Question about the Fair Folk book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Fair Folk book

The Fair Folk in Exalted seem conceptually similar to a group I'd like to introduce into my WOD chronicle but I have no familiarity with Exalted. Does anyone have an idea of how much flavor and mechanical guidance one could reasonable get from the Fair Folk book without being familiar with Exalted as a whole? Is it a litany of capital words that mean something special in the Exalted system or is there a fair chance I'd be able to pick up some things and modify them to fit in WOD?

The DTRPG preview wasn't quite long enough for me to figure that out. Thanks!

Forums are kinda borked right now, and you might have multiple posts, or might never see my answer, but I'm going to try.

So first disclaimer is that either edition's books weren't even that helpful even if you were familiar with Exalted, so temper everything else with that. They also presented a set of mechanics that were mostly separate from the main game line, where they almost had their own mini-game they played when they were alone in the Wyld. I read them, and reread them, probably went crazy, and then feel in love with what they could be.

The fluff is fairly similar in both books from what I recall, although First Edition was heavily edited by Jenna Moran, so evocative and whimsical, and second edition is that same material over-reiterated. I don't have the First Ed book handy so I can review it's mechanical implementation, but the in 2nd, the base rules about how Glamour, Fantasy's, Fae Bodies, locale movement, and passage of time in the Wyld is good fodder and a good jumping off point. There's also an extensive Errata, practically bordering on a second version of that book, that's free, although flipping between books is a pain.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

I think a lot of specifics would be mechanically tied, but there might be some worthwhile fluff and concepts to mine there.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Which edition of the Fair Folk book are you looking at?

Can you tell us more about your WoD chronicle? We might be able to point you at more useful resources? I know Changeling has lots of Fae related books.

Comment

Not sure mechanically but in terms of lore in Exalted: the Fair Folk and Graceful Wicked Masques, the Fair Folk could operate fairly independently from the rest of the Exalted setting.

The Freedom Stone is back, help it to live again.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
            Which edition of the Fair Folk book are you looking at?

Can you tell us more about your WoD chronicle? We might be able to point you at more useful resources? I know Changeling has lots of Fae related books.
            This is a Mage chronicle about characters in an umbra realm who are being attacked by forces who consider it sacrilege that the quintessence of the realm is being used to create fixed forms by the mages that are collecting and using it to make wonders. I was looking for some idea on what kind of powers such entities would have. Part of me wants to do a bit of mash up in that there is also a mists-like mechanic where characters largely forget about the attacks and characters go missing or people have wounds they don't recall getting and such.

I'm curious if those kind of beings could be negotiated with, how they could ultimately be stopped, or how they could otherwise be dealt with.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyCuriosity
              I was looking for some idea on what kind of powers such entities would have.

I actually think that the powers of the idigam from Werewolf the Forsaken (especially the core book of its Second Edition) would be a better fit for something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I actually think that the powers of the idigam from Werewolf the Forsaken (especially the core book of its Second Edition) would be a better fit for something like that.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
                Thanks for the recommendation. I read the White Wolf Wiki excerpt. Is there a book or reference that'd have a slightly higher level of detail? I find New World of Darkness a little impenetrable at times.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyCuriosity
                  I read the White Wolf Wiki excerpt. Is there a book or reference that'd have a slightly higher level of detail? I find New World of Darkness a little impenetrable at times.

I think the Wiki description may be a bit out of date, if only because the Second Edition core is a fair bit more explicit about them; breaks down how they work, gives some sample characters, lists powers and everything.

Buying an unrelated RPG book just to see a specific section is probably a bit much, so I would recommend posting a topic on the Forsaken forum and asking people to explain them a bit more, and maybe describe some of their powers in at least the basic outline.

Comment

Working...
                  X