex/Sta 6) and the Armored Hide and Huge mutations (Str 8, Dex 6, Sta 8 and +4B/4L soak).
          For simplicity's sake, let's just start with the Str 8, Dex 6, Sta 8 and get to it.

1. How do I calculate my soak dice?
          your soak rating is equal to your stamina for bashing, ½ stamina for lethal and zero for aggravated before adding bonuses.
          In your case that comes to 12B/8L/0A, in Deadly Beastman form, but before charms.
          Note that this is rating not dice, you subtract it from the damage dice pool rather than roll them.

2. I've got 3rd Excellency for all physical stats and Relentless Lunar Fury (Essence 4). Am I correct this would add 8 (Stamina) + 4 (Essence) to these totals? Any restrictions?
          No, you are not correct. "derived rating" in 2nd edition is a system term for things which are theoretically under the hood dice pools, but which just use the average of 1 success pr. 2 dice for the sake of speed of play. This is also why the reroll charm can enhance them.
          Soak however are not representing a roll like this, so the 3rd excellency does nothing.
          the first and 2nd still works through, so you might want to consider taking one of those instead.

3. I've got a variety of soak/hardness charms selected. Are there limits to how many dice can be added?
          no, there are not.

Comment

Working...
          X