Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lundgren View Post

All I could find is this on page 157:

While this somewhat supports a "the shard is put in the next host while still in the uterus," I find it also supporting "they sids can track the next host back to the parents before the new host is born" combined with a bit of 2nd ed writing.

Do you have a page number for what you referred to?
    That's what I meant actually. And generally how it's been talkeda bout by devs and the 1e book, which I don't have now. But yeah, when a Sidereal died, itw as a huge blow because well, their replacement and all that.

It's worth noting in 3e "shard" isn't the right term for this, since this is a 3e thread and about Lunars in context of that. It's not quite a host and more like, you're born already Chosen and fated to have a Second Breath. Think it less an object and like, your life is pretty much decided before you were born by the forces of the Maidens.

And stuff.
    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Random First Age Scholar: "Thinking of an exaltation as a distinct object is not particularly accurate, but it is occasionally a useful fiction when trying to understand the process."

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post
        That's what I meant actually.
        Then we really are reading very different things into that text

And generally how it's been talkeda bout by devs and the 1e book, which I don't have now. But yeah, when a Sidereal died, itw as a huge blow because well, their replacement and all that.
        I guess I should dig into 1st ed a bit as well

It's worth noting in 3e "shard" isn't the right term for this, since this is a 3e thread and about Lunars in context of that. It's not quite a host and more like, you're born already Chosen and fated to have a Second Breath. Think it less an object and like, your life is pretty much decided before you were born by the forces of the Maidens.
        And I thought 2nd ed was contradicting itself

Well, I guess I should remind myself this is a thread about a dev blog for Ex3 Lunars and I'm arguing things that seems to go a bit off topic

Comment

• ….. Nnnnnnope

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
          Thanks.
          Speaking of Amoth City-Smiter as an example of those gods who are still part of the system despite grating a bit, there was also a thing about how, when there were more Lunars into destroying civilisation on principle, he was said to make use of providing aid to them or hiring them for some specific work that he wanted. Probably aren't going to be as many Lunars of that bent, but that model of interaction can probably work for a few gods.

At the moment, I'm thinking that taking up a residence and some work might be something that the odd Lunar can manage, but might often be unsatisfying for them in the long term (even if that's on the order of several centuries in relative peace).

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
            At the moment, I'm thinking that taking up a residence and some work might be something that the odd Lunar can manage, but might often be unsatisfying for them in the long term (even if that's on the order of several centuries in relative peace).
            Yeah, that's right about where I am.

Comment

• I find it most useful to think of Exaltations -- at least, CELESTIAL Exaltations and their derivatives -- as divine, reincarnating souls born from the celestial gods.

This is obviously not the case for Alchemicals, Liminals, or Dragon-Blooded. For the Alchemical Exalted, their bodies and condition are their Exaltation. For Liminals, their own personal souls seem indistinguishable from their Exaltation.

For Dragon-Blooded, Exaltation seems like more of a second lower Po soul than a second higher Hun soul.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• A terrestrial exaltation seems to be more rooted in the physical than other types, a bit like alchemicals.

It's a soul, but one born of the mystic properties of their blood and unable to survive the death of their body.

Comment

• The view I think is less like, a soul, which still has this discreet object quality to it, and more like a legacy or title. If that makes any sense. A bit I notice is langauge like "host" or something. It gives this sense of it being a parasite and separate. While being the inheritor of an Exaltation's like, lineage or legacy or whatnot, has a different feel to me about how it exists spaciotemporily.

This matters especially with Sidereals. The Exaltation isn't so much a thing in the baby when they're born. It's a process that they are part of from birth, that continues whatever their predecessor was a part of.

And stuff.
                  My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• I can't help but feel we've started a very interesting but also very distinct thread here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                      I can't help but feel we've started a very interesting but also very distinct thread here.
                      Mm. A bit of musing before we maybe spin this off into its own thing:

For Terrestrials, Exaltation is very much a particular type of legacy, the legacy of blood family and their place within it.

For Alchemicals, they are the embodiment of a legacy of heroism, brought to life by Autochthon's power.

Liminals play up a very different angle on this - they were brought to life through someone else's driving emotions, through someone else's body/bodies. In an existence that has been/is shaped by others, they have to figure out who they are in relation to that.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Working...
                      X