No announcement yet.

Unstoppable Pendulum Dance Form (PEACH)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unstoppable Pendulum Dance Form (PEACH)

Since the forums seems so slow right now, I ask people to have another look at this Form Charm for that Style I was working on, and share their reactions.

Unstoppable Pendulum Dance Form - The martial artist begins a ponderous and delicate dance, harnessing the centrifugal forces of her circular motions to turn her hammer's great weight into terrible speed.

6m; Simple; One Scene; Form, Mastery, Terrestrial; Martial Arts 4, Essence 1; ???

This Charm allows the martial artist to enjoy the Momentum condition, which she gains automatically upon assuming the Form.

While enjoying this condition, the martial artist's Initiative is effectively increased by 2 for the purposes of determining when she acts in the next round and how much decisive damage she can roll, and also allows her to make a smashing attack without spending Initiative or incurring the Defense Penalty.

She will instantly lose the Momentum if she resets to base initiative, if she is successfully damaged by a withering or decisive attack, if she falls prone or becomes grappled or is otherwise rendered incapable of taking movement actions, or if she is no longer holding a two-handed hammer. Otherwise she will lose it at the end of her next turn.

In order to extend the duration of her Momentum by another turn, or to regain Momentum after losing it, she must perform one of the following actions: Taking a Full Defense action or an Aim action (which can only benefit a style attack on your next turn); attempting a smash attack, a dance-based Performance action, or a movement action to move into a different range band; or succeeding on a rise from prone action. If she chooses to flurry one of these actions with any other physical action, the last action she resolves in a turn must be one of the listed actions.

She cannot generate Spin while suffering from Initiative Crash, while prone or grappled or otherwise incapable of taking movement actions, or while deprived of a style weapon.

Terrestrial: The Momentum condition only reduces the Initiative cost of smashing attacks by 1.

Mastery: The Momentum condition instead effectively increases the Solar's Initiative by 3.

Special activation rules: The martial artist may reflexively assume this Form after attempting a smash attack, which may generate the Momentum condition and waive the Defense penalty, but not the Initiative cost.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

I definitely think the overall concept is interesting for the juxtaposed elements and the realisation of a spinning hammer style or an elegant pendulum-like dancing style, and my preliminary sense of this Form Charm is that it is fitting to the concept. Would I be wrong in presuming that there would be other Charms that would build off of and enhance the established Momentum?

Hmm, I want to look into pendulum terminology and see if there might be an alternative term that could be more fitting and wouldn't clash with the word used for naval combat.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Oh hey, one of the copies I tried to publish finally got through. Right when more Lunar stuff is dropping for everyone to flock too instead. Darn it.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      I definitely think the overall concept is interesting for the juxtaposed elements and the realisation of a spinning hammer style or an elegant pendulum-like dancing style, and my preliminary sense of this Form Charm is that it is fitting to the concept.
      Awesome!

I tried very hard to capture the visuals and feeling I was going for with the restrictions without going overboard on the restrictions.

There might be a more up-to-date version of the Form I've misplaced somewhere. I'm pretty sure I kept tweaking it in a separate document before I shelved this whole project in frustration.

Would I be wrong in presuming that there would be other Charms that would build off of and enhance the established Momentum?
      Mostly my ideas offered new ways to spend and generate Momentum.

But I may not yet have an appropriate capstone Charm.

I've never actually played a game of Third Edition, so I'm hesitant to make Momentum any stronger than it already is because I lack experience with how strong it already is.

Hmm, I want to look into pendulum terminology and see if there might be an alternative term that could be more fitting and wouldn't clash with the word used for naval combat.
      The alternative term I used was "Spin", but I wanted to use the less-silly-sounding name for this introduction.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
        Oh hey, one of the copies I tried to publish finally got through.
        It got through cause Is went back to find it and give it a reply to brings it up.

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold
        There might be a more up-to-date version of the Form I've misplaced somewhere. I'm pretty sure I kept tweaking it in a separate document before I shelved this whole project in frustration.
        If you go to the forum home page and follow the Latest Topics link, you'll be able to find links to all of your messed up starting posts, so you'll be able to see every version that you tried displaying.

The alternative term I used was "Spin", but I wanted to use the less-silly-sounding name for this introduction.
        Just to put out some terminology that may be of interest, there is oscillation (the process by which a pendulum swings back and forth), period (the time taken to complete a swing), and amplitude (the actual width of the swing).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
          It got through cause Is went back to find it and give it a reply to brings it up.
          I mean that the website was doing That Thing again, where you can't make any posts or start any new threads. I wasn't complaining about being ignored.

If you go to the forum home page and follow the Latest Topics link, you'll be able to find links to all of your messed up starting posts, so you'll be able to see every version that you tried displaying.
          No, I'm talking about documents on my computer. I had one for the whole style, and another to workshop the form specifically. I grabbed this version of the Form Charm from the whole-style document.

Just to put out some terminology that may be of interest, there is oscillation (the process by which a pendulum swings back and forth), period (the time taken to complete a swing), and amplitude (the actual width of the swing).
          Yeah, that might be handy for following the Pendulum theme.

The other option is to hearken to vortexes in general, like tornadoes, waterspouts, and whirlpools. The Form's mechanics fit either theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
            I mean that the website was doing That Thing again, where you can't make any posts or start any new threads. I wasn't complaining about being ignored.
            Nono, I get that; what I'm saying is that when I saw it was working again, I went back through this and a few other Latest Topics (this being foremost because I had already seen you had tried posting it repeatedly) and answered it for the sake of making sure it would appear on the forum page.

Both as general solidarity, and I think it's an interesting topic to develop.

The other option is to hearken to vortexes in general, like tornadoes, waterspouts, and whirlpools. The Form's mechanics fit either theme.
            Those would work as well, but whatever term you gave for its power mechanic, I like the pendulum image because it's very distinct, gives a nice sense of the martial art having this very weird kind of motion, and because pendulums are cool.

Plus, you might be able to work some hypnotism in there...

Would you actually be open to the idea of it including some other elements following the pendulum imagery? I'm not pitching or anything, just feeling out your own direction.

Comment

Thank you for your support.

I can be open to ideas about the capstone and post-form Charms, because my primary goal with this Style is to capture how Nora Valkyrie and Meru fight with their mauls.

This form, the pre-form Charms, and one or two post-form Charms should be enough for that, and the rest could expand into more outright magical expressions of a theme.

Your idea of hypnosis is intriguing. I was thinking the style could do with a social influence dance Charm of some sort, and of course the form encourages dancing.

Comment

Working...
              X